[£200-220] 2 Speaker Setup w Amp. Recommdations
Feb 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Datastream

Head-Fier
Hi all.

I currently looking to get a good audio setup for my smallish bedroom, ranging from £200-£220. Preferably a two speaker setup and a decent amp to play through my soundcard. I listen to a wide range of Hip-Hop be it Tribe, Slum Village, Wu Tang, Dilla, Nas, MF Doom, from west to Dre, Quik, Kendrick Lamar, Odd Future to south etc.. 

I've been looking at the (Boston Acoustics A25 £100)  (Audioengine A5+ £165)  (Wharfedale Diamond 121 - £150). Not sure if they'll be any good for hip-hop though? I havent decided on an amp as of yet, may just leave the sub for later on (which i'd be willing to save up more for) could someone recommend me a pair and an amp or if the A25s are decent.. I'm hoping to get rid of my old ones and get it all setup in a few weeks. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 7
The Audioengine A5+ already have an amp built in.

£200-£220 can be a pretty limiting budget for passive speakers and a separate amp. You could get an inexpensive t-amp for listening to passive speakers sitting at your computer. It will be plenty loud for that, but don't expect the t-amp and the passive speakers to necessarily fill a room with sound.

Otherwise, you should look to see what you can get on the used market for a stereo or audio/video receiver.

Personally, I think hip hop needs a sub, which would not fit with your budget.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Sorry. I don't know the good values for passive speakers in the UK. Price/performance values vary quite dramatically region to region.

And yes. If the Audioengine amps failed, you would have to return them to Audioengine to have them repaired.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 7
You could do worse than look at Richer Sounds. http://www.richersounds.com/ 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry. I don't know the good values for passive speakers in the UK. Price/performance values vary quite dramatically region to region.

And yes. If the Audioengine amps failed, you would have to return them to Audioengine to have them repaired.

I'm thinking about getting some beyerdynamics to go with them.  Can you recommend any low cost amps that can power more than one input? because if i purchased something like FiiO i'd have to keep switching them right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back