£300 budget - Best earphones to buy
Jun 27, 2018 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tommo12

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Really new to this world so looking for some steer on what I should be looking at for a budget of around £300.

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Yes, sorry, exactly that. I have seen the Shure SE535, SE425’s but wonder if there’s anything better available for my money.

I’m just looking to use them for general music listening often through Spotify if that makes a difference.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 12
Depends on what sound signature you prefer. Flat/neutral - musical - warm - natural - engaging - for bassheads, etc. Different people have different priorities. What styles of music do you listen to the most?

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes, sorry, exactly that. I have seen the Shure SE535, SE425’s but wonder if there’s anything better available for my money.
When I tried them out, I preferred and bought my Campfire Orion over the 425. There's also the new Campfire Comet... not yet tried them out, but reviews put them on par if not better than Orion.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 12
To answer the question, I predominantly listen to pop music or 80’s tunes.
With these styles, it's usually great to have some extra bass impact, or it would sound dull, and somewhat anemic. And some high-end sparkle helps, too, although watch for sibilance. This is compared to, say, classical music, where one appreciates the neutrality. So I guess you want something a bit V-shaped. And you should avoid flat/analytical IEMs. So Shure SE535 is a terrible idea. SE 425 would be a better fit, although there might be still better options in this price range. Oriveti New Primacy sounds like a solid option. Another great option in this price range is RHA T20. Or something from DUNU.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 12
With these styles, it's usually great to have some extra bass impact, or it would sound dull, and somewhat anemic. And some high-end sparkle helps, too, although watch for sibilance. This is compared to, say, classical music, where one appreciates the neutrality. So I guess you want something a bit V-shaped. And you should avoid flat/analytical IEMs. So Shure SE535 is a terrible idea. SE 425 would be a better fit, although there might be still better options in this price range. Oriveti New Primacy sounds like a solid option. Another great option in this price range is RHA T20. Or something from DUNU.

Just to throw my opinion in, the SE425 is more neutral and analytical than the SE535 which is smoother and more lush.

Jun 30, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Thank you for the comments.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the Oriveti New Primacy or the Westone W20.

Are one preferable to the others? Both seem to have Ok reviews?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back