Mangird XENNS UP

500+ Head-Fier
Xenns UP: Clubbing under the sun
Pros: Guilty please - FUN
Takes you back to raving
Bery DD bass
Tunning
Mids presentation
Cons: Dark treble (I love it but some people will miss sparks)
Doesn't come as a resolving pair
Sometimes too much is too much
Needs other pairs to shine, IMO.
Price
Xenns_up_straight.jpg

Disclaimer: The unit used for this review is a loaner set and will be sent back. No incentives were given to say anything else but the truth in my own words. English is not my native language so I apologize upfront for any kind of miswording.
All photo credits belong to
Resolution that took some shots on my request. Thank you for that.

1. Introduction

Xenns (former Mangird) is a relatively new and unknown brand that made some waves during 2020 and 2021 in the 300$ golden bracket of IEMs when they released the Mangird Tea. The Mangird MT4 was released after the Mangird Tea but has not enjoyed the same cult following the Tea has. Some fans of the Tea (including myself) became hyped when news came that Mangird would rebrand themselves into the name Xenns and UP would be their first release. More hype followed when the driver configuration was announced: Xenns UP contains 1 Beryllium Coated 10mm DD for low frequencies, two Sonion 2300 series for mid frequencies, two Sonion customs for high frequencies, Sonion EST65DA01 for ultra-high frequencies.

Xenns UP enters the market with a 700$ MSRP, placing it within one of the most competitive brackets of the hobby currently (tribrids).

More info and shopping on Linsoul page.

2. Box and accessories

* Warranty card.

Xenns-Up07.jpg

Xenns-Up10.jpg

3. Sources and accessories

To get my impressions only flac files were used only. Both Shanling M3X and Luxury & Precision W2 were used, but in the end the final thoughts were used only with the set connected to L&P W2 on 4.4mm balanced using the stock cable and M3X as source only. As for tips, all the review was done using Spinfit CP100 medium size.

4. Sound Signature

graph (14).png

To begin with, let me preface UP’s sound by saying that this is the most specific and hard to describe set I’ve ever heard, but I’ll do my best to do it justice.

Generally speaking, UP is a very warm set, bass boosted and with a dark treble.

Let’s start with the bass region as it is the star of the show. Kicks with authority, rumbles when called, doesn’t bleed much into the mids and has a nice texture to it. One thing I have to note tho is that when listening to more bass anemic bass tracks, you don’t feel the drivers power. Seems like when bass is not emphasized enough, it won’t come out as powerful and more loose.

Mids are slightly recessed due to the bass tuning, but still very present and with a semi-forward presentation very close to its predecessor Tea.

The treble on this set it’s pretty close to the tuning used on Mangird Tea, only slightly elevated to compensate for the overall bass boost this set got - it’s tuned as slightly dark and non fatiding, while keeping some detail. Treble extension is also well done, giving some air and separation between all the warmth. Some people might dislike this type of treble, I personally love it.

With the obvious FR curve out of the way, let’s get into the special source, the warmth. UP sound signature is very hard to explain. It’s like all the replay is covered in a warm blanket. Not veiled, not distorted, just warm. It’s like you’ve added an instagram filter to the song.

Every note seems thicker, hitting heavier. And the even more “strange” thing is that it still kicks above all that warmth, still brings vocals forward and still has some treble spark and detail. I know, crazy. All this warmth comes more prominent when the tracks get busy- on simpler tracks, it’s less pronounced.

It’s one of those cases that a demo will be worth more than a thousand words. Hell, one million words.

5. Technicalities

Soundstage is above average, slightly outside your head. I don’t find it to have much depth or height, but it’s wide enough to go along the tuning.

Imaging is good, even though sometimes it doesn’t feel pinpointed due to all the warmth.

Detail and resolution are also average or above average, but can’t compete with detailed monsters like Mest Mk2 or sub-bass monitors like Variations.

6. Test tracks

1. Lana Del Rey - Carmen/Million Dollar Man

Lana is singing in front of you. She appears as if you were in the middle of the stage and instruments are correctly placed in front of you and on your side. Xenns UP’s warm coloration brings up the note weight to a whole new level - Her voice never goes thin. Low frequencies get very present and take over some of the higher frequencies. There’s still plenty of detail on the song but, due to the tuning, it loses some sparkle - which is still ok for me.

Coloration apart, UP handles female vocals pretty well due to its forward presentation. You’ll lose some detail on Lana’s voice on these tracks due to the tuning and bass emphasys tho. Instruments are warmer but still have presence on upper harmonics.

Clearly UP wasn’t tuning with this kind of library in mind, but for me personally, any set has to pass some vocal tests for me to even consider it, specialized or not.

2. John Legend - All of Me

John is singing in front of you while playing the piano. UP tuning brings John slightly forward, but it’s still close so no big deal here. His voice gets extra weight when it goes into upper notes, it’s slightly thicker than it should. The reason this is one of my test tracks is due to the details on his voice and because at around 2:24 his voice keeps going upper notes while some kind of subtle reverb effect is added. This is where UP falls short - it’s coloration is still adding too much warmth to the upper notes and the reverb effect gets too little attention, to the point of almost no notice at lower volumes.

I think overall UP handles vocals ok (good for the tuning, honestly - it’s not its specialization). It’s better for Male vocals, which was kind of expected. Its warmth blanket leaves out some of the details, specially on the upper regions.

3. Jay Cosmic - The Tunnel (0:58 - 1:15)

Sub-bass quantity and quality are definitely there. This is where UP’s beryllium coated driver starts to show up its claws. Texture is pretty good, not Variations level of texture, but close. Rumble is very present as well. Great replay.

4. RHCP - Throw Away your television

During the first 15 seconds of the intro, Flea's bass guitar passes the test with flying colors. When Chad’s drum kit kicks in, you’re in for a threat. I usually only use this track to test the first 15 seconds, but I got hooked all the way in. One of the best replays I’ve heard of this song, touché - not the cleanest, but one of the most “fun” ones. The electric guitar could use some more energy tho.

5. Laurent Garnier - Crispy Bacon

UP bring Gariner’s classic to a whole festival replay, makes you wanna stand UP and remember all the pre-pandemic raves. I usually prefer my techno tracks more balanced, but this kind of replay is more festival-like - Loads of mid bass kick, slightly less detail and upper frequencies, but FUN as hell. You feel every kick behind the warm tone, but you still get the clicks and clacks, even if less emphasised. Different replay, but a great and fun replay.

6. Cirez D - On/Off

A very balanced techno track that any unbalanced IEM tuning will change the song’s course.

UP colors it with a darker tone, emphasizing the lower frequencies, but still keeping some of the bells and whistles. Same as with Garnier’s, it brings back the festival vibes and replays. Beryllium hits with authority and leaves no prisoners. By 4:30, when the music goes down to start building up again, UP’s warm signature feels nice and cozy, slowly showing its bass texture out. By 5:30 I’m back into a techno party waiting for that sweet sweet drop to start jumping. By 5:45 shills come back and you’re transported into a dark and sweaty disco, feeling the low frequencies around you.

Even if I’m more into balanced presentations, UP sure made press replay and get up. Touché, Xenns, touché. Thanks for the trip.

7. Snarky Puppy - Tio Macaco

Good timbre, good separation and coherency. This track appeals to a set’s soundstage and imaging. Xenns passed the test on all of these with average or above average marks - imaging gets slightly blurred when there’s busy parts and warmth comes in.

To this kind of genre, I can’t recommend this set since it adds a lot of coloration to the replay and falls short on some of the individual instruments' replay/detail, but still does a good job. Turns the track more into a fun jam session and less into a studio record.

8. Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta

As expected, Kendrick’s vocals are slightly forward and the bass kicks with authority. Vocal is thicken, but you still get the melody and all the bells and whistles. Xenns UP brings a great yet warm replay to this genre. Hip-hop heads that like warm signatures might have they end-game right here.

9. Aerosmith - Dream on

UP’s warm signature and forgiveness work really well with older records like this one. Bass guitar is more prominent while high note vocals (3:30) and electric guitars get smoothen out, reducing its natural fatigue. It’s a different but fun and relaxed replay, still containing most of the track’s detail. If you are interested in this type of music I strongly advise you to check out HBB’s review of this set.

10. Slam - Vapour

I was going to talk about this song in this review until UP’s bass blew me off. If you get this set and like techno, try this song. Roar.

7. Comparisons

IMG-1328.jpg

I’ll now compare Xenns UP to another two IEMs in a Tribrid Deathmatch. Every set will be using 4.4mm balanced and stock cable. All of them are running from Luxury & Precision W2 (Low gain, Tune 02, no EQ) with flac files. I listened to a lot of tracks on all the IEMs, but I used the following three to bring the divine judgment on:

* Billie Eilish - Oxytocin
* Agnes Obel - Curse
* Daft Punk - Aerodynamic

1. EJ07m (Spinfit CP145, Tanchjim filters)

graph (11).png

EJ07m has more sub-bass quantity while UP compensates it with more mid-bass elevation and kick. Texture and speed is better on EJ07m. UP’s mid-bass kicks you way harder in the chest, once again, bringing those live stage vibes.

Mids presentation is pretty close on both sets, although the warmth on Xenns UP makes voices thicker/meatier. EJ07m voice presentation is a little bit wider.

Treble presentation is pretty close as well, but due to UP’s warmth, EJ07m comes out as sparkly, while both being in the dark side. Overall air and extension always seem to be on Shuoer’s courtside.

Verdict: Overall, EJ07m has a cleaner presentation over UP, due to it’s more clinical/cool tuning, that some might even find boring - It’s more balanced. UP is the fun friend that turns libraries into parties.

Technically, EJ07m is on a level above Xenns UP - Overall detail/resolution, imaging, staging.

2. Moondrop Variations (Spinfit CP155)

graph (12).png

The mirror enemies finally meet. Cold vs Warm. Sub-bass vs mid-bass. Sparkle vs Bright.

Sub-bass is a no contest in favor of Variations best-in-class texture and presentation. But what about mid-bass? Mid-bass is one of my personal nitpicks with this set. This is where Xenns UP will win since mid-bass on Variations sometimes feels non-existent.

Regarding mids, I prefer Xenns UP presentation, even if they are elevated. The vocals on Variations feel pushed more in the background that I like (YMMV).

Treble rolls the exact same way as sub-bass in favour of Variations. Variations treble is less on my preferences, I usually prefer darker trebles, but credit where it’s due - Variations treble is awesome with some nice implementation of those EST drivers.

Verdict: Variations as a sterile presentation of the sound, while Xenns makes you feel you're at a beach party by comparison. Although Variations’ sub-bass and treble are best in class, I prefer mids presentation from UP. To put it briefly, to my library, Variations is to find detail and stains on records while UP is to enjoy a sound. Both are great at what they do, but they do completely different things - if Xenns put a warm instagram filter on, Variations reduce the saturation and increase detail.

Technically, Variations turn the arena into a bloodbath. With some Monarch pedigree on its ADN, Variations is a tough bone to chew on.

3. Bonus: Mangird Tea (Radius Deep Mount)

graph (13).png

Disclaimer: Mangird Tea will not use stock cable since mine came as a bit funky - as been replaced for a 1:1 silver cable for the matter.

I decided to add a quick observation to answer one of the most requested takes on the internet:

"Is Xenns UP the upgrade to Mangird Tea?"

In short: No, it’s not. Teas are more balanced, slightly warm but bring a more balanced vibe with a sub-bass focus on the lower end, while Xenns focus heavily on warmth and mid-bass. They do share some of the mids and treble presentation, but I wouldn’t consider them alike besides the house branding.

To this day, the closest to a true upgrade from what I love in the Mangird Tea is EJ07m (with tanchjim filters).

8. Conclusions

As mentioned above, Xenns UP is a completely different take on everything I’ve heard. I had to take some time and skim a lot of my library just to get the hang of it. It’s a very hard set to describe. When I heard it for the first time I liked it, but I couldn’t understand why. Guess the first thing I noticed was its kick, its roar.

I don’t think some people will claim Xenns UP has an audiophile tuning since it’s too colored. But so what? It’s FUN. I can’t recommend it as an all rounder for sure, but it’s a good set to pair along with some more detailed and cold sets. It switches the gears, it switches your library for good or worse, and that’s up to yourself to decide. As HBB stated in his review, these are a “Guilty Pleasure” pair, and I agree.

I think it’s a fine recommendation for specific genres like Hip-Hop or Electronic music for people that like ultra-warm signatures. Although, I strongly recommend trying to demo this set before buying. To my ears, it falls under the category of the “hate it or love it” set.

In an era of tier lists and “resolution” seeking, Xenns comes in to shake things up (pun intended) and remember us that not everything is about hearing the best scratch on a vinyl - sometimes it is just about having fun while doing the most important thing - enjoying music.

Xenns-Up09.jpg
nymz
Thanks guys! Apreciate it!
nymz
@Ace Bee Sure, kilo salt.

Land will come with less bass (quantity and quality) and mids won't be as forward. Will also come as more detailed due to the tunning. It will feel ALOT colder and more energetic - with increased fatigue as well. Technically, ball is slightly on Land's court. In my opinion they will fit completly different genres - Xenns will fit eletronic, hip-hop or old school rock better while Land will have better advantage on female vocals, classic, jazz, etc.

Land is more of an all-rounder will the UP will be more of a party guy. Xenns is less fatiguing and more forgiving.
C
Codename john
Cool review . I was going to pull the trigger on the xenns heard them and decided they weren't quite worth the money. Definitely below the Variations & the EJ07M. I really like the EJs. Very underated set. Variations are best in class for the price
Reactions: nymz

HarlanDraka

Previously known as HarlanDraka81
Beryllium Coated DD FUN
Pros: - Powerful, tight but never muddy bass
- FUN
- Excellent timbre
- Smooth with no hints of sibilance or sharp peaks
Cons: - Not as easy to drive as other iems
- Not for analytical, flat of detail oriented sound lovers
- Bass may be too much for some
The Xenns Up are the latest Tribrids released by Mangird equipped with a Beryllium Coated DD for the bass, 4 Sonions BAs for mids and 2 Estat for highs. I will not bother you with a lot of technical details. There are plenty of tech sheets online you can check yourself with a simple Google search. Let’s only say that the Xenns Up follow the new trend of tribrids iems recently released such as Est112, Variations, Oracle etc. etc. with a unique beryllium coated Dynamic Driver for the bass. The Xenns Up are priced 699.99 USD.
This review has not been sponsored in any way by Mangird. The Xenns Up have been purchased with my own money from Head-Fi classified.

I think It’s better to first address the elephant in the room: if you are into analytical, microdetailed signature iems you should stop reading now. Don’t waste your time.

The Xenns Up are not that, they are a fun, euphonic piece of HiFi kit that aim to please with their euphonic timbre and powerful bass without going into microdetail territory.

Are you still reading? Cool, it seems you like fun in your music. So, let’s start.

Equipment used:

DX300 Amp II mk I
Apple Music Lossless
Stock Black silicon tips. Stock cable 2.5.

The first thing that struck me was how beautiful and unique the Xenns Up were. From what I have read on Linsoul, every piece is hand painted. This mean that each piece is unique but they will all have in common the colours black, white and red. I usually prefer more understated designs but I must say that these look extremely good.

669A7924-9A01-418C-85C8-76E0C00DC4FF.jpeg

The shells are neither too big or too small and they have a semi custom design. They are very light and comfortable and I could achieve a good fit straight away with all the tips I tried. I finally settled with the longer stock black silicon tips as to my ears the sound was the most balanced and the bass was tighter. Your mileage may vary, but I noticed that with the other shallow fit stock tips and with the spiral dots tips, the Xenns became warmer, bassier and the soundstage more intimate and narrow.

Isolation is OK but they have two big vents for the Dynamic driver so they will not isolate as well as all BAs iems.

The stock cable is fine and I like that it has a balanced termination out of the box though I would have preferred a 4.4 termination.

However, a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter is included in the box (along with a 3.5 and 6.5(?) ones).
The Xenns Up are not the most sensitive and easy to drive Iems. They scale a lot with more powerful sources. With all my other Iems I have I’m usually staying at low gain on my DX300 but I had to raise to mid gain with the Xenns Up to get a good dynamic range and get a better control of the Beryllium coated DD. However, I think that most daps on the market nowadays will drive them fine out of balanced ports.
The sound profile of the Xenns Up is kinda of a V-Shaped fun, euphonic warmish signature which aim to entertain. “Kind of a V-Shaped” since the mids are not so recessed as a common V-Shaped signature but not positioned in the soundscape as a U, W or flat signature. I will briefly compare them with the iems I currently have, UM Mest MKii and Oriolus Reborn. I will not compare them with my benchmark U12t since the 64 Audio Masterpiece are more than double their price.

Bass

Ahhh that beryllium coated DD.
Bass is the star of the show in the Xenns.
If only Legend X had this DD driver instead of those 2 ever present Weapon IX drivers..why Empire Ears? Why?

Jokes aside, thanks to the beryllium coated DD, the Xenns have one of the best bass I have ever heard in an Iem. It’s powerful, it’s fast, it has all the usual good DD attributed with added benefits, read: it’s tight and never bleeds. Bass quantity in the Xenns is above average and will not only please basshead but also Audiophiles looking for a more planted bass shelf and a fun signature.

The bass is never bloated neither muddy and hits hard.

However, both sub-bass and mid-bass are pretty present in the whole presentation so the Xenns may not suit lovers of super balanced or analytical signatures.

Mids

Mids are rounded and euphonic. I don’t find them neither thin or too full and to my ears they don’t exhibit the usual BAs metallic timbre.

High-Mids are not as forward as Harman-Target tuned iems so the Xenns Up are very forgiving and easy to listen iems.

No sibilance or sharp peaks I could detect anywhere in their signature.

There’s good separation between instruments but not as much air as Mest MKii or Oriolus Reborn to name just two of my favourite iems.

Vocals are placed in the middle of the mix and not as forward as other vocal centric iems. This reminded me of the U12t vocal placement which hits my preferences very closely.

However, if you like the singer to whisper straight out into your ears and massage your brain, these may not be the iems for you. Go for the Mest or even better for the Oriolus Reborn if you mostly like vocals above everything else.

Treble

Smooth, clear but not forward. The treble extend fine but in a pleasant way. U12t and Mest MKii have more extended treble so do other iems such as Moondrop S8. But the Xenns treble is forgiving and inoffensive, perfect for long listening sessions.

Soundstage

Above average in depth/lateral soundstage with excellent imaging. 3d placement of instruments is there but less apparent than Mest MKii or Oriolus Reborn. Vocals are in the centre of the mix. Not forward, not recessed.

Iems like Mest or Solaris (or Oriolus Reborn even if their soundstage is more on the intimate side) still win with their holographic 3d soundstage.
Some songs that really impressed me with the Xenns Up:

Montmartre - Our Time is now

Parov Stelar - All night

BC7E546E-DC9E-4896-AF24-284839E87CE0.jpeg

Conclusions

No, the Xenns Up are not as balanced and detailed as the U12t. Not as clear,airy and holographic as the Mest MKii. And not as intimate and emotional as the Oriolus Reborn.

They surely fall behind in technicalities even when compared to something like the Moondrop S8 but oh man do the Xenns sound good! Very good. So good I like them for the fun and smooth way they present the music. Even if the details in the music are not pushed forward and they are not as apparent as other iems.

And sometimes we just want to relax and enjoy our music, right?
Do I universally recommend them? Well, not universally.

If you are looking for an iem with powerful bass and no sharp peaks to sit and have fun, these may be for you. They are a real joy to listen to.

For more technical, detailed, flatter, sharper, harman target iems with prominent forward high-mids/treble signatures, you should look somewhere else. These may not be for you.
Gustavo1976
Gustavo1976
Thanks.
tboneharry
tboneharry
I have both the MkII and the XENNS. For my library and tastes the Mest is the clear recommendation, albeit at twice the cost. And while I enjoy the XENNS for all the reasons mentioned in this excellent review, I would choose the Thieaudio Monarch as my favorite in the price band.
Pepocoyo
Pepocoyo
Nice review sir. Does Up sound good with Prog metal like Dream Theater, Haken,...? Any better iem in its price range for this genre?

100+ Head-Fier
A review on the Xenns Up
Pros: + Powerful Beryllium DD bass
+ Decent bass and treble extension
+ Good timbral details on bass and trebles
+ Non-fatiguing signature yet engaging
Cons: - High bass volume causing inevitable bass bleed
- Thin clinical mids
- Not as resolving as expected
Mangird Xenns Up ($699)

Introduction

Mangird Tea is an iem that has its own following. It's a budget priced iem with a whopping 7-driver count and balanced signature. We shall see how Mangird Up does this time. This is a 7 driver hybrid consisting of 1 beryllium coated DD, 4 Sonion BAs and 2 Sonion ESTs.

I purchased this with my own money and I have no affiliations with Mangird.

Build
P_20210709_212936.jpg

Forgive my phone camera, but the Up is a nice-looking pair of iems.

- The faceplate is random
- It is hollow inside the iem
- In terms of weight, one of the lightest in my collection
- Fit is excellent

1631533385124.png

More V-shaped than Tea

1631533738908.png

Up's low end towers above Dunu EST 112 some 6 dBs higher. Though compared to Variations and EJ07 the differences are minor.

The good:

The bass makes and breaks this IEM. Its curse and blessing. It has been a month or two and my verdict remains the same. Your experience with this IEM will depend on whether you like this amount of bass shelf.

The bass is slapping hard and fast. The slam hits hard and decays fast. The beryllium driver has quick transients capable of dealing with some complicated lines. The extension is exceptional on both bass and treble side. This makes classical music somewhat of an interesting listen. I am hearing more timbral details from violin albums. The EST implementation certainly isn't bad here with sufficient air and details in the trebles. The presentation is also more lively than some of my other sets. In a grand scheme of things this is still a balanced of iem in terms of bass-to-treble balance.

I find that the Xenns Up benefits from a cable downgrade. One of the few in my collection that does. Reason is that the cable is also one of the few that reduces both bass and treble (probably 1-2 dB). The result is that I managed to reduce the bass bleed to acceptable levels, and the good things about Xenns Up begin to resurface. The bass and treble texture / timbre remains excellent, and it delivers remarkable playback with my DSD 256 violin collection.

The bad:

Despite the top quality bass, the volume is an issue. Not as clean as what I've heard on other bass boosted iems. I prefer bass boost that slopes down faster, at around 250hz. To clear the way for mids. On the Up I feel like my attention is being dragged to the bass, regardless of what is happening in the record. There might be tracks that benefit from this elevated bass shelf, but for my library it is over-emphasizing.

Technical performance is also sub-par, a little better than Dusk but below Dunu SA6. Struggling in this key parameter compared to iems half of its price. There are two tasks to detail retrieval. One is that the IEM is capable of picking up minute details. Second is the ability to present those details in a pleasing manner. The bass is overwhelming the other frequencies in it's iron grip on your attention. This is the textbook example of bass bleed.

---

Conclusion

Long story short. For $699, expectations are much higher. Unfortunately I don't agree with the tuning and its technical performance is veiled behind a layer of bass.

I've enjoyed Mele more in comparison, since that bass shelf is a lot more in line with general tastes. Xenns Up is still a very fun set that I'd recommend for the self-proclaimed bass-heads. Take your faith to the test with this bass cannon.
TimmyVangtan
TimmyVangtan
Great review! Can you possibly compare this to the Clairvoyance or Oracle? Those are my current favorites. Thank you!
etlouis
Well my next purchase might be Thieaudio, since I wanted to get one just to hear their in-house signature.

For now, no, since I don't have those iems.