£29 B-Tech tweaked to a Creek OBH-11 for £10
Jan 16, 2003 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/B-tech.htm

I've replaced the caps, resistors and op amp for under £10 and this baby sounds better than a Creek OBH-11 costing almost £100 more. (No, I'm not joking)

I'm not convinced that the OPA2134 sounds better than the NE5532 however. The NE5532 sounded a lot smoother... it's early days but my initial impression of the OPA2134 is that it's a downgrade over the 5532 in this particular circuit.

Does anyone know if an OP AMP needs time to "burn in"? If so, I may be slightly hasty in discounting it considering it's only been soldered in 3 hours ago!

Even with this OP AMP I find the sound comparable to the Creek OBH-11 and can strongly recommend it if you are looking for a good sounding amp at a reasonable price. Throw £8 worth of caps and resistors (I wouldn't bother replacing the 5532 OPA) into the equation and you really do have a giant killer.

Pinkie

Give the page time to load and the tweaked amp is at the bottom of the page.

Jan 16, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 9
excelent idea...

Im sure the expression in your face when you first listened the modded version was something like this ->
eek.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

can you bypass the tone control and the small headphone jack? that may help even more....

m.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
excelent idea...

Im sure the expression in your face when you first listened the modded version was something like this ->
eek.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

can you bypass the tone control and the small headphone jack? that may help even more....

m.
wink.gif

I'm working on it as I type this. As it stands though I can live with the tone conrol and 3.5mm jack as the amp sounds so goooooood!

When I bought the £29 B-Tech I thought
confused.gif
after listening to it I thought
cool.gif
it's got potential. After opening it up I the
evil_smiley.gif
had taken over my soul.

After completing the tweak I feel like
smily_headphones1.gif

Great sound for the pound.

Pinkie

Jan 17, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 9
how easy is it to mod this amp ? Could it be a good start to begin with DIY ? I'll be back in Europe by June and I'll have plenty of free time before september.

Jan 18, 2003 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 9
I think I saw this on the website for Superfi http://www.superfi.co.uk

Can't check at the moment though as their site is down for maintenance.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back