β22 for K1000s and some speakers
Aug 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nnotis

500+ Head-Fier
There's an existing thread about this in the DIY section. But I didn't get a sense, one way or another, as to whether or not the β22 can effectively drive K1000s and some efficient speakers. It clearly has enough power for the K1000s. But how does it sound? Any thoughts?

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an existing thread about this in the DIY section. But I didn't get a sense, one way or another, as to whether or not the β22 can effectively drive K1000s and some efficient speakers. It clearly has enough power for the K1000s. But how does it sound? Any thoughts?

Sounds like crap

atsmile.gif
kidding

The power output of a β22 is dependent on the PSU(s) up to a point, and also somewhat on the configuration (balanced vs active ground vs 2 board). Any of the reasonable configurations is adequate for K1000's. I'm extremely happy with my balanced & dual PSU version driving K1K's.

My β22 takes turns with a homebrew single ended 300b tube amp as the choice to drive my K1000's. The β22 is by far the more proficient and transparent amp of the two. It is the most proficient and transparent headphone amp I've heard. The power stiffens the bass of K1K's up to a remarkable degree, which is their only real shortcoming as headphones. I sometimes like tube sound coloration, and that's why I keep a tube power amp to drive my K1000's, but there is no question it is second fiddle to the β22.

I only have magnepan MG-1's for speakers, and my β22 isn't up to driving them. Just guessing, I think a β22 would be a great amp for small & efficient satellites (especially 16 ohm and up impedance) without any trade off for being a headphone driver design. There isn't a substitute for raw power though and the β22 shows weakness on power hungry & low impedance speakers like my 'pans.

Aug 30, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 5
bada bing. Nice write-up.
I can't wait to hear the β22 with my K1000, and to compare it against the Signature 30.2

nnotis. From what I have read around here I am quite sure you can't go much wrong with a β22 for the K1000. Its reported to be an excellent match. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 5
*Sigh* I wish Naamf were still building those super sexy two box ß22 amps.
His has got to be the loveliest ever built and wetted my appetite to try one .

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 5
A Beta should have no trouble driving efficient speakers. I have one in my office driving a pair of System Audion SA705 which I believe are 89db. My amp is a low gain version and it drives the SA's to decent volume and sounds great. If you used speakers that are 91db or higher and a beta with a medium to high gain, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back