γ1 (gamma 1) DAC thread
Oct 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #151 of 159
I did my research but it seems that I couldn't find any comparison between the γ1 and Pico DAC. I have the Pico DAC/Amp with me right now and it's a very musical sounding unit. Not very resolving nor detailed but very pleasant to hear nonetheless.

I'm interested on how the Pico compares with the γ1.

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #152 of 159
I have read on another forum from somebody whose opinion I trust that the Pico DAC is all-round better than the y1.

Though realistically, the y2 is the more appropriate competitor to the Pico. Haven't seen any comparisons against that though......

May 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #153 of 159
Hi guys. I'm looking for a good DAC to add to my rig and it seems to me a Gamma-1 would be another good choice for me. I have some questions though:

1. Could it be powered directly via USB or does it need to have a separate PSU? If there's an option for either, do they differ in sound?
2. Is it possible that instead of other input choices, I would ask for a 3.5mm line-in along with the USB input? 
3. How does the Gamma sound compared to... pretty much every DAC in the same price range?

Thank you guys and have a good day. :D

May 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #154 of 159

Quote:
1. Could it be powered directly via USB or does it need to have a separate PSU? If there's an option for either, do they differ in sound?

It supports USB power, as well as external wallwart power (depending on specific configuration).  See the y1 website for full details.

Quote:
2. Is it possible that instead of other input choices, I would ask for a 3.5mm line-in along with the USB input?

y1 is a DAC (aka digital-to-analog converter), it does not support analog inputs.

Quote:
3. How does the Gamma sound compared to... pretty much every DAC in the same price range?

You can do a little googling and find out for youself.

May 19, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #155 of 159
Oh yeah, forgot the Gamma is a DAC. Silly me.

Done loads of research earlier and it seems to me this DAC is pretty killer for the price. Beats a lot of others even way beyond its price range. I might commission one from MisterX once I get some money; I want one with a USB-only input and RCA for output. Thanks for the reply amb. 
dt880smile.png

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #157 of 159

Excellent DAC, to say the least. What it improved to my current setup are three C's: Clarity, Crispness, and Cleanness of sound. It's a budget device that easily upgrades any rig, which in my case my mid-fi setup with the AV30's and HD-25's. Instrument separation is superb, as is tightness across all throughout the spectrum. Bass is more controlled and vocals sound fuller and more realistic. I owe Marshall big time for this!

beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #158 of 159
Well I may just ahve to get Mister X to build me one of these, is the Y2 a better DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back