£150 (~$300) budget, need help!
Jan 9, 2007 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

XenatR

Head-Fier
Hey all.. ok, so an introduction:

I'm a regular guy who likes his music and games. I play Counter Strike 1.6 (fps game), and listen to music of all kinds (happy hardcore in particular, which as you'd imagine has bass in it), such as classical, salsa, metal (which I listen to through my computer)

My current audio setup consists of a Creative Audigy 4 sound card and Icemat Siberia headset ( http://www.icemat.com/products/icema...iberia_headset )

I am building a new computer at the end of this month (Intel C2D etc), and wish to also upgrade my audio side of things as I am interested in hearing all my beloved music in better quality!

My future audio setup only consists of a sound card at the moment (if you hadn't guessed :p), and that sound card is an Auzentech X-Meridian; apparently the best for music, although for games it isn't so hot as it uses quite a bit more resources of the cpu. That aside, I will gladly give up a few % cpu to get better musical sharpness and clarity. I also gather that the X-Meridian may not be as good in games because it only supports EAX2 (whereas X-Fi cards now have EAX5?)... trivial as I don't use EAX anyway. Also, having a sound card means I will need headpones which are easier to drive (will this limit my options in the higher end?)

Ok, so you know a bit more about me.. now here's my problem.. I need a good quality pair of headphones!

My budget, as I stated, is £150/$300.. but that open to change providing the headphones really are worth it.

Of course I want to keep the headphones for as long as possible, so view them as kind of an investment (which is why I am open to paying more)

One thing I don't really want is an amplifier, as it is a confusing extra in my opinion (having to set volume, bass and treble, or two different sources [PC and Amp], wondering and trying out different combinations (higher volume on PC, lower on Amp) and not knowing which one works and which doesn't (I'm not an audiophile - although I still want a quality headphone so no cheapo alternatives please
tongue.gif
). In any case.. the X-Meridian packs a great punch (I've heard it comes with an on-board amp, and has a high volume output!)

Some headpones I have been looking at are the Beyerdynamic DT770, and Audio Technica ATH-A500 (about half my budget I know, but recieve great reviews - because of value for money? or..)

I know you guys are the people to ask, and I value any help I recieve!

- Julian

edit: I will also add that another thing. I need in the headpones is really good spatial 3D sound, so in the game I play (CS), I will be able to hear an enemy and pinpoint exactly where he is.

I can to some extent do the same with my Siberias, but often I find myself having to turn in-game, to tell where exactly the sound is coming from... which, as you may imagine, is quite annoying! (I didn't have this problem with my old Plantronics Audio 90 headset - the best headset I have ever used btw.. cheap yea (£20), but so good for gaming when properly burnt in etc)

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 9
hopefully you will like them. I have the DT 770 and I adore them but I am getting a pair of ATH A900 to compare so if you want a guinea pig
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Senn HD 595s, Head Room Total Bithead, about 350ish

edit : amps arent really confusing, just turn your comp volume all the way, n plug it in!
The bithead is a really good dac for some1 who doesnt know what they are doing, not much to it.

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hopefully you will like them. I have the DT 770 and I adore them but I am getting a pair of ATH A900 to compare so if you want a guinea pig
wink.gif

when are you getting them? i will order in maybe a weeks time (maybe week and half)

I heard the dt 770s have a great bass, and the a900s dont really.. so im not sure if youll like the transition!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn HD 595s, Head Room Total Bithead, about 350ish

edit : amps arent really confusing, just turn your comp volume all the way, n plug it in!
The bithead is a really good dac for some1 who doesnt know what they are doing, not much to it.

hmm.. sounds simple enough. but what about if i am listening to something from winamp.. do i turn winamp all the way up, and adjust the volume from the amp?

i mean.. it is kinda confusing.. becaue there will be 3 adjustable volumes.. one for the actually soundcard.. one for the audio software.. and one for the amp

frown.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 9
The DT770 do have terrific bass! The rest of the spectrum ain't shabby either. All in all, they're great headphones and certainly appeal not only to bassheads, but also to those who like an involving, immersive and dynamic listening experience. I had a pair for about a week, loved them, but unfortunately had to sell them to fund other purchases. BTW, I'm talking about the old-school DT770/80 Pro, which is pre-2005 whereas the model you're probably considering is the 2005~ model.

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by XenatR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when are you getting them? i will order in maybe a weeks time (maybe week and half)

I heard the dt 770s have a great bass, and the a900s dont really.. so im not sure if youll like the transition!

hmm.. sounds simple enough. but what about if i am listening to something from winamp.. do i turn winamp all the way up, and adjust the volume from the amp?

i mean.. it is kinda confusing.. becaue there will be 3 adjustable volumes.. one for the actually soundcard.. one for the audio software.. and one for the amp

frown.gif

turn all of your comp programs up and your comps volume up, then adjust to the amp, it runs off the comps energy when using it for your comp, then batteries for mp3 player/other protable. also you dont have to worry about having a crappy sound card, it goes straignt to your computer, and thats why it sounds so good!

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 9
i actually have the xmeridians little bro, the xplosion, which i enjoy very much!

its fine for games, even eax games like bf2 have great surround effects.

what everyone here is getting at, is that in a 300$ budget, phones with an amp, combining to be 300 will sound better than spending all that money on phones alone.

amps arent complicated, and you might want to skip that meridian, get the xplosion (which just does less upsampling i believe, and most poeple dont even upsample) spend more bux on an amp and you're golden

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 9
I basically just want a great pair of headphones for first person shooters.

to be able to acurately pinpoint where an enemy is

would an X-Meridian with an A900 (with or without an amp) give me that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back