~£500 budget for DAC, what should I be looking for?
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:
At this price range it makes more sense to go for a DAC where the USB input is quite good and does not need any separate converter, simpler and more cost-effective.

Easier said than done in the UK with import prices and whatnot :)

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 26
Hi there, Ruds and all! If you don't mind, I'm going to shotgun this thread a bit.

I'm using a HD600 myself with the E7/E9 combo. While it's a pretty decent rig, I'm sure the HD600 can sound better if it's fed with a better source (something that I can vouch for when I casually hooked up an Arcam rDAC to the E9 with a QED Performance Audio J2P) or at least a decent source that has a good analog output stage (which obviously the E7 isn't really up to scratch in this department).

Ok...grandfather story aside, I'm contemplating moving away from the Fiio sound and moving on to maybe the HA-160 (not the D version). If (say) I have about the same kind of budget as Ruds for a USB DAC (<500 quid), what would be a good match with the HA160? In particular, I'm looking for something that has good soundstage (as good or wider/deeper than the Fiio, which is already quite decent), a touch more sparkle, deep, punchy bass and rich mids (without being too sluggish - like the Fiio is). Also, I'm not too sure about whether the "fluffy", veiled sound I'm hearing is from the Sennheiser or the DAC. Will borrow a pair of Grados to try soon and update when done.

From my research, the 160D's integrated is said to not perform well in the soundstage dept, whereas the HRT MS2+ kinda falls short in transient and bass performance.

I'm not too particular about power options (bus-powered, IEC/AC or even wall-warts are fine) so long as the general sonic criteria are met. Cheers, guys! Hope to hear from you soon!

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 26
The Rega DAC would be a great match for the Burson 160, very musical, organic and involving. When paired with the dynamic, PRaT offerings of the Burson, you'd be in for a treat.

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
The Rega DAC would be a great match for the Burson 160, very musical, organic and involving. When paired with the dynamic, PRaT offerings of the Burson, you'd be in for a treat.

Interesting! But if say I decide to open up my amping options to include both the Matrix M-stage and Lehmann BCL (*HUGE* price tag disparity, I know), would the DAC options change then?

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:
Interesting! But if say I decide to open up my amping options to include both the Matrix M-stage and Lehmann BCL (*HUGE* price tag disparity, I know), would the DAC options change then?

The Rega DAC is held in very high regard, I would imagine those amps will be a very good match.

I'll be auditioning the Rega DAC with an M-Stage myself, sometime next week :¬)

Jun 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

The Rega DAC is held in very high regard, I would imagine those amps will be a very good match.

I'll be auditioning the Rega DAC with an M-Stage myself, sometime next week :¬)

Nice! Do keep us informed of your findings, esp with the filters over USB. I didn't seem to get much love out of them when I auditioned them with their own Rega EAR amp (using my own HD600, ofc.).

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:
Nice! Do keep us informed of your findings, esp with the filters over USB. I didn't seem to get much love out of them when I auditioned them with their own Rega EAR amp (using my own HD600, ofc.).

Well, the results were quite surprising.

A) MBP > ALAC > Fidelia > Matrix Mini-I > M-Stage
B) Mac Pro > ALAC > Fidelia > Rega DAC > M-Stage

M-Stage > HD650

Music: Norah Jones (Come Away With Me), Pink Floyd (DSOTM, Division Bell), Trentemoller (Last Resort 2CD), Joe Bonamassa (Ballad of John Henry), Fleetwood Mac (The Dance), Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms), Jazz at the Pawn Shop.

Using the M-Stage to flick between sources, I couldn't tell any differences, at all. A blind test would be impossible to my ears. They are so similar, I was convinced the M-Stage was not working and had to change the volume on Fidelia to check. The Mini-I is a seriously good DAC.

Also worth mentioning is that the NuForce HDP performs on par with the Matrix combo, and costs less (in the UK anyway).

Rega DAC is going back, and some LCD-2s arrive soon for more comparisons. Interesting to see if the HDP can drive them as well as the M-Stage. I'm expecting the HDP to be able to, as the 650s are 300 ohms. LCD-2s are 50.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Well, the results were quite surprising.

A) MBP > ALAC > Fidelia > Matrix Mini-I > M-Stage
B) Mac Pro > ALAC > Fidelia > Rega DAC > M-Stage

M-Stage > HD650

Music: Norah Jones (Come Away With Me), Pink Floyd (DSOTM, Division Bell), Trentemoller (Last Resort 2CD), Joe Bonamassa (Ballad of John Henry), Fleetwood Mac (The Dance), Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms), Jazz at the Pawn Shop.

Using the M-Stage to flick between sources, I couldn't tell any differences, at all. A blind test would be impossible to my ears. They are so similar, I was convinced the M-Stage was not working and had to change the volume on Fidelia to check. The Mini-I is a seriously good DAC.

Also worth mentioning is that the NuForce HDP performs on par with the Matrix combo, and costs less (in the UK anyway).

Very interesting indeed. Just to question the testing method a bit, though...

Any reason at all for not using the same computer to run the tests? Also, what sort of connections are we looking at here from PC to DACs?

Also, I'm wondering if the M-stage itself is already at fullest capacity or can it still show more potential to scale further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rega DAC is going back, and some LCD-2s arrive soon for more comparisons. Interesting to see if the HDP can drive them as well as the M-Stage. I'm expecting the HDP to be able to, as the 650s are 300 ohms. LCD-2s are 50.

If only all cans are created equal...
smily_headphones1.gif

From whatever limited I know, orthos are supposed to require quite a lot from their amps (something to the tune of watts and not miliwatts, I hear?). So much so, the usual parameters of impedances are thrown completely out of the window.
beyersmile.png

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Very interesting indeed. Just to question the testing method a bit, though...

Any reason at all for not using the same computer to run the tests? Also, what sort of connections are we looking at here from PC to DACs?

Also, I'm wondering if the M-stage itself is already at fullest capacity or can it still show more potential to scale further?

If only all cans are created equal...
smily_headphones1.gif

From whatever limited I know, orthos are supposed to require quite a lot from their amps (something to the tune of watts and not miliwatts, I hear?). So much so, the usual parameters of impedances are thrown completely out of the window.
beyersmile.png

Matrix Mini-I = USB
Rega DAC = Toslink

Using different computers so I could A/B test without having to lose seconds changing settings. Far easier to flick the switch! The Macs are identical software wise and set-up wise. The same files were used. I would not expect that to make any noticeable difference, and leave that kind of thing to people who say they can tell the difference between ALAC and FLAC (which I certainly can't) :wink:

I did think that about the M-Stage being the bottleneck, but project86's review mentions how good of a performer it is, so I'm taking his word for it. I may try and get a loaner of a more expensive amp.

Update: Lehmann BC Audio Linear on its way to me :)

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 26
Hello once again guys! I got distracted for a while... I've been reading though the forum some more, how does the Matrix Mini I stack up to the DacMini?

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #26 of 26

Quote:

$800 budget for DAC, what should I be looking for?

Your sanity. In my opinion a $800 DAC won't sound better than a $300 one. Maybe differently coloured, but for DACs neutral = neutral. Especially on a HD598. Just get one that has a decent build and sounds neutral. Expensive DACs won't give you magic. I have tried different boutique DACs, looking for improvements and differences but I couldn't hear a noteworthy improvement over my trusty and dead neutral $150 Tascam. There are numerous blind tests online that made me realise it wasn't just my hearing.

You could look into EQ'ing though, that will change signatures more than any DAC will, and is less unpredictable. And less expensive. 
wink_face.gif

For great build and neutrality, I always liked studio gear the most. Brands like Tascam, M-audio, Presonus, RME, Edirol and Lexicon (generally) offer better build quality and bang for your buck than boutique "audiophile" DACs.

Amplification on the other hand... But that's a wholly different discussion. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back