Wolf Ear Audio Makoyi and Natayo
Dec 14, 2016 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bigfatpaulie

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone,

I just came across Wolf Ear Audio.  They are Canadian amp/head-amp maker and I'm personally very curious about them (being Canadian and all!).  They look pretty nice and they have an OTL and transformer based headamp.

This is their statement amp, the Makoyi, the TC amp:

From the site:

Power Output: 4.5 Watts RMS into 32 Ohms
Output: Strictly single ended w/ balanced XLR plug for convenience
Frequency Response: 20Hz-100kHz, +/-1dB
Input Impedance: 50K Ohms
Volume Control: Alps Blue Velvet Potentiometer (attenuator upgrade optional)
Input Voltage: 1V sufficient for most headphones
Driver Tube: NOS 6N8S included
Output Tube: NOS 6P3S included
Rectification: Hyper-fast FRED rectifiers
Topology: Single tube gain stage, single transformer coupled tube output stage. Constant current designs used throughout for maximum linearity and tube consistency over the course of the tubes' lifespan
Power Usage: approx. 80 Watts
Voltage: 117V or 230V
Size: 320mm(W) x 300mm(L) x 80mm(H)
Weight: approx. 12kg

And the Natayo, their OTL amp:

Power Output: 2 Watts RMS @ 32 Ohms and 3 Watts RMS (minimum) @ 80-600 Ohms.
Output: Single Ended w/ XLR for convenience
Gain: approx. 3.8 (+11.5dB)
Frequency Response: greater than 20Hz-20kHz, +/-0.5dB
Input Impedance: 10K Ohms
Output Impedance: 24 Ohms
Volume Control: Series-type 24-step attenuator
Driver Tube: NOS 6N8S included
Output Tube: NOS 6P15P-EV included
Power Supply: Hyper-fast FRED rectification, choke input and choke filtered. All capacitors are high quality film caps.
Power Usage: approx. 80 Watts
Voltage: 117V or 230V
Size: 320mm(W) x 300mm(L) x 80mm(H)
Weight: approx. 9kg
Included with Amplifier: (1) NOS 6N8S, (2) NOS 6P15P-EV, (1) standard power cable

Has anyone here had any experience with them at all?  I really like the looks!

-Paul

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 10
I've heard the M-a-k-o-y-i (sorry, auto-correct won't let me type the name) and chatted with the owner of Wolf Ear for a bit at a recent Head-Fi meet in Calgary. It's a pretty nice amp. I like that it's a little bit tubey but not overly so. I wouldn't say it has a super precise presentation but rather provides a nice and laid back experience.

The owner of Wolf Ear is pretty cool and down to earth. I'd trust him with my money.

Tom

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 10
  I've heard the M-a-k-o-y-i (sorry, auto-correct won't let me type the name) and chatted with the owner of Wolf Ear for a bit at a recent Head-Fi meet in Calgary. It's a pretty nice amp. I like that it's a little bit tubey but not overly so. I wouldn't say it has a super precise presentation but rather provides a nice and laid back experience.

The owner of Wolf Ear is pretty cool and down to earth. I'd trust him with my money.

Tom

Thanks for the endorsement :)
I know it is a very new product and my business is very new as well, so if anyone has any questions, etc, I'll be happy to answer to the best of my abilities
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrew

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Yep! I'm in the midst of writing up a review for it. Hopefully I'll get it up this week...

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back