£500 System...Active Speakers?
Jun 11, 2005 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Peppermint Duck

100+ Head-Fier
I want to build a £500 system, but need some advice on a) the components to include and b) whether it's necessary to use passive speakers over active. If I'm right in thinking, when you use active speakers (because they're already amplified) you wouldn't need an amplifier...so wouldn't that eliminate a lot of the cost/allow me to spend evenly on the source/speakers? I'm guessing I'm wrong though, or perhaps just, at this level passive speakers are a lot better than active ones because no one ever seems to recommend them.

To give you an idea of the kind of music I listen to: Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Smashing Pumpkins etc.

I know people always say 'audition to see what you like the most', but I find, certainly at my local Hi-Fi store(s) that's impossible. I know Richer Sounds are in the Guinness World Records for having the most items to store space ratio, and when you go in there it doesn't look like there's anywhere to 'test' any of the systems with other components.

Something I find people always fail to recommend is a set of good speakers in that price range (around the £150 - 200 mark I suppose). That's probably because I'm in a headphone forum (!) but if you could suggest anything based on my music tastes I'd appreciate it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back