“Dual Disc” DVD-Audio/CDs coming soon!
Sep 9, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 5
I saw that article, but I've been told the DVD Consortium hasn't approved the new format (it's thinker). If this is true I think it stretches the imagination that they will get final approval, setup the manufacturing process and ship discs in 3 months. Of course I would LOVE to be proven wrong! thanks for the post KR.

Sep 9, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Woops, sorry I see they already covered that! (blush)
redface.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 5
This doesn't go into much technical detail. How does a dual disc work? Recently in Thailand they began selling what they call DVD 10 disc. They've called single layer dvds DVD 5, high density dvds DVD 9 and now DVD 10s have come along with a different movie encoded on either side of the disc: with Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 2 on the same disc, for example. One problem, though, is that you can't print a nice label on the discs, since both sides of the disc contain information.

Sep 9, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
This doesn't go into much technical detail. How does a dual disc work?

If I'm not mistaking.
The dual layer disc they talk about is one layer DVD audio that playable in a DVD-audio player and a second layer of redbook CD that playable in any cd player so you can take your DVD/CD in your car with only normal cd player or your pcdp.

How dual layer work is by changing the focus of the lens to be able to see the DVD layer. The cd layer is on normal cd focus and the DVD layer is on a different focus. Well at least this is how dual layer DVD-video work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back