£300-ish DAC/AMP for HD600
May 19, 2009 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jvc4ever

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I'm looking for a headphone amp/dac to connect to both my PC and my tape out of my Arcam amp (which is, in turn, connected to an Arcam CD73T spinner and a Thorens black plastic player). If there are any valve-based designs, that would be a bonus, because I love the look and don't (and never have had) any valve equipment! My 600s are completly standard, and also if you could advise me the best cheap upgrade for them, that would be good!

All suggestions appreciated!! Thanks!
atsmile.gif

May 20, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 9
I went for the Compass, and would do so again.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Ok, the Compass looks perfect for my needs - one thing though; I can't find a price for it!!
edit: I just noticed AudioPhewl that your from Blighty too - which site did you order yours off because the shipping is a bit pricey on their own site...

May 20, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvc4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the Compass looks perfect for my needs - one thing though; I can't find a price for it!!
edit: I just noticed AudioPhewl that your from Blighty too - which site did you order yours off because the shipping is a bit pricey on their own site...

From their website:
Price: USD258 (The initial promotional price , this price will end at 31th May.)
(Excluding shipping charge)
1th Jun. price will become USD330

I ordered it from their site directly. Compared to prices for example in UK Royal Mail, Audio-GD shipping prices are low as hell
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shipping cost isn't so expensive in other countries... Note there will be import tax/custom charges though.

That is true. I for example benefit also from the cheap USD since we have euro in Finland. without taxes and customs fees, I was quoted for 245eur (inc. shipping) which is in an acceptable and lowish price range for me. Not looking forward the customs fees..
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 9
I am looking at the compass also. Am I right to thni that it is solid state rather than tube based though?
Are there any tube based amp/dac combos in this kind of price bracket?

May 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvc4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The manufacturer, Audio-GD. Shipping is at cost, which is already reduced because of the amount they sell. Mine came in at around £230 delivered, with an extra £19 for customs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Worth every penny, IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back