£120 to spend on Headphones for Uni
Dec 29, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakemoor
can you give me a link to the MS-1's?

I thought i got a really good deal with my 225's for £100 brand new

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

I'd like to know where you were able to get a pair of 225's for £100 though - I was looking around and the best I was able to get was a pair of SR80s for about £95 (inc p&p) which is why I went for the MS1's instead but I'm always on the lookout.

(Can you believe it - only been on this forum about 2-3 months and I've already got a HD555, a PA2V2, ordered a MS1 and already thinking about what's next!! I must be mad!)

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by masper
Incidentally, I will be running these out of my Audigy 2ZS Pro, unamped. Some people might think that it might make more sense to get a worse headphone and then fit an amp in, but I really dont want to start complicating up my set-up. I want to be able to use these headphones in my laptop and iPod whenever as well, so I want just the headphones really.

I use my HD555 straight out of the headphone port on the front of my Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro and (to me) it sounds pretty good - admittedly I have to crank the volume up about 2/3 before it really gets a decent amount of sound out of it but I don't think it particularly sounds any better/clearer/whatever when played via my PA2V2 (but I'm going to do some more testing before making that final decision on that)

[EDIT] - I only mention about the HD555 as I'm assuming that the HD650 will also have a 1/4" plug and a long lead too

I would have to say though that the HD555 have a 1/4" plug on the end and the adaptor means that plugged into my X5 (or the PA2V2) means that it's about 3" of plug going into the port which might put a bit of stress on it - you might want to look for an adaptor that looks a bit like the Grado one to take some of that stress off the headphone port on your iPod. Also you might want to think what your going to do with the rather long cable that'll come from your ears - not a problem when sat at home but it'll be in the way while moving about (IMO)

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 20
Un-amped out of a sound card, with your budget and taste in music, I don't think you can go wrong with the hd595. Unless you love boosted bass and an 'in your face' musical presentation, in which case you might like a Grado. If you decide to get a 595 I'd recommend you get it from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD5...QQcmdZViewItem
BTW the hd-650 is not as good as the 595 IMO, and when un-amped it's awful.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5
i listened to both senn 595 and senn 580 yesterday.

the spacial imaging of the senn 580 absolutely blew away the 595s. To me, there is no contest between the 580 and the 595. If you can, listen to a pair of 580s they are quite amazing (too bad they cost 450cdn, i dont know why us canadians are getting screwed on this, when i can import from the us with duties for about 300-340cdn)

dude, there's no duties on headphones from us to can. You're just paying tax. Should be able to get it for around 200.

Yes, stores charge over 400, but that's cause the MSRP is that high.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
What hi-fi is full of BS.
They give the tryhards 4 out of 5 stars!!!!!

OT: I would look in to the ATH-AD700 if I was you.

I wouldn't go so far as to call What Hi-Fi "full of BS". They're great for entry-level audiophiles like me who prefer to hear comments in layman terms. However, I find their descriptions a tad too vague at times. Nevertheless, it is a very good magazine to buy if you're just beginning your audio quest. Once you move on to greater things, magazines like Stereophile will be much better-suited for your now-audiophile-grade golden ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back