£2000 budget, Headphone / Amp setup
Jul 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stunted

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First time posting, so hello! I currently have a Little Dot mk2 with HD600's and they have treated me well for a couple of years now but I am not particularly happy with the build quality on the mk2. I have recently come into some money and am looking to upgrade to a setup that's more high end.

I am looking for something with a bigger sound stage, which is comfortable to wear all day. I am using the headphones with my computer primarily for music using Tidal HiFi and just general gaming / movies.

I listen to a variety of music so ideally a good all-rounder headphone would be great. I have been looking at the HD 800 S and the Audeze LCD2 / 3 and the LCD-X.

For an amp I was looking at the WA7 but as I'm from the UK, Woo is bit less accessible for me and I am slightly nervous about spending that kind of money on something I might end up not liking and having to return it to the US.

Any recommendations bearing in mind I am UK based, I am able to potentially stretch my budget an extra £2-300 if it means I'm getting something really solid.

Thanks a lot.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 8
My advice, go to CanJam this weekend and check out the Feliks audio Elise, would work well with all the headphones you have listed, also try out the Focal Elear, Beyerdyanamic T1 2nd Generation, HD800s and all the rest.

The Audeze are quite heavy so bear that in mind if looking for all day comfort (HD800s are light and comfy).

Do you also need a DAC?

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 8
My advice, go to CanJam this weekend and check out the Feliks audio Elise, would work well with all the headphones you have listed, also try out the Focal Elear, Beyerdyanamic T1 2nd Generation, HD800s and all the rest.

The Audeze are quite heavy so bear that in mind if looking for all day comfort (HD800s are light and comfy).

Do you also need a DAC?

Ah good call, I didn't see that event this weekend. I might have to check it out. I did hear the Audeze were heavy, which might rule them out to be honest since I am wearing mine for 12+ hours a day sometimes while working at my computer.

I don't have a DAC currently, would you recommend getting one? I have my Little Dot Mk2 hooked up to my computer through a ground loop isolator since my graphics card creates a tremendous amount of noise on any powered audio I plug into my computer.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 8
I highly recommend going to Canjam, then you can try the gear you are looking to purchase, and you will be able to see how heavy the Audeze are (I personally couldn't wear them all day) but the HD800s I probably could.

Going up the scale I highly recommend getting a DAC, you don't need to spend mega bucks, the JDS Labs EL DAC: http://www.headsound.de/epages/6302...271/Products/JDSELDAC/SubProducts/JDSELDAC-bk

Or something from the iFi range, I am a big fan of the iFi Nano iOne as a very versatile DAC, or the iDAC2 for a regular DAC:
ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-ione/
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idac2/

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Any set-up that costs 2k will be wasted without a decent DAC in the system! Dont sleep on a DAC.....

As mentioned above the T1.2 or the HD800s,along with AKG K812 are good HPs to check out....All three are,to some extent(some more than others) quite bright,which can lead to fatigue and make 'cranking it up and rocking out' problematic.

I would also strongly suggest looking into a STAX set-up for the next step in imaging and sound stage

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Asking what headphone/ amp for £2000 reminds of people who write into Honest John asking advice on which £150, 000 sports car they should buy. An embarrassment of riches?!?

You have a fantastic pair of headphones that won't be bettered significantly despite what you may be told

You're also lucky to be in the UK where lots of great British amps from the like of Musical Fidelity. Graham Slee. Creek, Trilogy. Arcam, Quad etc are available and can often be auditioned. Don't think you'll need to spend that £2000
All imho

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Of course go to CanJam you can hear there everything. WIsh I could have chance like this, live in country where it is every year. But on the other side still not easy to choose something even from meeting.

My advice. Everyone have own taste. If I was you, I would buy Audeze LCDX. It is very versatile headphone (acuracy, dynamic, tonal, atmosphere everything is there), easy drive. So I think if your main goal is universal, this is it. It sounds great even out of the all in one box like my Mytek for example.
Or I also agree with Oscar-HiFi you can also get cheaper DAC like JDS, iFi etc. and you can choose some nice quality amp for it.

And as regards quality DAC, overall audio chain can be very expensive. I think doing compromise on DAC is a good way. iFi for example is definitely not bad.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I spoke to a guy at Schiit who said that the Jotunheim would be a good option for the Sennheiser HD800S, I have been turned off the Audeze due to how many people say they are quite heavy. Of course I will go and try everything tomorrow and see for myself, but any criticism of the Jotunheim with HD800S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back