What computer speakers to get?
Jan 15, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #211 of 515
I think OP should try Kef EGG system. Excellent speakers and could add a subwoofer later on.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1186361&gclid=CNyKh6HGxdECFY-NswodDFkHYA&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&Q=&A=details

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #213 of 515
btw...massdrop has the jbl 305 on sale at US$99 each plus 15 shipping.
4 days remaining
but not for us canucks....blah!
mad.gif

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jbl-lsr305

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #214 of 515
  btw...massdrop has the jbl 305 on sale at 99 each plus 15 shipping.
4 days remaining

Hissing is a no-no if you want to hear the blackest background your equipment has to offer. Just go for real monitors like the Focals, Genelecs, Adams and KEFs. I really don't consider Yamahas as a studio monitor since HS is meant as Home Studio not a pro studio lol, and Yamaha HS7 does sound like a hi-fi speaker than a studio monitor to my ears anyway.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #215 of 515

. I really don't consider Yamahas as a studio monitor since HS is meant as Home Studio not a pro studio lol,

Curiously I cannot find any reference to this on the Yamaha pro audio website. I have worked with the HS7 monitors quite a bit, and they have a flatter response curve than other monitors in their price bracket. I'm prepared to say I have issues with average consumers buying into "PRO" gear, for instance: if I handed you my Leica S2 with a Leica APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 CS would you have any idea how to get the most out of such a camera and lens? probably not. If you handed me a P&S camera I'd be able to get images you wouldn't.

Pro gear in the hands of an amateur is frequently wasteful, there is a great commitment of time and resources involved with working with professional gear. Unless you have your own recording studio using studio monitors just for music playback from a PC is only using them to half their full potential.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #216 of 515

btw...massdrop has the jbl 305 on sale at 99 each plus 15 shipping.
4 days remaining

Hissing is a no-no if you want to hear the blackest background your equipment has to offer. Just go for real monitors like the Focals, Genelecs, Adams and KEFs. I really don't consider Yamahas as a studio monitor since HS is meant as Home Studio not a pro studio lol, and Yamaha HS7 does sound like a hi-fi speaker than a studio monitor to my ears anyway.

What do you consider the Emotiva Airmotivs?

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #217 of 515
think i'll stick to the focal alpha 50s.
i tweeted steven guttenberg of CNET
as he's reviewed the jbl 305, airmotivas, adam f5
and focal....asked him for his op...his reply:
''focal''

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #218 of 515
  think i'll stick to the focal alpha 50s.
i twittered steven guttenberg of CNET
as he's reviewed the jbl 305, airmotivas, adam f5
and focal....asked him for his op...his reply:
focal alpha 50

Cool.  I see that one has tone control.

I also see that for the price range I was looking for in September, ~ $500 a pair, this is in the $600 range.

Did he have any warnings or concerns about the other ones? 

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #221 of 515

i'm referring to the Airmotiv 6, the smaller speakers will have different qualities: the Airmotivs 6 have a good sound, a little forward but good vertical imaging, horizontal imaging is a bit limited. They need toe in, even for near field as the sweet spot for listening is smaller than other speakers. Which is a shame as Mids and Bass are generally excellent.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #222 of 515

i'm referring to the Airmotiv 6, the smaller speakers will have different qualities: the Airmotivs 6 have a good sound, a little forward but good vertical imaging, horizontal imaging is a bit limited. They need toe in, even for near field as the sweet spot for listening is smaller than other speakers. Which is a shame as Mids and Bass are generally excellent.

What do vertical and horizontal imaging mean?

A few posts ago, I showed what my setup was when I was comparing both the JBL LSR 308 and the Airmotiv 6s.  After I returned the JBLs, I felt I had a harder time hearing the right speaker.  I had to fiddle with its position the next several weeks before being more satisfied again.

This may be what you're referring to with horizontal imaging.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #223 of 515
  Curiously I cannot find any reference to this on the Yamaha pro audio website. I have worked with the HS7 monitors quite a bit, and they have a flatter response curve than other monitors in their price bracket. I'm prepared to say I have issues with average consumers buying into "PRO" gear, for instance: if I handed you my Leica S2 with a Leica APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 CS would you have any idea how to get the most out of such a camera and lens? probably not. If you handed me a P&S camera I'd be able to get images you wouldn't.

Pro gear in the hands of an amateur is frequently wasteful, there is a great commitment of time and resources involved with working with professional gear. Unless you have your own recording studio using studio monitors just for music playback from a PC is only using them to half their full potential.

IMO, as long as Pro gear sounds great, it's worth every penny. Being able to mix a little more accurate than other speakers/headphones is just a bonus.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #224 of 515

The ribbon tweeter isn't as omnidirectional as waveform guide tweeters in the horizontal realm.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #225 of 515
anyone on here using the sonore micro rendu?

darko, in his review of the new kef ls50 wls powered speakers
mentioned it as a good component in one's chain.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/kef-ls50-wireless-review-dars-product-of-the-year-2016/

wondering how it would work from my setup:
laptop to DAC to focal alpha speakers.

interesting review on the micro rendu here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRi9utNBl4&ab_channel=TheHansBeekhuyzenChannel

talks about using it with his hugo...8 min mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back