£400 budget - Amp+HD650 OR D5000 (or something else)
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

wombar

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm on the lookout for a nice set of headphones and I would really appreciate some advice. I currently have some Sony MDR-V6's which I have had for years (probably at least 10 years if not more) which have served me proud but I'd like something a lot nicer.

I listen to a massive range of music (Rock/Metal more than anything else), so would like something that can do a bit of everything. I also do a fair amount of recording (Rock/Acoustic Guitar), so it would be fantastic if I could have something relatively neutral for when I'm trying to do some mixing late at night with the cans on.

Comfort is a MAJOR factor, so if that's something that could influence one choice over another please let me know.

After a lot of reading, I think have the following choice to make:

Option 1: Go for a set of Denon D5000 (or similar) which retail for about £400 in the UK and leave it at that. An amp might be purchased in the future, but I'm still not sure.

Option 2: Buy some HD650's and something like a Little Dot MkIII which will end up costing about £400 for both.

I listen solely to MP3's at 320Kbps or APE's (lossless format) via a PC with my RME Fireface 800 (through the headphone jack). I also own a Marantz SR7400 but that is used when listening to my speakers (Quad 12L's through a Quad 909).

I realise that an amp would be nice, but is the Fireface capable of doing the D5000's justice without an amp? I have £400 to spend and I'm just not sure which is going to give me a better listening experience.

Please help me decide
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back