Windows 10 Finally Getting Native USB 2 Audio Support
Dec 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #61 of 111

Have you been able to get it to work on your machine?

I am not in the Insider Ring, so I'm still waiting for the official release, and have therefore not tried the Microsoft driver yet.

The only player I know of that supports native DSD playback is Jriver(?), but if you want to get native DSD playback working at all on Foobar2000 I recommend doing these steps:

1. Update to the latest version of Foobar2000 which is v1.3.14 beta 1. This build includes several fixes and a new feature for native playback of WavPack 5 DSD files.
2. Follow this guide: http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000#2fOxkRDLY2GhsubK.97 (Make sure you download the latest version of both the ASIO component and the SACD component for best results)

But as you have said, it most likely won't work as the new built-in Windows USB Audio 2 driver doesn't support ASIO, but you tested WASAPI exclusive mode and it seems to work for the most part so it may be worth it to test out DSD afterall. I would go for it!

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

This guide is outdated. You no longer need to have the separate ASIO proxy, nor do you need to use ASIO at all. WASAPI works great and is native to Windows 10. You do need to have the WASAPI output component for foobar of course.

Does native usb2 support have the same effect when using Kernel Streaming?

Because my setup is stable I'm hesitant to uninstall drivers, it's been awhile since I have last updated and wasn't planning to. However if sound quality will increase drastically I might just do that...

Seagate Backup ext. HDD -> USB 3 -> mini PC Windows 10 pro -> (USB 2) -> M2Tech HiFace Evo (mk1) -> (AES/Ebu) -> M1DAC -> ... ->

When uninstalling M2Tech driver and updating FB2K, will I have to re-install plug-ins and settings as well after re-installing Windows driver for M2Tech?

Kernel Streaming is something used on older Windows versions, but WASAPI exclusive mode is the same thing on Windows 10. I never could get kernel streaming to work properly, and would suggest using WASAPI if possible, because that's the new Windows 10 way of doing things.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #62 of 111
I compared wasapi and wdm ks using the windows driver via lms/squeezelite/portaudio and wasapi had a noticeably sharper sound, ks being warmer and mellower. There's some word about the windows usb 2.0 driver  using wavert, but not sure about that. My ks player that uses wavecyclic won't play via the usb 2.0 driver, so possibly it is wavert which will bring potential latency/audio benefits over wavecyclic. ks/wdm gets much closer to the kernel/driver than wasapi, with ks/wdm you are instructing the driver directly and wavert is supposed to minimise client interaction so will be as good as you can get with windows.

wdm/ks is not something only used on older windows versions, it is very much still live and kicking, wasapi is just a layer on top, think ms would prefer people to use wasapi, but ks sounds better, not something ms is really interested in.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #63 of 111
With iTunes running on Windows 10, I have a choice of Audio Direct or Windows Audio Session through iTunes player. Seems to me I get better results with Windows Audio Session, meaning no interference to music.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #65 of 111
I was hoping the USB Audio 2 driver would work on my Micca Origen+, but unfortunately I get a code 10 error when I install them manually. Guess I'm stuck with the massively outdated VIA drivers for now.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #66 of 111
Yes, indeed, hallelujah!  Thanks for asking.  

After much online research I found that the problem with random audio dropout is actually quite common, seems to have existed long before Windows 10 and certainly is not related to the Chord Mojo (maybe it provoked the issue, but did not cause it).  Now on to the good news, below is a copy of the message I sent to Chord shortly after Christmas:

Dear Matt and  Edd,

After suffering these issues pretty much all of December with increasing frequency and severity, my PC experienced some kind of “healing catharsis” last weekend.  After much Googling I may have found a solution and it is very simple  -- just run the Windows Clean Boot procedure (msconfig) which is really easy to do, takes less than 5 minutes. 

While I may not be ready to blow the All Clear signal just yet, after repeating this process 3 times on Christmas Eve my computer remains symptom free four days later.  So it seems the problems did not start with Windows 10 and also were not related to the Mojo. 

Now who says there's no Santa Claus?  Bah-humbug, indeed!

TG

P.S.  In case you want to share this info with others suffering needlessly, I am attaching a link to the Msft inx: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #67 of 111
My Lumia 950XL runs flawlessly with the Modi 2 Expert mode and GOV2. However the Chord Hugo doesn't seems to work. Seems like it was "accepted" as an output since there's no sound coming from phone speaker anymore, but oddly enough the Hugo didn't output any sound either. There's 2 port on the Hugo , the right one receive a "Not working" notification while the left one have the above behaviour.

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #68 of 111
Chord Mojo are not fully compatible with Windows 10 USB audio class 2. That because chord USB asynchronous feedback endpoint bInterval value is 6, that is not acceptable by Windows USB host controller.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #69 of 111
Anyone else having audio issues after the latest windows update? My Sound Blaster ASIO drivers stopped working and reinstalling them does nothing :/ The option to complete bypass all enhancements seemed to have disappeared from the sound panel too... This is very annoying right now 
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #70 of 111
When I run won 10 Pro with WASAPI and exclusive mode enabled( in the advanced tab of the playback->properties control) , I have a problem with remote desktop. Just as I quit remote desktop, foobar freezes. Is anyone else using remote desktop in win 10 pro and WASAPI   without trouble?

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #71 of 111
  Chord Mojo are not fully compatible with Windows 10 USB audio class 2. That because chord USB asynchronous feedback endpoint bInterval value is 6, that is not acceptable by Windows USB host controller.

OK, fine, but what does it mean?  Personally, I am on the latest Win10 Insiders Preview (Build 15025) and it allows me to continue using the Chord supplied drivers -- does that not work for you?

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #72 of 111
I can install Chord supplied driver (not Windows 10 internal usb audio class 2 driver), and it work fine. If I force to setup Windows internal usb audio class 2 driver, I cannot play high resolution music like dsd128 smoothly, but I can play 44.1k music smoothly.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #73 of 111
I can install Chord supplied driver (not Windows 10 internal usb audio class 2 driver), and it work fine. If I force to setup Windows internal usb audio class 2 driver, I cannot play high resolution music like dsd128 smoothly, but I can play 44.1k music smoothly.

Well, using the Win10 driver you're restricted to WASAPI, right?  With Chord's driver you have a choice between ASIO, KS, and WASAPI -- I use ASIO because it seems to handle everything, except quad-DSD.  That's not a Mojo limitation.  My player software is J River Media Center 20 and since this is not a problem with Foobar, there must be some hidden setting in JRMC that I am unaware of.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #74 of 111
Well, using the Win10 driver you're restricted to WASAPI, right?  With Chord's driver you have a choice between ASIO, KS, and WASAPI -- I use ASIO because it seems to handle everything, except quad-DSD.  That's not a Mojo limitation.  My player software is J River Media Center 20 and since this is not a problem with Foobar, there must be some hidden setting in JRMC that I am unaware of.

Yes, use Chord supplied driver, it work fine for all format music.

I am confused how can chord driver get the usb asynchronous feedback in Windows environment? Maybe it does not use the Windows usb host control driver?

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #75 of 111

Yes, use Chord supplied driver, it work fine for all format music.

I am confused how can chord driver get the usb asynchronous feedback in Windows environment? Maybe it does not use the Windows usb host control driver?

Well, to quote some Irish guy:  Maybe Windows in general, is a jack of all trades and a master o'n none.  When and if I go to 10, I'm going to just stick to manufacturer drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back