£250/$330 for neutral headphones - what are my best options?
Sep 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zoofiee

New Head-Fier
Hey. I'll lay this out so it's easier to decipher!

Budget - £250/$330
Looking For - Neutral cans to mix guitar (rock & metal), but also to be used for gaming sometimes. But primarily the first thing.
Portability - No need! Home use only
Amp? - I currently am just plugging my current headphones into my Steinberg UR22 MK2 interface. However, if there are headphones you would really recommend that need an amp - I could maybe stretch and buy an amp. Any recommendation is also good as I'm new to this!
Current Headphones - ATH M50x. I've given them to my dad, and he's given some money in exchange to help towards new headphones. I'm after headphones that would be open and make it easy to mix with, and have a more neutral EQ/sound.

Thanks for any input! :)

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 6
HD-600's are know to be very neutral. Only heard them a couple of times and I tend to agree. Have no idea about your interface running them well though. The output impedance is 150 ohms so it would lend itself to high impedance headphones and 6 mW at 40 ohms is not too powerful either. I would get the cans first and then decide if you want a amp.

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 6
HD-600's are know to be very neutral. Only heard them a couple of times and I tend to agree. Have no idea about your interface running them well though. The output impedance is 150 ohms so it would lend itself to high impedance headphones and 6 mW at 40 ohms is not too powerful either. I would get the cans first and then decide if you want a amp.

Cheers dude

Yeah HD600 were amongst the top of my list when reviewing, along with the HD650 and AKG K712s. I was also looking at the HD 598 because I could definitely run them well from my UR22 - but apparently the HD600/650s are a big step up. 
The the only thing that puts me off the 600s is apparently they sound clinical and not 'fun' at all - whatever that means. I'd like headphones I can wear while gaming and still enjoy for that price!

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Cheers dude

Yeah HD600 were amongst the top of my list when reviewing, along with the HD650 and AKG K712s. I was also looking at the HD 598 because I could definitely run them well from my UR22 - but apparently the HD600/650s are a big step up. 

The the only thing that puts me off the 600s is apparently they sound clinical and not 'fun' at all - whatever that means. I'd like headphones I can wear while gaming and still enjoy for that price!
When fun is mentioned it usually means good bass and treble response or what is called a V shaped headphone in its frequency response. When they say clinical it usually means they are very neutral and not colored at all in their sound reproduction. I have not heard the 598's so I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure the rest would need a amp to sound their best. Not for sure if I have heard the 712's but have heard several AKG's and I liked them also . Not sure they will be powered well either.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 6
When fun is mentioned it usually means good bass and treble response or what is called a V shaped headphone in its frequency response. When they say clinical it usually means they are very neutral and not colored at all in their sound reproduction. I have not heard the 598's so I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure the rest would need a amp to sound their best. Not for sure if I have heard the 712's but have heard several AKG's and I liked them also . Not sure they will be powered well either.

Thanks for your help :). The AKGs are also an option, I've heard the 712s are very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back