【Earside Review】A Standalone Advanced DAC/Amp: Unveiling the World-Class CMA18 Portable
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Questyle

Sponsor: Questyle
This review piece is published by EARSIDE REVIEW, and republished here for convenience.

Introduction

This review may come a bit late to the party. In fact, when Questyle unveiled the CMA18 Portable (referred to as "CMA18P" hereafter) earlier this year at the Beijing exhibition, I, as a long-time user of the Q192 and also an owner of the M12 and M15, was quite intrigued by this decoding headphone amplifier. However, due to personal reasons, I couldn't experience it firsthand at the launch event.

In my opinion, the M12 and M15 were the leading products given their price, sound quality, and aesthetics. Yet, they were limited by their size and configuration. I always felt that they couldn't fully showcase the technical prowess and experience accumulated by Questyle, a brand that has been around for over a decade. As the flagship portable decoding headphone amplifier in Questyle' lineup, the CMA18P already appears much more "HiFi" in its product form (tends to be more like a high-quality product of the HiFi industry). With a more substantial size, a more complex circuit, and a built-in battery design, it resembles a "miniature version" of Questyle' desktop units rather than a simple accessory for mobile devices. In terms of pricing, the CMA18P's price tag of 4,490 is not exactly budget-friendly for a portable decoding headphone amplifier. It indicates that Questyle has some ambitious plans for this product.

Without further ado, let's discuss in detail the overall experience.

图片1.png

When it comes to packaging, Questyle has maintained a consistent style over the years, characterized by its simplicity, elegance, and a touch of minimalism. The packaging box features high-quality printing and paper, giving it a premium feel (an opulent appearance). While the black, white, and silver color scheme may lack novelty, it still retains an enduring appeal. One key element that has been consistently applied from the external packaging to the device itself is the popular "window design."

Although many brands in the market now attempt to create a similar design, Questyle can be considered one of the pioneers in incorporating it. While working on the CMA400i in 2017 and even earlier in the desktop units, Questyle actively used acrylic panels to showcase the internal structure of their devices. Two years ago, the M15 also adopted this design. Naturally, as the flagship portable decoding headphone amplifier, the CMA18P retains this classic element.

图片2.png

Although the fully transparent presentation may exude a futuristic vibe, it presents a certain challenge to the designers. If the arrangement of components isn't orderly or if the lighting is overly extravagant, it can detract from the overall appeal. However, for the CMA18P, the purpose of the full transparency design goes beyond showcasing the internal structure; it also reflects the device's operational status. Different areas of the device incorporate three lighting modes corresponding to gain mode, input mode, and single-ended/balanced operational circuit display. For instance, when operating in balanced mode, the operational area lights up with four small lights, Visually, it is incredibly captivating. As a result, the exterior design of the CMA18P, combining the large window and multiple sets of lights, gives the impression of order and efficiency, without being overly aggressive in its design.

The device features Corning glass on both sides and a sandblasted aerospace aluminum frame, resulting in an exquisite and delicate look. In terms of design and performance, Questyle has consistently delivered impressive results.

This device weighs around 150 grams, making it easy to hold. However, compared to smaller devices like the M15, it might feel slightly bulkier. If you plan to use it with a smartphone, you should use a strap or back attachment. Personally, I would prefer using it on the computer desk. Based on my experience, this device is highly suitable for professionals and travelers. It comes with its own battery, eliminating the need for smartphone power, and offers a battery life of up to 10 hours. Its compact size and weight make it easy to carry in various pockets (carry it around). It is also perfect for daily use and office work, even when switching between different modes.

Sound Experience — Aesthetic Aspect

If we consider the M12 and M15 from the past few years as Questyle's pioneering products in the portable decoding headphone amplifier industry, then the CMA18P, in terms of objective specifications and sound performance, can confidently be regarded as a robust mid-to-high-end decoding headphone amplifier. It can easily compete with some higher-priced players. In my opinion, its most noticeable improvement compared to Questyle' previous products doesn't primarily stem from a change in the decoding chip or circuit design. Instead, it comes from the shift in power supply, transitioning from smartphone power to independent power. This transition brings about a stronger sense of stability and a cleaner background, resulting in more abundant driving force and excellent compatibility. In fact, when personally selecting a portable decoding headphone amplifier, I generally lean towards models with built-in batteries. Even if we disregard the issue of smartphone battery life, in terms of both power supply stability and audio purity, it's challenging for smartphone power to match the performance of amplifiers with integrated batteries.

The CMA18P is equipped with the AK4493, a sub-flagship DAC chip, following Questyle' tradition of not chasing after flagship chips. For a decoding headphone amplifier of this size, both space and power should be taken into consideration. Factors such as chip quality, power consumption, heat generation, and requirements for circuit design all come into play. Compared to flagship chips, the AK4493, which is a relatively mature voltage output DAC, is more suitable.

In terms of its hardware performance, the CMA18P doesn't necessarily outshine mainstream high-end portable players in terms of information retrieval and separation. However, what pleasantly surprised me is the excellent musicality and rich nuances it exhibits, without appearing overly flattering. It demonstrates a rather sophisticated "sound aesthetic." My previous impression of most Questyle devices was that they delivered refined and smooth tonality with minimal coloration, maintaining a relatively serious and less distinctive style. However, in recent years, as they entered the realm of smaller devices, they made some adjustments to their sound signature.

Yet, I believe the M12 and M15 merely captured attention with their tonal adjustments but failed to retain the subtlety and listenability that Questyle is known for. With the CMA18P, Questyle has truly integrated its accumulated tuning experience and technology from the desktop realm into the portable decoding headphone amplifier.

图片3.png

The mid-frequency tonality of the CMA18P is relatively prominent within the tri-frequency range. It offers a fresh and delicate listening experience with a subtle touch of coloration. Overall, the sound is well-rounded, full-bodied, and quite relaxed, striking a perfect balance without artificially thickening vocals or getting too intimate. This sense of restraint in tuning is something I find quite clever in Questyle' approach. It enhances overall listenability as well as allows the CMA18P to deliver a pleasant mid-frequency performance when paired with headphones of different styles.

This sense of restraint extends to the lower frequencies as well. The device boasts of a strong and well-controlled bass response with good cohesion, elasticity, moderate quantity, and reasonable decay control, avoiding any excessive muddiness. Its soundstage is of moderate size, exhibiting well-defined boundaries. The dynamic performance isn't particularly pronounced, leaning towards a softer and smoother presentation. In relative terms, it is better suited for genres like pop, instrumental solos, and new age music.

Lastly, it's worth noting that this article focuses on the wired mode of the CMA18P. In most cases, I use it in wired mode, only resorting to its Bluetooth mode when wired connection is inconvenient. The Bluetooth mode of the CMA18P follows a similar sound signature to the wired mode, albeit with somewhat lower information density. Remarkably, its Bluetooth mode maintains a clean background and a relatively full tonality. While it may not surpass the inherent limitations of wireless transmission, it doesn't exhibit a pronounced "Bluetooth signature." In terms of the pure listening experience, the difference between Bluetooth and wired modes is not significant unless you pay close attention to information density.

Sound Experience — Pairing

After discussing the style of the CMA18P itself, in this section, I will share some personal recommendations for pairings. This device has a relatively gentle and delicate sound signature with a distinct personality (features that remains easy to manage. Therefore, it pairs well with different types of headphones and rarely results in a poor sound experience, occasionally even delivering surprising results.

Pop Genre: Temperament Bell-Black + CMA18P

The recent release from Temperament , the Bell-Black, paired with the CMA18P, is what I would call a "golden combo" that I stumbled upon unintentionally. Both the pricing and sound signature of these two devices complement each other perfectly, and their individual characteristics are fully realized. The CMA18P's relaxed and warm foundation, combined with the Bell-Black's inherent excellence in mid-frequency nuances and bass texture, creates a dynamic synergy, making it suitable for a wide range of Western and Chinese pop music.

When playing Taylor Swift's "Red," this combination delivers well-defined and powerful drum beats. As the song builds to a climax, the drumming becomes more urgent and forceful without any hint of chaos, instead creating a fantastic atmospheric experience. The real surprise comes from the portrayal of vocals in this setup. The vocals are slightly forward but not overly in-your-face, with a full and rich tonality, abundant emotion, and the ability to perfectly reproduce Taylor's sweet voice and singing details, all while maintaining a high level of emotional impact. When it comes to performing male vocals like Ed Sheeran, this combination offers a rich and full mid-frequency tonality with ample tension, making it a versatile pairing for pop music enthusiasts.

For those who appreciate vocals, the CMA18P in this price range is a user-friendly choice in terms of adaptability and form factor, as it delivers good results with almost any in-ear headphones known for their mid-frequency excellence.

图片4.png

Versatile Genre: Shanling ME900 + CMA18P

The combination of Shanling ME900 and CMA18P is a versatile and well-rounded pairing, making it one of the hassle-free options among the various combinations I've tested this time. The ME900 itself boasts of a well-balanced and warm sound signature, but it requires a certain level of control and information from the source. If not paired correctly, it might result in a somewhat closed soundstage and slightly subdued audio. The pairing with the CMA18P showcases the ME900's strengths in terms of spatial presentation and density while maintaining a balanced and enjoyable listening experience. It strikes a balance between tension and relaxation, considering both sound quality and listenability. This combination excels in interpreting various popular music genres with vocals, making it suitable for film soundtracks, jazz, and new age music, among other instrumental genres.

One of the tracks that truly impressed me with this combination is the theme song "Tank!" from "Cowboy Bebop," which happens to be one of my recent favorite reference tracks. It embodies the elegance, romance, and free-spiritedness of jazz. The track's development transitions from an elegant low hum at the beginning to a soaring climax, progressing from calm to dynamic, and from simplicity to complexity. This presents a significant challenge in terms of equipment's detail retrieval and tonal accuracy. While the ME900 and CMA18P combination may not have the most outstanding hardware attributes among the equipment I've tested, it excels in tonal richness and musicality. The brisk drumming, lively trumpet, and versatile saxophone, among other instrumental tones, exhibit exceptional tonal accuracy while maintaining a smooth and refined character. The mid-song vocal chants act as the finishing touch, adding a deep and powerful emotional dimension, creating an enchanting and emotionally resonant experience. Overall, this pairing offers a balanced performance in terms of sound quality, musicality, and adaptability, making it suitable for a wide range of music genres, including both instrumental and vocal-centric tracks.

图片5.png

Classical Genre: Sennheiser IE 900 + CMA18P

Personally, I believe that CMA18P has an overall style that leans towards being soft and delicate, which may not be the typical choice for handling large orchestral compositions. However, if you do have a desire to listen to classical music, you can still make a thoughtful choice in equipment pairing by selecting IEMs with a wide soundstage, great dynamics, and pronounced linear characteristics, such as the Perpetua, Jasper, IE 900 in combination with the CMA18P. In the realm of classical music, this setup performs quite well, and I'll focus on discussing the IE 900 in particular.

While IE 900 is considered a flagship-class IEM for classical music by many, its tuning doesn't necessarily pursue the extreme V-shaped sound signature like the IE 800. Instead, it offers a highly balanced and solid three-frequency distribution. Apart from maintaining the excellent high and low frequencies characteristic of Sennheiser's flagship headphones, the mid-range performance is also quite robust. This makes it a potentially good match for the CMA18P. The CMA18P provides ample driving power and decent control, allowing the IE 900 to showcase its capabilities effectively.

When paired together, this combination excels in reproducing various solo instrumental pieces, delivering rich details and a smooth tonality that's highly engaging. It also offers good separation and a reasonably wide soundstage, delivering precise imaging for chamber music and concertos. However, for extremely grand and complex large orchestral compositions, this pairing may not achieve the ideal state I envision, primarily due to limitations in overall information retrieval and transient response speed.

图片6.png

Regarding the pairing options for Full Size Headphones

The CMA18P uses Questyle's proprietary current mode amplification technology, offering a rated output power of 1W and an instantaneous output current of 2A. Out of curiosity, I tested its performance with various mid-range and low-end Full Size Headphones. Traditional Full Size Headphones like the DT990 Pro and HD 600 pair well with it, providing a pleasing, smooth, and detailed sound with good musicality. However, the low-frequency texture and density might not be fully realized. When paired with headphones like the Denon D5200, known for easy driving, you get a fuller sound with a more complete sonic structure. Overall, the CMA18P can drive Full Size Headphones decently, although it may not be the most ideal setup. It's suitable for casual listening scenarios like bedside or on the sofa.

However, if you've been following my reviews, you might know that I'm not a big fan of using traditional portable equipment to drive Full Size Headphones. I prefer cross-category devices or dedicated desktop setups. While the CMA18P can handle Full Size Headphones acceptably, it falls short in terms of dynamics and information compared to dedicated desktop amplifiers. If you appreciate Questyle's tuning and primarily use Circumaural headphone products, you might want to explore their CMA Fifteen or CMA Eighteen Master models for a more comprehensive listening experience.

In conclusion

In 2023, Questyle had a high frequency of new product releases. For instance, the CMA Eighteen Master flagship all-in-one desktop unit and the NHB12 Lossless Headphones became notable topics of discussion. Furthermore, the CMA18P, while not introducing a novel product form, also stands as one of Questyle's representative works in the realm of portable devices.

Since the release of the QPM, Questyle had not updated its player products for quite some time, and the consumer-oriented products from a few years ago may not have satisfied longtime fans. The CMA18P represents a new path for Questyle in the portable audio field. It maintains a user-friendly size, retains Questyle's distinctive design language, and breaks away from the category of "entry-level gear" in terms of hardware quality, adaptability, and musicality. It can serve as an advanced decoding and headphone amplifier for those looking for a portable device with a more significant impact, making it one of Questyle's most significant and milestone products in the portable audio segment in recent years.

图片7.png

Last edited:
Questyle Audio Engineering Stay updated on Questyle Audio Engineering at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/questyleaudioeng @Questyle_Technology https://www.questyle.com info@questyle.com
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 5
Introduction

This review may come a bit late to the party. In fact, when Questyle unveiled the CMA18 Portable (referred to as "CMA18P" hereafter) earlier this year at the Beijing exhibition, I, as a long-time user of the Q192 and also an owner of the M12 and M15, was quite intrigued by this decoding headphone amplifier. However, due to personal reasons, I couldn't experience it firsthand at the launch event.

In my opinion, the M12 and M15 were the leading products given their price, sound quality, and aesthetics. Yet, they were limited by their size and configuration. I always felt that they couldn't fully showcase the technical prowess and experience accumulated by Questyle, a brand that has been around for over a decade. As the flagship portable decoding headphone amplifier in Questyle' lineup, the CMA18P already appears much more "HiFi" in its product form (tends to be more like a high-quality product of the HiFi industry). With a more substantial size, a more complex circuit, and a built-in battery design, it resembles a "miniature version" of Questyle' desktop units rather than a simple accessory for mobile devices. In terms of pricing, the CMA18P's price tag of 4,490 is not exactly budget-friendly for a portable decoding headphone amplifier. It indicates that Questyle has some ambitious plans for this product.

Without further ado, let's discuss in detail the overall experience.

图片1.png

When it comes to packaging, Questyle has maintained a consistent style over the years, characterized by its simplicity, elegance, and a touch of minimalism. The packaging box features high-quality printing and paper, giving it a premium feel (an opulent appearance). While the black, white, and silver color scheme may lack novelty, it still retains an enduring appeal. One key element that has been consistently applied from the external packaging to the device itself is the popular "window design."

Although many brands in the market now attempt to create a similar design, Questyle can be considered one of the pioneers in incorporating it. While working on the CMA400i in 2017 and even earlier in the desktop units, Questyle actively used acrylic panels to showcase the internal structure of their devices. Two years ago, the M15 also adopted this design. Naturally, as the flagship portable decoding headphone amplifier, the CMA18P retains this classic element.

图片2.png

Although the fully transparent presentation may exude a futuristic vibe, it presents a certain challenge to the designers. If the arrangement of components isn't orderly or if the lighting is overly extravagant, it can detract from the overall appeal. However, for the CMA18P, the purpose of the full transparency design goes beyond showcasing the internal structure; it also reflects the device's operational status. Different areas of the device incorporate three lighting modes corresponding to gain mode, input mode, and single-ended/balanced operational circuit display. For instance, when operating in balanced mode, the operational area lights up with four small lights, Visually, it is incredibly captivating. As a result, the exterior design of the CMA18P, combining the large window and multiple sets of lights, gives the impression of order and efficiency, without being overly aggressive in its design.

The device features Corning glass on both sides and a sandblasted aerospace aluminum frame, resulting in an exquisite and delicate look. In terms of design and performance, Questyle has consistently delivered impressive results.

This device weighs around 150 grams, making it easy to hold. However, compared to smaller devices like the M15, it might feel slightly bulkier. If you plan to use it with a smartphone, you should use a strap or back attachment. Personally, I would prefer using it on the computer desk. Based on my experience, this device is highly suitable for professionals and travelers. It comes with its own battery, eliminating the need for smartphone power, and offers a battery life of up to 10 hours. Its compact size and weight make it easy to carry in various pockets (carry it around). It is also perfect for daily use and office work, even when switching between different modes.

Sound Experience — Aesthetic Aspect

If we consider the M12 and M15 from the past few years as Questyle's pioneering products in the portable decoding headphone amplifier industry, then the CMA18P, in terms of objective specifications and sound performance, can confidently be regarded as a robust mid-to-high-end decoding headphone amplifier. It can easily compete with some higher-priced players. In my opinion, its most noticeable improvement compared to Questyle' previous products doesn't primarily stem from a change in the decoding chip or circuit design. Instead, it comes from the shift in power supply, transitioning from smartphone power to independent power. This transition brings about a stronger sense of stability and a cleaner background, resulting in more abundant driving force and excellent compatibility. In fact, when personally selecting a portable decoding headphone amplifier, I generally lean towards models with built-in batteries. Even if we disregard the issue of smartphone battery life, in terms of both power supply stability and audio purity, it's challenging for smartphone power to match the performance of amplifiers with integrated batteries.

The CMA18P is equipped with the AK4493, a sub-flagship DAC chip, following Questyle' tradition of not chasing after flagship chips. For a decoding headphone amplifier of this size, both space and power should be taken into consideration. Factors such as chip quality, power consumption, heat generation, and requirements for circuit design all come into play. Compared to flagship chips, the AK4493, which is a relatively mature voltage output DAC, is more suitable.

In terms of its hardware performance, the CMA18P doesn't necessarily outshine mainstream high-end portable players in terms of information retrieval and separation. However, what pleasantly surprised me is the excellent musicality and rich nuances it exhibits, without appearing overly flattering. It demonstrates a rather sophisticated "sound aesthetic." My previous impression of most Questyle devices was that they delivered refined and smooth tonality with minimal coloration, maintaining a relatively serious and less distinctive style. However, in recent years, as they entered the realm of smaller devices, they made some adjustments to their sound signature.

Yet, I believe the M12 and M15 merely captured attention with their tonal adjustments but failed to retain the subtlety and listenability that Questyle is known for. With the CMA18P, Questyle has truly integrated its accumulated tuning experience and technology from the desktop realm into the portable decoding headphone amplifier.

图片3.png

The mid-frequency tonality of the CMA18P is relatively prominent within the tri-frequency range. It offers a fresh and delicate listening experience with a subtle touch of coloration. Overall, the sound is well-rounded, full-bodied, and quite relaxed, striking a perfect balance without artificially thickening vocals or getting too intimate. This sense of restraint in tuning is something I find quite clever in Questyle' approach. It enhances overall listenability as well as allows the CMA18P to deliver a pleasant mid-frequency performance when paired with headphones of different styles.

This sense of restraint extends to the lower frequencies as well. The device boasts of a strong and well-controlled bass response with good cohesion, elasticity, moderate quantity, and reasonable decay control, avoiding any excessive muddiness. Its soundstage is of moderate size, exhibiting well-defined boundaries. The dynamic performance isn't particularly pronounced, leaning towards a softer and smoother presentation. In relative terms, it is better suited for genres like pop, instrumental solos, and new age music.

Lastly, it's worth noting that this article focuses on the wired mode of the CMA18P. In most cases, I use it in wired mode, only resorting to its Bluetooth mode when wired connection is inconvenient. The Bluetooth mode of the CMA18P follows a similar sound signature to the wired mode, albeit with somewhat lower information density. Remarkably, its Bluetooth mode maintains a clean background and a relatively full tonality. While it may not surpass the inherent limitations of wireless transmission, it doesn't exhibit a pronounced "Bluetooth signature." In terms of the pure listening experience, the difference between Bluetooth and wired modes is not significant unless you pay close attention to information density.

Sound Experience — Pairing

After discussing the style of the CMA18P itself, in this section, I will share some personal recommendations for pairings. This device has a relatively gentle and delicate sound signature with a distinct personality (features that remains easy to manage. Therefore, it pairs well with different types of headphones and rarely results in a poor sound experience, occasionally even delivering surprising results.

Pop Genre: Temperament Bell-Black + CMA18P

The recent release from Temperament , the Bell-Black, paired with the CMA18P, is what I would call a "golden combo" that I stumbled upon unintentionally. Both the pricing and sound signature of these two devices complement each other perfectly, and their individual characteristics are fully realized. The CMA18P's relaxed and warm foundation, combined with the Bell-Black's inherent excellence in mid-frequency nuances and bass texture, creates a dynamic synergy, making it suitable for a wide range of Western and Chinese pop music.

When playing Taylor Swift's "Red," this combination delivers well-defined and powerful drum beats. As the song builds to a climax, the drumming becomes more urgent and forceful without any hint of chaos, instead creating a fantastic atmospheric experience. The real surprise comes from the portrayal of vocals in this setup. The vocals are slightly forward but not overly in-your-face, with a full and rich tonality, abundant emotion, and the ability to perfectly reproduce Taylor's sweet voice and singing details, all while maintaining a high level of emotional impact. When it comes to performing male vocals like Ed Sheeran, this combination offers a rich and full mid-frequency tonality with ample tension, making it a versatile pairing for pop music enthusiasts.

For those who appreciate vocals, the CMA18P in this price range is a user-friendly choice in terms of adaptability and form factor, as it delivers good results with almost any in-ear headphones known for their mid-frequency excellence.

图片4.png

Versatile Genre: Shanling ME900 + CMA18P

The combination of Shanling ME900 and CMA18P is a versatile and well-rounded pairing, making it one of the hassle-free options among the various combinations I've tested this time. The ME900 itself boasts of a well-balanced and warm sound signature, but it requires a certain level of control and information from the source. If not paired correctly, it might result in a somewhat closed soundstage and slightly subdued audio. The pairing with the CMA18P showcases the ME900's strengths in terms of spatial presentation and density while maintaining a balanced and enjoyable listening experience. It strikes a balance between tension and relaxation, considering both sound quality and listenability. This combination excels in interpreting various popular music genres with vocals, making it suitable for film soundtracks, jazz, and new age music, among other instrumental genres.

One of the tracks that truly impressed me with this combination is the theme song "Tank!" from "Cowboy Bebop," which happens to be one of my recent favorite reference tracks. It embodies the elegance, romance, and free-spiritedness of jazz. The track's development transitions from an elegant low hum at the beginning to a soaring climax, progressing from calm to dynamic, and from simplicity to complexity. This presents a significant challenge in terms of equipment's detail retrieval and tonal accuracy. While the ME900 and CMA18P combination may not have the most outstanding hardware attributes among the equipment I've tested, it excels in tonal richness and musicality. The brisk drumming, lively trumpet, and versatile saxophone, among other instrumental tones, exhibit exceptional tonal accuracy while maintaining a smooth and refined character. The mid-song vocal chants act as the finishing touch, adding a deep and powerful emotional dimension, creating an enchanting and emotionally resonant experience. Overall, this pairing offers a balanced performance in terms of sound quality, musicality, and adaptability, making it suitable for a wide range of music genres, including both instrumental and vocal-centric tracks.

图片5.png

Classical Genre: Sennheiser IE 900 + CMA18P

Personally, I believe that CMA18P has an overall style that leans towards being soft and delicate, which may not be the typical choice for handling large orchestral compositions. However, if you do have a desire to listen to classical music, you can still make a thoughtful choice in equipment pairing by selecting IEMs with a wide soundstage, great dynamics, and pronounced linear characteristics, such as the Perpetua, Jasper, IE 900 in combination with the CMA18P. In the realm of classical music, this setup performs quite well, and I'll focus on discussing the IE 900 in particular.

While IE 900 is considered a flagship-class IEM for classical music by many, its tuning doesn't necessarily pursue the extreme V-shaped sound signature like the IE 800. Instead, it offers a highly balanced and solid three-frequency distribution. Apart from maintaining the excellent high and low frequencies characteristic of Sennheiser's flagship headphones, the mid-range performance is also quite robust. This makes it a potentially good match for the CMA18P. The CMA18P provides ample driving power and decent control, allowing the IE 900 to showcase its capabilities effectively.

When paired together, this combination excels in reproducing various solo instrumental pieces, delivering rich details and a smooth tonality that's highly engaging. It also offers good separation and a reasonably wide soundstage, delivering precise imaging for chamber music and concertos. However, for extremely grand and complex large orchestral compositions, this pairing may not achieve the ideal state I envision, primarily due to limitations in overall information retrieval and transient response speed.

图片6.png

Regarding the pairing options for Full Size Headphones

The CMA18P uses Questyle's proprietary current mode amplification technology, offering a rated output power of 1W and an instantaneous output current of 2A. Out of curiosity, I tested its performance with various mid-range and low-end Full Size Headphones. Traditional Full Size Headphones like the DT990 Pro and HD 600 pair well with it, providing a pleasing, smooth, and detailed sound with good musicality. However, the low-frequency texture and density might not be fully realized. When paired with headphones like the Denon D5200, known for easy driving, you get a fuller sound with a more complete sonic structure. Overall, the CMA18P can drive Full Size Headphones decently, although it may not be the most ideal setup. It's suitable for casual listening scenarios like bedside or on the sofa.

However, if you've been following my reviews, you might know that I'm not a big fan of using traditional portable equipment to drive Full Size Headphones. I prefer cross-category devices or dedicated desktop setups. While the CMA18P can handle Full Size Headphones acceptably, it falls short in terms of dynamics and information compared to dedicated desktop amplifiers. If you appreciate Questyle's tuning and primarily use Circumaural headphone products, you might want to explore their CMA Fifteen or CMA Eighteen Master models for a more comprehensive listening experience.

In conclusion

In 2023, Questyle had a high frequency of new product releases. For instance, the CMA Eighteen Master flagship all-in-one desktop unit and the NHB12 Lossless Headphones became notable topics of discussion. Furthermore, the CMA18P, while not introducing a novel product form, also stands as one of Questyle's representative works in the realm of portable devices.

Since the release of the QPM, Questyle had not updated its player products for quite some time, and the consumer-oriented products from a few years ago may not have satisfied longtime fans. The CMA18P represents a new path for Questyle in the portable audio field. It maintains a user-friendly size, retains Questyle's distinctive design language, and breaks away from the category of "entry-level gear" in terms of hardware quality, adaptability, and musicality. It can serve as an advanced decoding and headphone amplifier for those looking for a portable device with a more significant impact, making it one of Questyle's most significant and milestone products in the portable audio segment in recent years.

图片7.png
I am confused why this review is posted by Questyle itself? Is it written by one of your staff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back