【Effect Audio】 - New Product Launch - "Janus"
Mar 16, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 41
That makes it a bit more reasonable...why did they plate copper with palladium? I'm not trying to be sassy, but what are the sonic advantages?

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #32 of 41
I'm not trying to be sassy, but what are the sonic advantages?

The sonic advantages are the same as silver-coated copper - nothing.
At audio frequencies (~20kHz), the skin-depth of copper/silver is on the order of 0.5mm - i.e. thicker than the cable diameter.
Hence, the audio signal travel down the bulk of the conductor(s)...

why did they plate copper with palladium?

Marketing.
It's nicely done. But, it's still just a gimmick.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 41
That makes it a bit more reasonable...why did they plate copper with palladium? I'm not trying to be sassy, but what are the sonic advantages?

Palladium isn't as conductive as say, copper or silver. Simply put in almost all cases, less conductive = more resistance. A different resistance could mean a boost and attenuation at various frequencies, colouration of the sound, etc. What would a metal such as palladium do to the sound over say silver or copper (or gold), suppose we'll find out when it's tested! Is a higher resistance an advantage? that truly depends on your ears. Though the plating will be extremely thin compared to the copper used... so i don't think it'll effect it at all.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #34 of 41
@BoomBox hmm, the resistance thing makes sense, I mean I'm sure its really well made and sounds good, Effect makes awesome stuff, it just seems like such a transparent instance of marketing hype.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #35 of 41
These cables were being showed at Canjam NYC without a name, I'm sure someone here has listened to them.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #36 of 41
^
Maybe they couldn’t even tell a difference and just assumed it was from the regular lineup

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #37 of 41
^
Maybe they couldn’t even tell a difference and just assumed it was from the regular lineup
That was not the case here, the cables were not showed on the table, only was asked if someone wanted to try out. As for the differences, I was the one who tried most of their lineup. These new cables had very interesting sound signature, decent quality not lacking anything though I still prefer Leonidas to anything else on that table for its naturalness of tone.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #38 of 41
I still prefer Leonidas to anything else on that table for its naturalness of tone.

I can agree with you, the Leonidas is a wonderful cable, period.
Will listen to the new cables at the CanJam Singapore !!

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #41 of 41
I think we should just sell our audiophile cables and just purchase real gold for future investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back