Joining Sennheiser's Style Selection, the beautiful and compactMOMENTUM On-Ear headphones fuse...

Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone

Average User Rating:
4.02381/5,
  • Joining Sennheiser's Style Selection, the beautiful and compactMOMENTUM On-Ear headphones fuse luxurious, elegant aesthetics to high performance sound.Available in a range of distinctive pastel colours, MOMENTUM On-Ear lets you stay in step with this season's fashions while experiencingincredible sound on the move.

Recent User Reviews

1. d1554573r
    "Unexpected surprise for a 90$"
    Pros - soundstage!, overall frequency response, dynamics, price, the entire package! 32 ohm - You can feed them directly from DAC
    Cons - they should be labeled as a open headphone, it's true that they leak a lot.
    I've recentlty bougth them for office. All i wanted was a pair of fairly decent cans within the budget ive prepaired for this occasion.

Unboxing was a surprise, in the package we get a nice pair of switchable cabels, one for "iPod" with a mic and volume control , and the regular straight one.
    Theres a sachel for headphones and ... A case made from eco leather for both headphones and cables. NICE!

Build quality: aluminium alloy, leather, italian proprietary eco leather on the ear pads... They made my AKG K701 look bad in direct comparison. They got THE LOOKS.

Sound quality: first things first, those cans need 30-50 hrs to burn in. Bass was another unexpected thing from those headphones, I've never heared do well controled, thight and intense bass ever! And its not dominating, bass exactly knows his place here. In reviews above You can read that they are bass heavy - thats not true, bass is clear and objective hits just hard enough, but if Your source is bass heavy better get a nice DAC that doesnt colour the lower parts :wink:

Soundstage ... Compared to K701 they create a scene thats closer to the observer but separation is nearly flawless.
    Highs - perfect, period.
    Mids - with neutral and good dac same as above, but if something feeds bass too much mids get muddy.

Price: in europe they can be bought for 85€ (1st revision) atm and I dont know any headphones that can compete in this budget or even doubled.

Summary: if the on ear is the thing You are looking for, with those its hard not to satisfy even demanding headphone enthusiast.
    trellus likes this.
  2. Audioholic123
    "Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones - Impressive!"
    Pros - Full spectrum sound. Analytic yet fun tonality
    Cons - Earpads are an awkward fit at times.
    The Momentum On-Ears are very impressive headphones. They have incredibly accurate tonality like the kind you get with analytical headphones, yet somehow sound fun at the same time. As stated in the Pros bar above - they have full spectrum sound ( no frequencies masked or missing). This means your going to hear the lowest bass notes, the highest tones of the snare drum and every sound inbetween! There is no bleeding of low's to mid's or mid's to high's...it's all seamless.

That brings me to the only negative...the earpads! Everytime i use my Momentum on ears i have to literally move them around until i'm sure they wont slip off my ears...

Don't be put off by that though because they are worth every penny for the sound they give.
  3. InternHeadphone
    "A Fun Listen With Some Un-fun Qualities"
    Pros - Rich, exciting bassy sound. Elegant looks. Removable ear-cups and wire.
    Cons - Very poor isolation. Ear-cups could be slightly more comfortable.
    This review will be split into a number of sections, namely
    -Short Summary
    -On Ears, Yay or Nay?
    -Build Quality
    -Sound Quality
    -Conc

1. Short Summary
    There are a few reasons why I thoroughly enjoy Sennheiser's products. The company is known for having a meticulous attention to detail and for their strong line-up of products such as the HD280/HD380, HD 598 and most recently a couple of wireless models in the Urbanite/Momentum series. They also have very good customer support for claiming warranties and for enquiries. These are a couple of simple reasons why I would pick Sennheiser and their reliable products over a one-hit wonder product. Sure, other products can be cheaper and have great sound but when the precious piece of equipment breaks down, I still want to have peace of mind getting a replacement.

2. On Ears, Yay or Nay?
    The more serious audiophiles may bash the smaller form factor of on-ears. Smaller drivers, poor seal and isolation, diminished sound quality. Those are all valid concerns. But for those reading this and are more casual listeners like myself, audiophile headphones are poor choices due to their lack of portability and impedance. They are also not a very convenient choice, as some full-sized headphones are open back type and are virtually unlistenable in any location that isn't a sealed room in the comfort of your home. I use the Momentum On-ear in the office plugged into a MacBook, at home in bed from a HTC Desire 820 or on the commute to school/work with the same phone. I don't use an amp because it's bulky and requires charging.

I live in a hot country, and can be easily put off by headphones that cause my ears to sweat and make the overall listening experience terrible. On-ears are a good compromise between the full-sized headphone and the IEM. I personally do not enjoy IEM's for anything other than a run or hitting the gym due to the intrusive nature of shoving something inside my ear. And it has been much harder for me to find a good IEM within the same cost bracket of the on-ear. Same price, but the audio quality you pay for IEM's more often than not, cannot match the on-ear. Case in point: The On-ear Momentum goes for around SGD $180 whereas the Shure SE215 goes for around $199 and the Audio Technica IM-02 goes for around $288. It's not an apples to apples comparison per se, but in my own listening I've compared the three products together for their audio quality and I prefer the On-ear overall.

With a small on-ear, the inside of the ear cup doesn't get as toasty as there isn't a full seal around the ears, just a earcup resting on the ear. It can take a bit of getting used to, particularly if you have more sensitive ears. They are slightly more cooling and the sweat that gets soaked into the earcup of the on-ear can be removed and washed, then reattached. Tah-dahhh.

3. Build Quality
    The build quality on the Momentum on-ear is superb. The band is made of stainless steel and can be bent almost into a straight line. It's light and flexible and doesn't loose its shape. The clamping force is also rather tender, I don't feel like I'm wear a pair of vernier calipers which is a plus.

The package contains a nice carrying case and a little carry bag. The plus side of this case is I don't have to re-adjust the headband to the smallest size before putting it in, I just plop it in, wires and all and shove it in my bookbag. I own the V-Moda M80 True Blood headphone and while the case on the V-Moda is slightly more compact and packs a nice carbiner for convenience, I don't like taking off and wrapping the wire up again.

Between the V-Moda M80 and the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear, I would say the build quality is comparable. The similarities between the two are quite stark, the size of the ear-cups is around the same, the clamping force on both headphones is also very tender. They also both come with hard carrying cases and 2 sets of wires each. Both also favor a bassy sound. However, the Momentum on-ear has a slightly better treble.

The Sennheiser can take drops pretty well. In my opinion nothing short of sitting on them with your full weight or physically stomping on the ear cups will damage them. Anything else like drops from your head or throwing them across the room against a wall wouldn't faze the pair.

4. Sound Quality
    For anyone reading this, I will use the V-Moda M80, Sennheiser Urbanite On-ear and ATH-IM02 as benchmarks. Those audio products are the ones I am familiar with. I also own the Creative Aurvana Live 2 but will leave it out as it is a full sized headphone in a different price bracket.

The Sennheiser Momentum On-ear definitely has a very v-shaped, bass focused sound. The bass also happens to be my favourite part about it. For tracks like Tech N9ne's 'Loud', 'Sut Mig', the bass tones have a very addictive, rhythmic sound to them which had me bumping my head to them. The sound is also clear without any audible muddying or distortion. It's a clear sound, not the absolute clearest or airiest, but definitely a very balanced mix with heavy emphasis on bass and sub-bass.

For something like The Click Five, Chris Brown, Tech N9ne, Eminem or even Michael Buble, the Sennheiser sounds superb and fun! It's obviously been tuned for modern music so if your playlist has rich bass like EDM music or electronic type sounds in hip hop or pop, these are a perfect fit. Vocals are good, but occasionally take a step back compared to that deep bass. Treble is definitely present which is a plus. Think of it as a completely balanced sound with the treble turned up slightly and the bass turned up substantially.

Against the Sennheiser Urbanite On-ear, I felt the Urbanite was bland sounding and had a foggier bass. The vocals on the Urbanite were also not as clear. In all, the Urbanite is a slightly amped headphone with supposedly better bass, but it just doesn't translate to a balanced sound or even better bass than the Sennheiser Momentum. The bass is there, there's more of it, but it just doesn't sound rich or sharp. Just fat and bloated.

Against the V-Moda M80, I thoroughly enjoyed both headphones. The Momentum has slightly more sss type sounds due to the strong treble, sounds a little more metallic and lighter than the M80. It is clearer with certain tracks as well, mildly so, I do not think it would affect the buying decision. The true distinction comes in the treble differences. The M80 downplays the vocals and the higher frequencies but its bass is just slightly richer and more "chocolatey" if that makes sense.

One thing to add, between the M80 and Sennheiser Momentum, I feel the M80 is slightly more comfortable for commutes, the leather takes sweat more comfortably.

5. Conclusion
    The Sennheiser is a very nice sound for those who listen to modern music. The little things like the extra wire, the carrying case all sweeten the deal but the main focus of sound and comfort are met well. It's very very close to a perfect headphone, and I prefer the First Gen over the Second. A folding mechanism can get loose over time, and I am okay with the size of the First. Definitely recommend to the more casual audience as it can be easily powered by a phone or PC.
    stalepie and trellus like this.
  4. goodyfresh
    3.5/5,
    "Good sound for the price, good comfort at least for me, but faulty wiring ruined everything"
    Pros - Good sound (soundstage for a closed on-ear is good, nice FR and detail), decent comfort, looks awesome, sturdy build
    Cons - Faulty wiring was a problem with my pair
    I got a pair of these new on Amazon about a month and a half ago.  I thought they sounded great for a pair of closed on-ears, and were pretty decently comfortable to the point that listening to tehm for two hours straight, I had no real issues.  The isolation is also pretty good for closed on-ears, considering the lack of extreme clamping force (which is good for comfort, of course).  Good frequency-response and detail, and they have a nice soundstage for headphoens in their class.

Unfortunately, however, I think the manufacturing quality-control on these may not be up to Sennheiser's usual standards!  You see, after just two hours of normal use from the heaadphone jack on my laptop (was using WASAPI, of course) which certainly is not powerful enough to over-drive them, the right driver completely stopped working!  I suspect it was due to faulty wiring to the right side coming from the left-driver where the input jack is located.  Anyway, this obviously ruined teh headphones for me, and I returned them to Amazon for a refund.  Not wanting a repeat of the same experience, I bought a pair of V-Moda M-80s Crossfades insteaad, which I can honestly say are quite superior to the Momentum on-ears in almost every way except isolation. . .soundstage better, detail a tad better, about equally comfortable for me, better looking in my opinion, slightly nicer frequency-response (slightly flatter, but still nice punchy bass, although the treble on the M-80s might actually be a TAD bit inferior to the the Momentum on-ear), superior build-quality and, clearly better quality-conrol with the manufacturing.  I'm honestly GLAD that my Momentum on-ears turned out to have faulty wiring, because it's as a result of that, that I now have the M-80s instead.  However, the M-80s are, depending on the COLOR of the Momentums (strangely enough the price varies WIDELY between the different color options, weird) a tad bit more expensive, but I'd say totally worth it.  Did I mention the M-80s also come with much higher quality cables?  It's true that the Momentum on-ears come with one extra cable, but both cables seemed quite typically flimsy to me.

In conclusion, these are certainly good sounding and comfortable, and even reasonably well-isolating headphones, for their class and price-point, but there are others available in the same general price-range (such as the V-Moda M-80) which are better, and I'd be quite wary of the wiring quality in these based on the experience I had with the right driver failing.
  5. mark2410
    "Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review by mark2410"
    Pros - Bass, its rotund and articulate. Mids have excellent breadth.
    Cons - Bass wants to come out and play constantly.
    Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ears Quick Review

Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760881/sennheiser-momentum-1-0-on-ears-review-by-mark2410

Brief:  Sennheiser’s style range On Ear.

Price:  Today on the Rainforest sites its £106 or US$100

Specification:  Impedance 18 Ω, Frequency response 16–22,000 Hz, Sound pressure level (SPL) 112 dB (1 kHz/1 Vrms), THD, total harmonic distortion < 0.5% (1 kHz, 100 dB SPL), Contact pressure approx. 3.2 N, Ear coupling Supra-aural, Jack plug Cable 1: 3.5 mm low profile angled plug, Jack plug Cable 2: 3.5 mm straight plug, Cable length Cable 1: 1.4 m iPod®/iPhone® cable with integrated smart remote and microphone, Cable length Cable 2: 1.4 m cable for computers, phones, music players and any device with a headphone output, Transducer principle Dynamic, closed, Weight 160 g (including remote), Load rating 200 mW

Accessories:  A sizable case, a little baggy thing and two sets of cables, one with a mic and phone controls, the other without.

Build Quality:  As you would expect from Sennheiser, excellent.

Isolation:  Meh.  There really isn’t very much.

Comfort/Fit:  Great at first, I did find after a couple hours where my ear was squished onto my glasses got a little sore.

Aesthetics:  Just take a look at them, tre fancy.  They come is various colours too so I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find one to your tastes.

Sound:  Excellent.  I get the impression that Senn has targeting the Momentum range to have a specific sound.  A slight deviation from their normal sound to more closely emulate Sony or B&W.  A rich full bodied warm low end.  Mids comparatively broad and open.  The highs, a little flared spike but on the whole delicate and smooth.  It sounds really very much like the In-Ear version and I’d be willing to bet the On-Ears do too.  I’m half temped to just copy paste what I wrote before, lol.  The bass is big and rich, rotund with a good level of depth but more what I’d think of as rounded.  It does climb up a little towards the mids before dropping into a bit of a valley.  The bass does move quite a bit of air over the ear.  The mids are very broad sounding, so open and naturally airy. Slightly warm but still so much air it just flows beautifully.  The highs are really well refined and mostly delicate. There is a little spike that cuts right through and makes quite an apparent treble flair.  It really bolsters the V shape and makes them rather more detail hurling.  It does well to act as a counter to that huge bass.  It makes them quite instantly and noticeably attention grabbing without being ear savaging.  It’s a really mainstream bit of V shaped drama and a healthy dose of smooth too.  Oh and they sound huge too, very broad and as though they have oodles of power.  Personally I’d like a little more mids though.

Notably though my Nexus 5 the bass and treble somewhat lessened so a beefy source has a quite an effect.  Proportionally more even handed and smooth the more power you threw their way which suited my tastes exceedingly well.

Value:  Price seems a bit in flux but they are a considerably quality product.

Pro’s:   Bass, its rotund and articulate.  Mids have excellent breadth.

Con’s:  Bass wants to come out and play constantly.

6. juiceppe
    "Love them"
    Pros - Good bass
    Cons - With glasses, after a few hours they start to hurt
    Before this I had only cheap 20$ in-ears, so I can't compare them to other headphones. But I'm happy with them. At the beginning the bass seemed so cool that I listened to some hardcore, now I got used to it. Love that they keep the ears warm in winter. After around 3 hours they start to hurt when I wear my glasses.
  7. jh20001
    "Super cool phones. They sound amazing."
    I was in a deep search for some good headphones First I thought, maybe the beats, but then I didn’t want to look like one of the poser kids walking around with headphones on that are more about design than they are function. I started to read some reviews, and the Bose sounded like a good option but I know they are known for being over-priced and not always worth it. Then I saw these and read some reviews. Not only did they claim they sound really nice, but they look exquisite (fancy and not in the trendy kind of way). Reviews (like: http://pocinc.net/blog/product-reviews/review-sennheiser-momentum-on-ear-headphones/ ) painted them as being better than your normal pair of headphones and I needed to see for myself. What does “better than normal” sound like? I have to admit, my ears are liking these! They sound super expensive hah.

Over-the-ears would have been better since you would be more secluded from the world, but the price was a little steep for me to justify them.
  8. Napilopez
    "An incredible value that's better than the original Momentum for some tastes - just let them burn-in"
    Pros - Great soundstage, realistic bass impact and extension with little bloat, build quality, comfort, timbre and texture, great looks
    Cons - Leak more and isolate less compared to the over-ears, don't fold for storage, need substantial burn-in to mellow bass bloat
    At the price these guys are currently going at, I think there are few better values around. I did a lot of research before buying, and going by the impressions many folk have posted, one would think these sound massively different to the original Momentums. This is not the case at all - I owned both at the same time, and unlike most who have posted comparisons, I had the on-ears first. Compared to anything else, you can tell these come from the same family - indeed they should share an essentially identical 40mm driver that's simply tuned differently.

I find the on ear as comfortable as the over-ears, if not more so. The alcantara pads are super soft, and only get softer with use. Clamping force is a little high out of the box, but that's a super easy fix with a little stretching or simple breaking-in. The pads on the over-ears are often too small for users, something you don't have to worry about with the on-ears. I have no issues wearing them for hours on end, and their small size even makes it easy to lie in bed while listening to some music with them. They're also very easy to wear around the neck and the lighter weight makes them less likely to mess up your hair.

Isolation is subpar on these though. I don't generally want too much isolation because I like being somewhat aware of my surroundings, but you can hardly tell there's any difference when you have them on - isolation is very subtle. That said, once you have some music playing, even at low volumes, it's not that bad. A bigger concern for me is that these seem to leak more than your average closed headphone - not ideal for listening at moderate volumes in quiet places.

As for sound - they captivated me right away, but the bass definitely sounded bloated and slow. It's worth noting that I bought mine used. Like new, but still used, so I don't know how much they'd already been burned in. That said, it still took several days of listening to music to get them to sound their best - there was a noticeable difference in the quality of the bass after extended use. I'd assume this is because of a combination of the usual dynamic driver burn in, as well as breaking in the pad and metal band to achieve a proper level of clamping force. Definitely don't allow first impressions to sway you if you don't like them immediately.

Once broken in the bass is quite wonderful. I find low end response on the original momentums to be a bit boring.This is not for a lack of quantity - the VSONIC GR07 Classic has less bass but is more engaging. It just feels a little soft, and slow. Too gentle. This is not the case with the on ear. The bass hits hard and fast, and extends easily into the sub-bass.

The mids came as a huge surprise to me. I expected them to sound distanced and recessed and bloated by the bass, but didn't find this to be true at all. Listening to the over ear and on ear back and forth with the same tracks, there is hardly a difference between the two. The originals are a tiny bit more forward, but that's it. I actually think I prefer the texture on these too - cellos sound better with the on-ears to me.

The highs are the one area the on-ear noticeably lose to the over ear. Overall treble amounts are very, very similar between the two, but the over ear seems to eek out just a little more detail. Cymbals sound more realistic on the over-ears, for instance.

As for soundstage and presentation, the on-ears excel here too. Soundstage width is just as good as on the over-ears, perhaps even a little better. They lack a little depth and height compared to the over ears, but then compensate for this by having clearer positioning and separation. Instruments blend into one another more on the over ears than on-ears, where I feel I'm able to tell where everything is just a little more easily, particularly in congested tracks. This is made all the more impressive by the fact that the on-ears are, well, on-ears. I suspect this has to do a bit with the sound leakage and weak isolation.

The on ears have often been described as only really being good for bass heavy modern music, but I completely disagree. There isn't a single genre of music I've listened to that sounds bad with the on-ears, whereas I find myself a bit bored with EDM and some hip hop tunes on the originals. I get surprising enjoyment out of classical with these. Perhaps that's because I'm partial to making cellos sound good, something I find these do superbly well. But it's also because of their great instrument separation and texture.

On sensitivity and amping, both of these need a little more power than you'd think from 18ohms headphones to get particularly loud. When I'm on the go, I find myself often having to crank both Momentums to max volume - something worsened by the lack of isolation on the smaller model. As for amping, I thought the larger Momentum would take a clear lead when they were powered up, but I found the opposite to be true - the bass becomes tighter and more textured, and the treble improved to a point where it became difficult to tell if the over-ears were actually performing better than the on ears

One final note: both of these sound better when you use the cable without the microphone. I've never been much of a believer in the power of cables... but it was noticeable here. It's not a huge difference, and it's less pronounced on the over-ear, but notes are more defined, with better instrument separation and overall clarity improvements. That said, the microphones themselves sound clear on a call.

I've spent two weeks with both the on-ear and over-ear, and I still can't decide which one I want to keep. Truth is, I'd probably keep the on-ear for sure if it weren't for the fact the over-ears isolate better and leak less. But on sound alone, there isn't a clear victor. What is clear, however, is that the on-ear are the better value, especially now that they can be purchased refurbished for about $100.
    trellus, RoboKaren and Lamsa like this.
  9. ballbarn
    2.0/5,
    "Not worthy of the Momentum or Sennheiser name."
    Pros - Comfortable.
    Cons - Muffled sound, minimal highs and almost no midrange.
    I purchased these online thinking they were the Momentum over-ears that I'd previously demoed. They are not, nor are they comparable in any way. Much lower build quality, and the sound is not even remotely similar. Where the Momentum over-ears are relatively well balanced for closed ear phones and sound clean, these are boomy in the bass and completely unbalanced, leaving just warm mush in the mid. Classical music, while clearly not the intended type of recording for these, sounds absolutely terrible. My years old, maybe 10 years old Sennheiser 280pros sound far better than these, are more isolating, and cheaper. I'll be returning them as soon as possible, they're junk for kids.
  10. lofoscopico
    "Very nice headphones to use outdoors"
    Pros - Detail, bass
    Cons - Nothing, so far
    I read several (a lot of) opinions about these headphones here on head-fi and also in other web forums. To be honest, after that i was pretty unsure about them.
    Nevertheless i ordered them, as they we´re at a very good price (145€). When they arrived, i plugged them to my ipod and the first impression was somewhat dull. After that, i introduced the Fiio E11 on the equation and they came alive, with very good detail and punchy bass.
    Now, with 5 hours of listening, they continue to make me smile when listening to music on the subway, when i go to work.
    I don´t really agree with the criticism about being a bass head unit, i believe the bass is very well controlled and the impression about being a bass head can be caused by low quality files (?)
    I also own a pair of HD650 and a pair of AKG K550, and i believe the mids of MOE are placed in the middle of those, the HD650 are more veiled and the K550 are brighter.
    I think these are pretty good to use in the street and with the adequate source, they become a blast. Very pleased to own a unit.

User Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!