£150~ for bassy headphones with clarity for hip hop/rap/rock
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rano1

New Head-Fier
-Budget is under £150~
-Using it on a laptop with onboard soundcard on a laptop
-Prefer closed headphones, semi is acceptable. (full sized or on ear, no in ear). Will use just a home
-Want really bassy headphones like the current pair that i have, the JVC HAM5X extreme explosive on ear[1] -
-I listen to Mostly Hip hop, rap, rock, dance, (pretty much top 40 stuff) and SOME(very little) swing.

I've researched a lot of headphones and have read from (here, reddit, other reviews) and everyone recommend M50, DT 770s, Ath-Pro700Mk2 etc and all state they're bassy, maybe to audiophiles, but to the bassheads like myself, they're not.

I'm looking for headphones with bass like my current JVC's^ but with better overall clarity.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 14
If you had a bigger budget Denon D2000s are great.

For your price I would say DT770s if you get the 32 ohm version you will be good to go with your on board sound.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 14
Ultrasone HFI-580s are £119 on Amazon UK. They have some nice impactful bass :)

Learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
-Budget is under £150~
-Using it on a laptop with onboard soundcard on a laptop
-Prefer closed headphones, semi is acceptable. (full sized or on ear, no in ear). Will use just a home
-Want really bassy headphones like the current pair that i have, the JVC HAM5X extreme explosive on ear[1] -
-I listen to Mostly Hip hop, rap, rock, dance, (pretty much top 40 stuff) and SOME(very little) swing.

I've researched a lot of headphones and have read from (here, reddit, other reviews) and everyone recommend M50, DT 770s, Ath-Pro700Mk2 etc and all state they're bassy, maybe to audiophiles, but to the bassheads like myself, they're not.

I'm looking for headphones with bass like my current JVC's^ but with better overall clarity.

With your budget you can get a Superlux HD330 - Fiio E07K Andes combo, I listen to the combo as I type this and they are really superb, don't be fooled by the price, these are REALLY good headphones and not just for the price.
Search the forum for reviews and opinions about the HD330.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
If you had a bigger budget Denon D2000s are great.

For your price I would say DT770s if you get the 32 ohm version you will be good to go with your on board sound.

Yeah, the Denon's are way to expensive. The DT770s bass isnt what I'm looking for unfortunately  :frowning2:
Quote:
Hello!

You might as well like to look into the UE6000 xD They are very bassy as well!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

The UE6000 look great! I've read loads of reviews, the sound and comfortability seem perfect for me! Only issue is they're £170 and a lot of people have had problems with sets being defective/a lot of other issues with them. I'm looking for something reliable. Not sure what I'm going to do with these tbh.
Quote:
Ultrasone HFI-580s are £119 on Amazon UK. They have some nice impactful bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread

I looked at the 580s. I plan on using the headphones for hours a day, I've read that these aren't that uncomfortable for long periods. Not sure about these.
Quote:

With your budget you can get a Superlux HD330 - Fiio E07K Andes combo, I listen to the combo as I type this and they are really superb, don't be fooled by the price, these are REALLY good headphones and not just for the price.
Search the forum for reviews and opinions about the HD330.

I've already been suggested these. I'll look into them more now. Very cheap.
Quote:
ATH WS99, Philips Fidelio L1.

Can't seem to find any ATH WS99's used or new here in the UK (for less than £200). Looking into the Phillips L1 now

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 14
I looked at the 580s. I plan on using the headphones for hours a day, I've read that these aren't that uncomfortable for long periods. Not sure about these.

I've only used my HFI-780 (same headphone style) for a couple hours at a time. It did loosen up some through use, but you want them too loose. Impactful bass depends on a good seal. You might ask in that thread I linked to and see what people say about longer use.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
XB1000s then? I've never heard them (I'm not a bass head) but people say they were blown away lol

Way to expensive and not worth it tbh.

Quote:
The amount of defective units i think is more of what he's worried about. 

This is exactly what I'm saying. Almost every review I've read, the reviewer has gotten a second or third pair, with comments saying the same. This has put me off it.

Quote:
Add the M-Audio Q40 to the top of your list.

Users/audiophiles on these forums/all over the internet keep mis-labelling the bass on headphones. The headphones they have like the DT 770s in which the bass is just slightly north of neutral, they then go on and reccomend them to all bassheads stating it'll fufill all their needs, saying their overwhelming or any other sort of extreme exaggeration. I really can't seem to find any decent average casual listener reviews like myself.

I want headphones like bass on the level or below the XB500s(not too much). I don't know much about the technicalities of sound, but I think my current headphones go well below 30 khz~ and sound well(to a basshead, NOT an audiophile) with no distortion.

The logitech UE 6000 are very similar to the DT770s, the bass isn't what I'm looking for and won't hit anywhere near as hard as the XB500s. Unless what I've read is wrong, anyone correct me in saying that the 6000's aren't in the same bass range as the XB500s?

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Q40 has a lot more bass than DT770 and M50. I don't think UE6000 would have more bass than Q40 either. Even the M-100 has slightly less bass than Q40. The only headphones I have heard that are bassier than the Q40, other than the Sony XB series, are the AKG K81dj and K181dj (in large club mode). However the bass boost is more in the midbass than subbass, which makes the sound quite boomy. I personally don't like this but if you like the XB500 you might like it.

Or better yet, buy a good sounding headphone with high quality but not overwhelming bass, then add a Digizoid ZO Personal Subwoofer to increase the bass to skull rattling levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back