~£500 budget for DAC, what should I be looking for?
Jun 9, 2011 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Ruds

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I know this will have been asked to death but I am overwhelmed by the choices out there!

I have a 2010 MBP, use iTunes Lossless and have a set of HD598. From what I can see a DAC looks like the next step, but there are so many!

What would you guys recommend as being a good choice and inline with the components I already have?

My 598's just don't sound anywhere near as detailed or revealing as I was expecting but it has to be the MBP output right?

Thank guys :wink:

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 26
I don't really need the portability of the DAC you suggest, I'm curious what compromises are made to make a USB powered DAC when I've read other people worried about wall plug power supplies not being good enough or hearing problems because of it, surely USB powered is worse still?

Also when I travel I usually travel as lightly as possible because I have some heavy bike kit I always travel with so I wouldn't be able to take my cans or a DAC with me, just my Etymotics.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 26
Your initial post doesn't state whether you have a headphone amp already and you don't list anything in your profile so it's a bit unclear whether you need a DAC or a DAC and an amp.

If need a DAC/Amp combo and you don't need the portability of the DACport and your budget will allow for it I'd suggest looking at the DACmini. More connection versatility with USB, Optical and Coaxial as well as line inputs and outputs. It also offers a more powerful amp and supposedly a step up in sound quality in a reasonably small sized package.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Your initial post doesn't state whether you have a headphone amp already and you don't list anything in your profile so it's a bit unclear whether you need a DAC or a DAC and an amp.

If need a DAC/Amp combo and you don't need the portability of the DACport and your budget will allow for it I'd suggest looking at the DACmini. More connection versatility with USB, Optical and Coaxial as well as line inputs and outputs. It also offers a more powerful amp and supposedly a step up in sound quality in a reasonably small sized package.

Sorry elnero, I have nothing other than a MBP & my HD958's. I'm just trying to learn about these things, I'm reading as much as I can. I'll have a look at the DACmini.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 26
In that case you'll need an amp to go along with a DAC or you could get DAC/Amp combo like the DACmini.

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
In that case you'll need an amp to go along with a DAC or you could get DAC/Amp combo like the DACmini.

Ok, am I right in assuming a DAC & seperate Amp would be better than a combined unit like the DACmini? 

If thats the case and I'm now looking for two things could I get some more recomendations?

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 26
The Macbook Pros have quite good headphone outs. However you will hear a difference with a DAC and amp.

Take a look at the NuForce HDP, $449 new. Very nice DAC and amp together. or of course the budget solution Fiio E7, DAC and amp, drives the Senns well (I have the same setup).

I currently use the E7 only as DAC (with the optional L7) and then amp the signal with a Schiit Asgard. Love it.

I will pickup tonight a used NuForce HDP and compare it as DAC and DAC/Amp. Can't wait to get it...

All the best,
K

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 26

Quote:

Ok, am I right in assuming a DAC & seperate Amp would be better than a combined unit like the DACmini?

Not necessarily, like all things it depends on the quality of components, design and implementation. The DACmini (and other combo units) can best many separates but then there are separates that will best the DACmini. I could have went for separates myself but within my budget I felt I'd likely get better price/performance from an all in one as you're not paying for two chassis and other components. It really comes down to a matter of preference and priorities. For me the DACmini is a unit that does a very nice job driving the LCD-2's and depending on what I feel my priority is it will allow me to upgrade either DAC or amp down the road if I so choose.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 26
Change the headphones !

An Amp or Dac will not **fundamentally** alter the sound of the headphones, despite what you might read here, it will not cure a dip in the FR or a roll-off in the phones.  I have owned many pairs of full sized Senns and they do tend to have a certain sound, if this is a sound that you just do not like then a 500 quid DAC/AMP is throwing good money after bad. I can comfortably drive my 580s from my Laptop and the sound is not very different from that going through my external DAC (Entech 203.2) and Amp (M^3) , I just did a quick swap.

500 quid will you a lot of music !

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 26
Change the headphones !

An Amp or Dac will not **fundamentally** alter the sound of the headphones, despite what you might read here, it will not cure a dip in the FR or a roll-off in the phones.  I have owned many pairs of full sized Senns and they do tend to have a certain sound, if this is a sound that you just do not like then a 500 quid DAC/AMP is throwing good money after bad. I can comfortably drive my 580s from my Laptop and the sound is not very different from that going through my external DAC (Entech 203.2) and Amp (M^3) , I just did a quick swap.

500 quid will you a lot of music !

Thank your for your post! I reread what I originally wrote and I over stated it I think. I like the sound of the 598's they just sound slightly hidden or veiled with the details that I was expecting. I have a £3500 separates system in my van and really enjoy listening to music during the day. My job as an athlete gives me a lot of down time to recover during the day and I enjoy the easy goig nature of the 598's. I just feel that this lack of detail (or whatever it is) is probably due to the MBP.

These are just my first steps in to the headphone world so I don't mind buying equipment, I intend to use headphones for a long time to come so I think I'd like to try an amp and or DAC and see where that takes me!

What's the opinion of the Little Dot amps if I where to combine them with a DAC?

And thank you so far guys I really appreciate your time and help!

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 26
Getting a decent amp and DAC is certainly not going to hurt.

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 26
How about the Matrix Mini-I?

http://www.headphonista.com/matrix-mini-i/

Even better, if you buy it from AmpCity they offer a 30 day in home audition. It's a great way to see if a DAC/AMP will give you the improvement you're after. Nothing to lose.

If you pair it with the Music Fidelity VLink you then get asynchronous USB to S/PDIF at 24/96 (also has 30 return policy).

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4917&md=7dbb0fe50dd35766b3628bd06d5381af

A refundable free trial which leaves you £140, which could go towards a Matrix M-Stage if you fancied it (again, 30 day trial from AmpCity).

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent
http://www.headphonista.com/matrix-m-stage/

This is exactly what I'm doing. I was very (very) close to pulling the trigger on a Burson 160D and LCD-2's (£1.6K total in UK), but I'm opting for the Mini-I first, as it could easily produce the music quality I'm after. I'll try the M-Stage in a couple of weeks after getting used to Mini-I headphone amp. I use HD595's btw, although I might grab some used HD600's. Also worth mentioning I use speakers for 70% of listening, headphones for 30%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back