μPA... a super simple, all-tube, good sounding, very Stax-ious and very evil headphone amp for high-sensitive IEM's.
May 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 22
Don't have stax transformers floating around? then you wait, you search, you hunt them little steel boxes down! You do want the sound to be "stax-ious", no?
wink_face.gif

Now if you want to use other transformers, then why use 6GM8?
ph34r.gif
 Might as well go one 5687 per channel (parallel both sections),  use air-gapped SE output transformers (probably $200 a pair from Hammond, they will give you that "hammond-ious" sound
tongue.gif
),  set B+ to around 250V, set idel current at 15mA per tube... That should drive all >105dB/mW IEM's well. However that will be a large and expensive build, not suitable for DIY beginners, not super safe (as a bedside rig), and has no potential of going battery-powered/transportable. why would anybody want to do that?
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 22
Well, that is indeed one option. Not really where I was looking to go though.

I happen to have a stash of 6GM8's, so, doing a low power implementation based upon that tube is appealing. Same with the stash of millet tubes I have (12AE6/FK6). 

I will keep my eyes open for the stax transformers, but, realistically, I want to keep my options open. I will do the design work and find a properly spec'ed transformer. They have me intrigued as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back