Windows 10 Finally Getting Native USB 2 Audio Support
Sep 1, 2016 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

InsanityOne

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-support-for-usb-audio-20/0d633b9f-3193-4c63-8654-fb10b3614a04?page=19&msgId=a3e33175-ae15-46ca-b547-5ef19dbf4d2b

Hello everyone, As you have found out, we have an initial version of a USB Audio 2 driver in the latest Windows Insider release! This is an initial version with only limited features enabled (playback only, no recording support as of now). I encourage everyone to test the driver with your USB Audio 2 devices and file bugs via the feedback app.

Your feedback is important to us and we share your frustration at how long it has taken us to get here. Please keep the feedback coming!

The driver is available in all versions of Windows 10 - including mobile.

- Bala Sivakumar
Program Manager, Audio at Microsoft

For those of us that still haven't jumped ship to AOIP this is very exciting news! Nearly 10 years after USB Audio 2 was released, Microsoft has finally included a native driver for it on the latest insider preview build (14915) of Windows 10. I wonder when this will get released to the stable branch?

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 111
I am updating to 14195 currently. I hope it works with my Audio-gd DI-U8/DAC-19 natively...

Sep 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 111
  I am updating to 14195 currently. I hope it works with my Audio-gd DI-U8/DAC-19 natively...

You are? That is awesome! I was hoping we would get some testers in this thread. I am sure you already know this but make sure you go into Device Manager / Control Panel and completely remove all traces of your USB 2 drivers (write down / backup any settings first) then unplug any USB 2 audio devices and restart the machine. Once the machine is has re-booted (and is on the 14195 build) then plug in your USB 2 audio devices and see if it automatically detects them and if they work or not.

I will be very excited to hear your results!

- InsanityOne
k701smile.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 111
  Hello Everyone,

SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-support-for-usb-audio-20/0d633b9f-3193-4c63-8654-fb10b3614a04?page=19&msgId=a3e33175-ae15-46ca-b547-5ef19dbf4d2b

For those of us that still haven't jumped ship to AOIP this is very exciting news! Nearly 10 years after USB Audio 2 was released, Microsoft has finally included a native driver for it on the latest insider preview build (14915) of Windows 10. I wonder when this will get released to the stable branch?

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

So I have finished the Windows 10 update, uninstalled the USB drivers of Audio-gd XMOS and Cypherlabs Theorem 720, then restarted Windows and turned on my DAC.

Immediately the Device Setup dialogue popped up and disappeared. On the Playback Devices, a new device named Speakers USB Audio 2.0 appeared - a good sign. 
biggrin.gif

I then opened foobar2000, in the Device Output box I realised that I still have a couple of USB drivers installed, VIA (Audio-gd) and Chord (for my Mojo).
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, I then selected DS: Speakers (USB Audio 2.0) and voila IT WORKED! Gotta play more later but I can confirm it works on foobar. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 111
I can also confirm that my Gumby auto connected (no 3rd party driver needed) to the VM I have set up for build 14915... updating my Lumia 950XL and will report back with findings later.

UPDATE - Mojo connected to 950XL, but received error that device may not be connected. Tried to play music and it did not passthrough to Mojo even though had a red light indicating 44.1 connected.

Tried Hugo, no connection on High Quality Side. but connection on Low Quality Side. Revering back to latest Rlease build to check if Hugo LQ works in that configuration

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 111

So I have finished the Windows 10 update, uninstalled the USB drivers of Audio-gd XMOS and Cypherlabs Theorem 720, then restarted Windows and turned on my DAC.

Immediately the Device Setup dialogue popped up and disappeared. On the Playback Devices, a new device named Speakers USB Audio 2.0 appeared - a good sign. 
biggrin.gif

I then opened foobar2000, in the Device Output box I realised that I still have a couple of USB drivers installed, VIA (Audio-gd) and Chord (for my Mojo).
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, I then selected DS: Speakers (USB Audio 2.0) and voila IT WORKED! Gotta play more later but I can confirm it works on foobar. 
beerchug.gif

I can also confirm that my Gumby auto connected (no 3rd party driver needed) to the VM I have set up for build 14915... updating my Lumia 950XL and will report back with findings later.

UPDATE - Mojo connected to 950XL, but received error that device may not be connected. Tried to play music and it did not passthrough to Mojo even though had a red light indicating 44.1 connected.

Tried Hugo, no connection on High Quality Side. but connection on Low Quality Side. Revering back to latest Rlease build to check if Hugo LQ works in that configuration

This is awesome news guys! Thanks for testing this out! I wonder why the Chord products are not working as intended though? Do they have some other proprietary hardware at play that requires a special driver?

- InsanityOne 
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 111

This is awesome news guys! Thanks for testing this out! I wonder why the Chord products are not working as intended though? Do they have some other proprietary hardware at play that requires a special driver?

- InsanityOne 
confused_face(1).gif

So I have uninstalled the Chord USB driver and restarted. The power LED of the Mojo lights up but the system do not recognise Mojo as USB Audio device. In the Device Manager, it shows as Other Device with triangle with an exclamation point. Weird.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 111

- InsanityOne 
confused_face(1).gif

So I have uninstalled the Chord USB driver and restarted. The power LED of the Mojo lights up but the system do not recognise Mojo as USB Audio device. In the Device Manager, it shows as Other Device with triangle with an exclamation point. Weird.

Hmm, this is very odd indeed. Maybe it is like I said and Chord products are not just solely USB 2 and use some other things as well that require a driver? The only reason that doesn't add up for me though is that Android / Iphone devices support Chord devices from USB 2 output without any drivers at all.

- InsanityOne 
redface.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 111
I've tried Cypherlabs Theorem 720. I can confirm that this also works without additional driver installed. So far, only the Mojo did not work natively. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 111
  I've tried Cypherlabs Theorem 720. I can confirm that this also works without additional driver installed. So far, only the Mojo did not work natively. 

This works with Wyrd to Gumby.  WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit preview build 14915.  Good job Microsoft, only took you FOREVER.

I agree, it did take them quite some time (now how long will we have to wait for USB Audio 3 to get implemented another 10 years? 
tongue.gif
) but I am glad to hear that it is working properly for more devices than not. My only remaining question is when will this get released to the stable branch of Windows 10? Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for "RedStone 2" to be released to the public.

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 111

Hmm, this is very odd indeed. Maybe it is like I said and Chord products are not just solely USB 2 and use some other things as well that require a driver? The only reason that doesn't add up for me though is that Android / Iphone devices support Chord devices from USB 2 output without any drivers at all.

- InsanityOne 
redface.gif

​my guess is that it relies on an ASIO for the DSD support, which would also explain why Hugo works in Low Quality and not in High Quality

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #15 of 111
Also have a Lumia 950XL here, though I don't have a USB audio Class 2 to test it out, currently using Odac. But at least now Windows mobile user can have a much wider selection of DAC :) Chord case does look weird though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back