Baldoor EarBell E100 MK1

Shit, utter shit
    Written by anetode
    Published Sep 22, 2018
    1.0/5,
    Poor value proposition even at their price, little difference from DAP pack-in buds from a decade ago. Awful ergonomics, poor engineering evident when pressure on the baffle presses against the diaphragm. Bad sound: sibilant, the characteristically limited bandwidth of earbuds, annoying even for spoken voice material.

Use the money to buy yourself a burger, much better value proposition in terms of pleasure and long-term satisfaction.
  2. soundstige
    Flat, bouncy, highly detailed, energetic, clear sound for the price of two lattes
    Written by soundstige
    Published Nov 29, 2015
    Pros - Really impeccable detail rendition
    Cons - Mids can be strident; I have smaller ears and fit is not perfect unless I hold them in place
    There's an extremely vibrant, rich sound that they produce. It sounds far better than any other earbud I've ever used, and better (and equally as spacious/open) than most on-ear open headphones I've used before. Unfortunately the fit is difficult for people with smaller outer ears (me) and while they sound great just sitting there, I need to hold them in place with the speaker directed directly at my eardrum for best sound. It's probably going to sound better and better the bigger the size of your cochlea. I can DEFINITELY hear the potential, and for the cost, you'd be stupid not to try them.
    1. yalper
      I also have similar experience with them. need earhoox kind of thing to wear them more comfortable
      yalper, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Chaoturbo
    Great transparent sound for little price
    Written by Chaoturbo
    Published Jun 22, 2015
    Pros - Good SQ, Good Amount of Details
    Cons - Maybe too big for somes
    [​IMG]
  4. baconed
    they sound bad.
    Written by baconed
    Published Jun 8, 2015
    1.0/5,
    Pros - they look cool
    Cons - no bass. artificial mids/highs
    I bought these a few weeks ago because of all of the great reviews.  I am really disapointed.

So I am hardly a earphone audiophile but I look for clean natural sound.  I like everything from talk radio to bluegrass to old rap to rock and country.    My headphone comparisons are my audio-technica ATH-M50, an old pair of sony earbuds, and iphone earbuds.   These sound much worse than all of these.

What I am hearing is this:
       I can not get any level of bass out of these.   I have tried to cram these into my ears normally, sideways, and backwards.  No bass.   The iphone ones are thunderous in comparison.
       Mids.  The mids sound really artificial.   It almost sounds like there is a really bad filter or eq that has been applied to the music.  It gives a slightly electronic and unnatural sound to the music or speech.
       Highs.  decent although it is hard to separate this from mid issue that rolls an overdriven tone into the highs.   not muddy.
       Separation.   Excellant.   I like this in this characteristic in these headphones, every part in a music track sonds very separate.   Probabably I am describing this badly.

The end effect is that these headphones are actually a little bit annoying for even talk radio because of the lack of low end and artificial tone.  Playing music through these is really bad.

I was really surprised that these sounded so bad since I have seen so many good reviews.  When I unpackaged these I quickly gave them to my wife to try since I was so proud of my research.  She quickly gave them back to me saying that they sound horrible.   Listening to them I agree with her.  The stock iphone earbuds (old and new style) both sound much better than these.

I have the eq on my iphone turned off and even with the bass increased in their stock eqs, I get no bass.

___________________________________________________

Update:  1 month later, the left channel has pretty much dropped out.   It is tinny and has probably 25% of the output of the right side...
    2. rymd
      First thought is that you might not be using foams. That's exactly how you'd describe an earbud's sound without foams. And it makes fit irrelevant. Also since the iPhone earpods aren't supposed to be used with foams, you might be used to that.

If you are using foams, then it sounds like a defective product. then sorry, but try to return it if you can.
      rymd, Jun 8, 2015
    3. abanglek
      iphone earbuds bass better, are you kidding? iphone earbud bump the upper bass, no extension to sub bass, boring mid, no sparkle whatever. maybe your problems about e100 are you get the fake copy or since this thing have more impedance, the source is important. much smartphone have weak output so the the driver capability will be limited. as others, i hate the fact this thing is really uncomfortable, but from the sq side, i found your review really misleading, i don't know what is the e100 sound signature, it's not special, but put this on ear for an hours is enough to make my other iem/headphones (soundmagic/audio technica) sound dull after that.
      abanglek, Oct 1, 2015
    4. Toom
      Dug my E100s out again after months of forgetting I had them.  What wonderful sounding things these little beauties are!
      Toom, Feb 29, 2016
  5. Ruwetuin
    For occasional use only
    Written by Ruwetuin
    Published Mar 30, 2015
    Pros - Price, Triangle cord, Generally good.
    Cons - Misses deep bass, too much treble a times
    Just purchased these to see if the review-ratings were any close to reality.

Quite a bit yeah.

I thought it's good to have them with you if you want to occasionally let a friend listen with you via a splitter. But it appears more usefull than just that.

It's a long time ago that I owned these type of earbuds.
    They feel okay, not sticking all up inside your ears like most IE bulb buds.

The triangle shaped cord does a good job preventing entanglement issues.

I initially plugged them in sub-optimally. And after the comment on my initial review I tried them sideways, and the sound got a lot better. It now has more immersion and bass indeed!

The highs are a bit too clear/overwhelming for my taste though.
    The bass could be just slightly deeper too.
    Mids are okay.

Also you dont need a large amplifier for this which can be a plus at certain devices.

And price.... they can be disposable. You might not always want to go out with expensive equipment.
    1. sodesuka
      Try wearing it sideways. It seems funny but it works fine, at least for me and people I know. The bass will be there then.
      sodesuka, Mar 30, 2015
    2. jdg711
      The highs can be reduced by using the small foam covers. Use both for even greater attenuation.
      jdg711, Apr 22, 2015
  6. BloodyPenguin
    This is a wonderful little earbud. Small, yet powerful.
    Written by BloodyPenguin
    Published Sep 30, 2015
    Pros - Mostly Neutral Sound Signature, Different Looks, Small Size, Nice Unique Triangle Cable
    Cons - Fit Can Be an Issue for Some, Bit Bright at Times

Note that the version I received said both Mrice and Baldoor.  This is also the version with the microphone and volume control.

P1040755.jpg

**All Photos Were Taken By Me**

*Features*

- Built in Microphone: Works wonderfully, callers could hear me clearly and without static.
    - Adjustable Volume Control. + for louder / - for softer. A cool and useful function.

P1040762.jpg

*Fit*

These are one of the smallest earbuds on the market. They are shaped like a bell and will fit into any ear canal. Because they are smaller, some might have issues with them not seating well. My advice is to use the provided foam covers for the best fit. The better the seal you get, the better the bass response will be and the overall sound signature.

P1040758.jpg

*Accessories*

These come with two sets of foam covers, one normal and one donut.  Though for me, I prefer a thicker foam cover like the one that Suvov makes:  http://world.taobao.com/item/969229165.htm

P1040759.jpg

*Build*

First thing you will notices is the anti tangle trangle shaped cord. This not only looks cool, but is highly functional. The cable itself is made out a tough, yet flexible material that feels good in the hand. The playback controls have a great, solid click to them and never feel flaky. Design is different, yet works just as well. It is a good looking, well built earbud.

P1040760.jpg

*Sound*

It has a wonderfully neutral sound signature.

Bass- Is not overpowering, instead is controlled and accurate. There is a tiny amount of nice sub-bass, though personally I prefer just a tad more. The nice thing about the E100A is that with either an EQ adjustment or a bass boost click, this little earbuds can throw quite a punch. It is amazing how well they scale up, while still showing no signs of distortion.

Mids - Are fantastic. Crystal Clear. Vocals come through loud and clear without any hint of veiling. I would go as far to say the mids are ever so forward, but that is not to be viewed as a shortcoming, but more of a bonus. The mids is where the party is at and the Mrice E100A plays all the hits. The middle is a great place to be.

Highs - Can be just the tiniest bit sibilant at higher volumes, but never become tiresome. Highs are well defined and detailed. This is where the E100A really shows what high end sound it is capable of.

Soundstage - Don't let the small size fool you. These have a big wide sound. Distance is quite large and allows for great instrument separation without any signs of congestion.

Isolation - Typically, earbuds do not isolate too well do to their open housing. The Mrice E100A different shape allows it to have the best sound blocking of any earbud I have ever tried. This will depend also on how good of a seal you can get. For me, it works great. Nice to wear an earbud that can also isolate me from surrounding noises.

P1040757.jpg

*Overall Thoughts*

The Mrice E100A is one of my favorite earbuds. I love the neutral sound signature, the easy fit and the great playback features. I do wish for just a bit more sub-bass, but as I said, a little can be pushed out with a little EQ tweeking. It is an overall great earbud that is crazy easy to recommend.

*Side Note*

Totally unrelated to the earbud review, but the seller I bought my Mrice E100A from sent me a nice little ZhongGuoJie as well.

P1040765.jpg

earfonia likes this.
    1. earfonia
      Thanks for this review! I bought the Mrice E300 a while ago, and it doesn't sound good. Muffled midrange with some bloated mid bass. Looks like I should have tried the E100 instead :)
      earfonia, Oct 1, 2015
    2. BloodyPenguin
      @earfonia, I've heard the E300 is just flat out awful from various sources.  It is nothing like the E100.
      BloodyPenguin, Oct 2, 2015
    3. earfonia
      Thanks! I should have clicked the E100 :D  Hope to try E100 one day.
      earfonia, Oct 5, 2015
  7. Ixeling
    Nice for the price
    Written by Ixeling
    Published Sep 5, 2014
    Pros - Clear, balanced sound, cheap, good-looking
    Cons - Comfort, fit, remote, isolation (not always a con), Triangle cable, I guess I'm not really an earbud person
    I've been using a pair of A-Jays Four for about a year but recently I bought a Galaxy S5 and the Jays I've got is made for iPhone so I had to buy something new. I found these and decided to give them a try, so here's my review;
    The package was as expected for $20, a plastic bag with two different foam pads to choose from. The sound is very goood and balanced for the price.  After trying them at home, I took a walk while listening, and they kept falling out of my ears, this made me a little worried, but I solved it by putting the cable behind my ears, sacrificing a little comfort, since the patented Triangle cable is not that comfortable. There is basically no isolation, so it's hard to listen in noisy environments, you'll need high volume. The good thing with the "isolation" is that I can talk to people easily while listening to music. The remote on the cable is triangle-shaped, looks good but is pretty hard to use, the buttons are a little "hidden". Keep in mind that the only earbuds I've listened to before these are the Apple earbuds, so I'm not sure if the isolation is unusual for being an earbud. Overall, $20 is a good price for them, and they have a good balanced sound that is easy to listen to. A nice way to try earbuds again, I would recommend them if you like earbuds and pretty neutral sound.  I hope you can understand my english :p
    1. HotSoup
      Thank you for the review!
      HotSoup, Sep 6, 2014
    2. Ixeling
      You're welcome :)
      Ixeling, Sep 6, 2014
  8. subwoof3r
    The new 2014 king of earbud !
    Written by subwoof3r
    Published Aug 18, 2014
    Pros - Both sound and build quality. Can compete with full size cans without any problem.
    Cons - Need to be pointed to ear canal to sound their best.
    PACKAGING :

Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more details in mids/highs. Too bad that Mrice didn’t provided black foaming with it’s black version (or maybe it’s an error), so getting white foaming into black looks a bit strange.

BUILD QUALITY :

Mrice (obsoletely named Baldoor) E100 is the best earbud construction I’ve ever seen so far from these years and blows the competition away, clearly. It has a red triangle cable which looks pretty solid and breath quality. It is soft and have a nice touch feeling. Plug is gold plated and is here also the best I’ve seen so far (also the Y cord plug attachment), looks durable and robust (which is not the case of Dasetn M760) and once again very well finished with it’s glossy black and white marks.

BODY DESIGN :

Mrice deserve an award for this, the form of a bell (from the name itself of the earbuds) is totally unique and the first of its kind. I guess Mrice has the opportunity to make their own products from A to Z, that’s why they don’t need some already known houses like Dasetn did for M760 house, or Yuin with PK1 house which is very known already also, or Blox TMx also, etc.
    I found this form of bell to have some pros and cons. Let’s begin with pros, it stays good on your ears (depends of each persons, I guess mine are small) and after some minutes you don’t even feels them, it’s like you ear sound directly without carrying anything, which is very nice. Unfortunately I won’t recommend this earbud for sports activity, you’ll have to replace them correctly for almost every movements. The cons of this earbell form is that they need to be placed to ear canal directly to provide their best sound (bass are huge if you keep taking them with your hands).

SOUND PART :

The main interesting thing of course!
    I did an almost full week of burning 24/7 with quality pinknoise before concluding the following.
    It is simply the best sounding earbud I never had until now! When I try back my M760 or PK1, they sound like toys to me!

SOUNDSTAGE :

It has the soundstage that I was looking for a while now: not so much (thin) but the right amount (sound almost similar to PK1 but with some more space), unlike M760 which is too much “3D  effect” exaggerating.

- Bass : impressive, the best I’ve listened. They can reach low like never seen, well controlled, powerful, can be emphasizing but definitely not invasive. Depth is very impressive for an earbud, even with my full size cans I never faced such bass quality! And even my PK1 which was the king for me in this domain, is now totally bypassed by E100. I’am wondering if the bell house form not playing in this favor, but maybe I’am wrong. PK1 bass to be compared can’t reach a low like this, and sound like a bad subwoofer in front of me.

- Mids : simply the best mids I’ve listened here also, it will be really appreciated for vocals based music lovers. Vocals can shine like never. Mids are very present, they have the right amount of need. Listening to Amy whinehouse has never been so much a pleasure. Everything looks perfect to me in this domain, it is clear and sharp. At the beginning, right out of the box, I found mids maybe a bit too forwarded but it disappeared slightly with some burning.

- Highs : I repeat here also, but the best I’ve ever listened. I watched some videos also with E100 and when small girls shout out, highs can be so hairy but only at the good moment because its like they shout out for real in front of you (very scaring)! I never faced such sensation in any other ear/headphones until now. Highs are precise, every details can be heard.

MISC :

Overall mids and highs are definitely not fatiguing, which is a very good thing.
    They absolutely don’t requires any amp (32 ohms) but they shines better amped, like PK1, with some more bass boost (due to ear angle problem), but generally speaking, I guess that every earbuds are shining better with an amp anyway.
    I found this pair perfect for every kind of music. From classical to electronic, everythig is perfect.

My personal comparison by performance categories :

- Bass can :

E100 > TG-38s > M760 > PK1 > ES10

- Overall soundstage :
    M760 > E100 > TG-38s > PK1 > ES10

SUM-UP :

I think this Mrice E100 will stay my best pair for a while now. No earbud can compete with this quality (both in term of construction and sound quality).
    Mrice did a great job for only 19$.
    For every earbud lovers, THIS is the pair to have in your collection, and it will clearly be your favorite very soon.

2. pinoyman
      thanks bro for updating me on earbuds :wink:
      ill still get one though, since im very intrigue with the sound on how well you defined them.
      i want to try and experience it the way you did.

anyway, ill also try looking for those two you mentioned.
      cheers!!!
    3. pinoyman
    4. pinoyman
      where can i buy the blox be3?
  9. aaDee
    The true "Budget King"
    Written by aaDee
    Published Aug 18, 2014
    Pros - Fuller Bass, Sweet vocals, clear highs, non-sibilant, non-fatiguing
    Cons - Lack of accessaries( May not be a con for everyone)
    In the ultimate search for budget earbuds I had read hell lot of reviews about so many Chinese manufacturers & DIY products. I was never convinced about so many over-hyped earbuds as they all had mixed reviews. So I decided to go for the one that looks better and had the least number of opinions. I thank god I came across these gems in true sense.
    Searched through Aliexpress.com for the cheapest option available(Also received discount for ordering through Android app). I received them after almost 15-18 days(long wait for an impatient person like me). And what a disappointment...there was channel imbalance, scratches on the body. Left speaker was rattling and had low volume. I reported immediately to the seller with the pictures. And without waiting much he promised me to send new product without sending the original back(shipping charges are more than the product value in India). And after a long long wait(almost 40 days) I finally received them with new packaging, this time rebranded as "Mrice Earbell E100"

Build quality:-
    They look fabulous for an earbud. Clean white, shiny surface gives you an impression of high quality material. The triangular wire is the best thing I found about these. Its super flexible, very very light weight and still you feel its gonna last long. I wish every headphone manufacturer should use similar material for cabling.

Fit & comfort:-
    Fit is good but not perfect. You need to angle them inside to get the perfect sound. And adjusting them is not easy as there is nothing to hold on its body but the nose of the earbell. It took me time to get the better fit. But the major drawback is that there is no clip to it. Also you cannot use any other clip on it because of the triangular shape of the wire.

Lows:-
    Bass is just awesome and of very high quality. It goes deep but never rumbles. It never sounds muddy or bloated. Its present there all over the sound spectrum with right amount. They are not bass heavy but what I hear is never heard in any of my headphones till date. Lows are quite sweet to my ears. They have their own room, its spacious and huge.

Mids:-
    Vocals sound so natural to my ears. E100 are definitely mid centric earbuds. Vocals are clear, thick, airy and still sound so sweet just what you expect from a song.

Highs:-
    Highs are clear as well. They have round edged to them. It literally feels like tickle in your ears. They are soft and sweet. They never sound harsh or sibilant on any track. These are the most non-fatiguing earphones I came across. I just wish that they had more room to them. They sound quite close to your head. They sound a tad tiny compared to lows and mids.Though its not a complaint. E100 may not be the most detailed but they are very very musical earbuds indeed.

Soundstage:-
    The soundstage is good but not very wide. Especially if your ears are tuned for bigger soundstage(like me having RE262) you start comparing obviously. But it would be too much to ask from a $15 earbud. No I'm not under estimating them but being practical.

Conclusion:-
    To conclude E100 are superbly balanced and very natural sounding earbuds out there. Bass is big enough to please any genre of music. Mids sound so real, thick and clear, I can hear the singer's breath at times. Highs are very clear, non-sibilant and never fatiguing. It has to be the most satisfying purchase ever. Its a must have earbud to all the head-fiers. Highly recommended.

2. aaDee
      Fit could be problem for small ears, luckily or unluckily I have big ears :wink:
      aaDee, Aug 18, 2014
    3. aaDee
      aaDee, Aug 18, 2014
    4. sbose
      @aaDee
      where did you get this from?
      sbose, Jun 8, 2015
  10. BenF
    Excellent earbud with a balanced sound
    Written by BenF
    Published Jun 27, 2014
    Pros - Build quality is great, sound quality exceeds >100$ earbuds.
    Cons - None
    This review is about E100 MK1, currently not available anymore.
    All E100 and E100A sold after mid-2015 are MK2 and MK3 - however they are not marked as such.

This earbud caught my eye because I thought it was the most beautiful earbud ever.
    I bought it purely for its looks, didn't have high expectation for the sound.

Build Quality:
    When I received it, it looked more plastick-y than in the pictures, but still very beautiful.
    It also came with 3 pairs of doughnut foams - a rarity these days.
    The build quality is great, cable and plug are very good.
    Cable is totally non-microphonic, best cable I ever seen.

Fit:
    They look quite large, but I didn't experience any fit issues.
    Due to their shape, they can't be pointed directly into the ear canal, but even angling them a little makes a lot of difference.

Sound Quality:
    I listened to it out of the box - and was pleasantly surprised. It was clear this would be a top contender. I've burned them for a couple of days, and enjoyed them for the last few weeks.

Baldoor did a great job tuning these - very balanced and clear. They sound practically identical to TG-JL1.
    At first, I thought it was another incarnation of TG-JL1, but it seems to have a single diaphragm.
    I would say that these are 95% of TG-JL1. Not sure if I could tell them apart in a blind A/B session.
    Compared to Yuin PK1, the EarBell has a bit more bass, lusher mids and less bright (although well extended) highs.

Price/availability:
    The price on Amazon and eBay for US head-fiers is 15-16$ shipped, non-US members can buy on Aliexpress at 18.99$ shipped.

There is also the version with a microphone at 25.6$ shipped, but I don't know if it sounds as good. Introduction of additional circuitry often decreases SQ.

Conclusion:
    At 15-20$ (depending on your location) this is an excellent balanced earbud - a very rare occasion. Most earbuds in this group sound veiled and boring - but not E100.
    The discussion/impressions thread is here:

My current earbud ratings are
    TG-38S = TG-JL1 > E100 > BE5 > PK1 > M760 > M1 >= ANV3SE > PK2 = ANV3 > M2C > M3 > ES10 > AP8
    Or in terms everyone can understand
    16$ = 31$ > 19$ > 95$ > 160$ > 26$ > 15$ >= 100$ > 80$ = 70$ > 50$ > 13$ > 6$ > 12$
      aaDee likes this.
    2. aaDee
      soundstage is very narrow, isnt it BenF?
      aaDee, Jul 31, 2014
    3. HotSoup
      I have a pair of $60 Sony MDR-EX310, would it be worth buying these or is the pair I have better? From the high praise I am very interested in hearing these, but I'm on a very tight budget(plenty of other gear I am looking at).
      HotSoup, Aug 23, 2014
    4. blackbelt730
      The Amazon link appears to be broken and there are multiple sellers with these under different names. Which one should I get? Please give an Amazon link and a description of how to get these to actually fit in your ear.
      blackbelt730, Apr 20, 2016