Zero Audio Carbo Mezzo DX220-CM / Zero Bass ZB-03
Jan 13, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #31 of 63
Purchased the all-white zero bass. I loved the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can you give comparisons to what you own?

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #32 of 63
Purchased the all-white zero bass. I loved the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, did you buy the ZB-01, ZB-02, or ZB-03?  Do you know what the differences are?

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 63
Got the ZB-03 not so good in describing sound but i like the thump of the bass and how clear the voices are. The symbals and guitar strums sound good and sweet on rock songs while hiphop songs sound really lively. :)

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #35 of 63
Any of you have problems with driver flex with the mezzo? Is it their design problem or I have a bad unit? Driver flex problem straight from the box.

Mine also got driver flex from the beginning, your is not a bad unit.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #38 of 63
Can't seem to find anything on it - are these open IEMs? (in other words how is the isolation?) Thanks!

There are grills on the back (someone else posted pics in this thread). Sound does leak out but I don't think it's loud enough to bother anyone. Just got these last week and I can't stop listening to them. FYI, my other iems include Sony xba-h2\a2 and n3 (newest),Sony 7550, LZ-A4, Hifiman re-00 and re-400, Carbo Tenore, JH Audio Roxanne. I got the Duoza on order and I can't wait to hear those.

Jun 8, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #40 of 63
There are grills on the back (someone else posted pics in this thread). Sound does leak out but I don't think it's loud enough to bother anyone. Just got these last week and I can't stop listening to them. FYI, my other iems include Sony xba-h2\a2 and n3 (newest),Sony 7550, LZ-A4, Hifiman re-00 and re-400, Carbo Tenore, JH Audio Roxanne. I got the Duoza on order and I can't wait to hear those.
Did the DuoZA come in? Comparison/Thoughts?

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #41 of 63
Did the DuoZA come in? Comparison/Thoughts?

The DuoZA came in about 3 weeks after receiving and listening to the Mezzo. Let me start off by saying that ever since then the DuoZA has been one of my main daily drivers (the other one being Sony xba-N3). Once in awhile I'll let the Mezzo have some playtime when I want a more discreet look and don't want to bring the more expensive Sony N3 (currently most favorite iem) along my daily work commute.

FIT/COMFORT/AESTHETICS
Fit wise, I prefer using the DuoZA with a shallow insertion and the Mezzo with a deep one with SpinFits on both. Both are very comfortable but the DuoZA with the shallow insertion and being very light, I literally forget that I'm wearing them. However the DuoZA sticks out and makes me looks like Frankenstein like the 2 metal protrusions out the neck. I think the Mezzo are a tad heavier but the deeper insertion constantly reminds me it's there. The tiny size and deep insertion of the Mezzo just disappears within my ears.

CABLING
DuoZA has thin cables and I think they're the exact same ones as the Carbo Tenore. Mezzo uses a flat cable and no doubt is much more stronger. The DuoZA cables are very tangled prone while the Mezzo are not.

SOUND
Comparison done listening to Haitus Kaiyote - Nakamarra

To my ears the Mezzo has a very pronounced V shape with an open airy and 3D sound. Mids are recessed while the highs are smooth and the bass hits low with more rumble than the DuoZA. To me, the lows on the Mezzo takes the spotlight. I have no idea how ZA gets that kind of bass from such a tiny driver. The DuoZA has a closed and more natural and balanced fuller sound with a little emphasis on bass but not as much as Mezzo. I think Mezzo has a little rolloff in the upper high frequencies as the DuoZA has much sweeter highs and I can hear more details in that region. The snare and high hat on the DuoZA just sounds much more better. Human voices on the Mezzo sounds like it's further back compared to DuoZA which sounds more forward.

(scale: 1-5 stars *)

Mezzo

lows: ****
mids: *
highs: **
soundstage: ***

DuoZA

lows: ***
mids: ***
highs: ***
soundstage: **

FINAL WORDS
The bass and 3d sound of the Mezzo is very addictive to me. However I simply prefer the much more fuller and detailed sound of the DuoZA and it still has enough bass to satisfy my basshead cravings. Also comfort is very important to me and so that's why I prefer the DuoZA over the Mezzo as a daily driver. I also found that the DuoZA is able to take EQing much better than the Mezzo.

Hope that helps.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #42 of 63
FINAL WORDS
The bass and 3d sound of the Mezzo is very addictive to me. However I simply prefer the much more fuller and detailed sound of the DuoZA and it still has enough bass to satisfy my basshead cravings. Also comfort is very important to me and so that's why I prefer the DuoZA over the Mezzo as a daily driver. I also found that the DuoZA is able to take EQing much better than the Mezzo.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for that great comparison. It looks like you also have experience with the Tenore. Can you compare the detail, separation, and realism of the DouZA to Tenore? I find the Tenore amazing for its price, but while the bass is accurate tonally, it's recessed for sure. I am wondering if the DuoZA is the Goldilocks for my tastes.

Edit: Sorry if this is a thread hijack. Hopefully since its in the ZA family, its all good. Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #44 of 63
I'm the original thread starter of the Tenores, which sadly died after I washed them a year or so ago. Really miss the sound. :frowning2:

Mezzo seem to have a unanimous positive review, planning to pick a pair up soon! Although I am a bit worried about the driver flex people have been mentioning, I never had that with the Tenores (maybe I had a golden reference pair, who knows lol).

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #45 of 63
I'm the original thread starter of the Tenores, which sadly died after I washed them a year or so ago. Really miss the sound. :frowning2:

Mezzo seem to have a unanimous positive review, planning to pick a pair up soon! Although I am a bit worried about the driver flex people have been mentioning, I never had that with the Tenores (maybe I had a golden reference pair, who knows lol).

Did you ever get the Mezzo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back