What are the best headphones i can get for under 50 euros (italy)
Jul 23, 2017 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Coguarjacked

New Head-Fier
This is my first post, so apologies if i get something wrong...

Alright, so i'm on a really tight budget (about 40-50 euros max), and i've been meaning to replace my terrible, probably chinese knockoff speakers with an acceptable set of headphones.

Now, i understand that for 40-50 euros i'm not going to get anything amazing, but i wanted to know what the best set i can get for that price is.

Some information:

- This is more of a home set. if it's portable and works well with my smartphone (lenovo p2) bonus points, but it's not essential or all that important.

- I'm sadly not using a DAC or a headphone amp. I can't afford either. I'm using the integrated audio of a fairly dated motherboard (ASROCK N68-GS3 UCC), so i understand the audio wouldn't be as good as it would be if i had a DAC or a better motherboard/sound card, but like i said, i can settle for "ok" quality, and frankly considering what i'm used to, practically anything would be an upgrade.

-Nothing in-ear, or earbuds. I'd use my headphones for an extended period of time, and in-ear would probably cause ear wax buildup due to that. Every other type is fine i think, just nothing that i have to put in my ear.

-Most of the music i listen to is 320 MP3s and FLAC music. I doubt the difference between flac and high quality mp3 would be big on a cheap pair, but i thought i'd mention it. The main genres i listen to are symphonic metal, other types of metal, and rock. I occasionally listen to other genres too.

-Comfort over a long period of time is probably going to be fairly important.

-I also play alot of games, but i don't typically play competitive games such as CS:GO (where being able to hear footsteps well would be pretty important), so as long as the quality of the sound ingame is immersive enough, i'm ok with it.

-I watch alot of youtube videos, tv shows, animated shows, and some movies, but i typically watch those on my smartphone with the phone speaker (which is actually pretty good, surprisingly), so that's not a priority either.

-I do however listen to alot of podcasts, including alot of horror podcasts, so having good sound on that would help alot.

-I tend to listen at moderate volumes, due to the fact i have mild chronic tinnitus that is exacerbated by loud sounds (and also i don't want to damage my hearing). I raise the volume slightly for music but it's usually kept to moderate volumes.

-Noise isolation wouldn't be an utmost priority since my environment isn't usually all that loud. Not that noise isolating headphones would be a bad thing, but i can do without it.

I've been eyeing the JVC HA-RX700. From the information i've found on it, it seems like it'd be a good pair for me, but i can't really try it out so i don't know. I'll probably get these if i find no bettter alternative, or get no answers here though. Can anyone vouch to their quality?

Anyway, i hope that's enough information. If I got anything wrong let me know.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 23
If you are open to an open or semi-open headphone, you should look at a Superlux HD681 Evo. Great bass. If you want closed, in your price range, I would look at an ATH-M20x. Both sound good, they are just different.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 23
If you are open to an open or semi-open headphone, you should look at a Superlux HD681 Evo. Great bass. If you want closed, in your price range, I would look at an ATH-M20x. Both sound good, they are just different.
Does the bass on the HD681 drown out the mids? because most of the music i listen to tends to be more heavy on the mid side.

Oh and also i'm fine with both open or closed, i think.

EDIT: Will the ATHM-M20X require an amp to work properly with my old motherboard's audio? what about my smartphone?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 23
€30 for the Edifier H850 on Amazon prime (Italy)
I paid £29 for them in the UK two weeks ago and am very impressed. Their are reviews here on headfi and good long reviews on amazon uk

Only one 3 star review on the italian amazon site but as i could not read it Imhave no idea why 3 stars

I have some expensive headphones and am amazed by how nice these are. Check some reviews.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 23
€30 for the Edifier H850 on Amazon prime (Italy)
I paid £29 for them in the UK two weeks ago and am very impressed. Their are reviews here on headfi and good long reviews on amazon uk

Only one 3 star review on the italian amazon site but as i could not read it Imhave no idea why 3 stars

I have some expensive headphones and am amazed by how nice these are. Check some reviews.

read a bit about it, it seems like the sound signature is kind of... way too bassy. Apparently the mids are pretty bad on them. That's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 23
read a bit about it, it seems like the sound signature is kind of... way too bassy. Apparently the mids are pretty bad on them. That's kind of a deal breaker for me.

That would be a deal breaker for me too. I found the mids to be very nice but I do have a nice DAP. Also i burned mine in for a few days. Now you have made me want to listen with them tonight...

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 23
Does the bass on the HD681 drown out the mids? because most of the music i listen to tends to be more heavy on the mid side.

Oh and also i'm fine with both open or closed, i think.

EDIT: Will the ATHM-M20X require an amp to work properly with my old motherboard's audio? what about my smartphone?
The M20x will work just fine from your motherboard and your phone. No amp required. The Evo bass does not step on the mids appreciably--it does a very admirable job in that regard. It is not bloated, IMO.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 23
Will the m20x sound good for the music i listen to (mostly symphonic metal, metal, and rock) without the need for an equalizer though? i'm fine with using one, but i'd generally preefer not to. Anyway i might go for that pair unless i get a better option.

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 23
Will the m20x sound good for the music i listen to (mostly symphonic metal, metal, and rock) without the need for an equalizer though? i'm fine with using one, but i'd generally preefer not to. Anyway i might go for that pair unless i get a better option.
I can only say what my experience has been and I listen to mostly metal and rock. I don't EQ anything on my M20x, personally. It sounds pretty good to me straight out of the headphones. FWIW. YMMV, of course. ---)

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 23
I can only say what my experience has been and I listen to mostly metal and rock. I don't EQ anything on my M20x, personally. It sounds pretty good to me straight out of the headphones. FWIW. YMMV, of course. ---)
hmmm i've read more about the the hd681 EVO tho and i'm considering those now... uuugh undecided!!! keep more options coming if you can think of any.

The "costumizability" of the pair seems like a nice bonus. plus according to amazon it comes with a three year warranty.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 23
hmmm i've read more about the the hd681 EVO tho and i'm considering those now... uuugh undecided!!! keep more options coming if you can think of any.

The "costumizability" of the pair seems like a nice bonus. plus according to amazon it comes with a three year warranty.
I really like my HD681 Evo a lot for my music interests.

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 23
Behringer HPX6000 although classed as a DJ headphone does very well with metal and rock around 55-60 euros, also very easy to drive

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 23
So do the hd681 EVO sound good with metal to you? As far as i'm aware it's more of a warm sound which probably wouldn't lend itself that well to metal... but i don't know.
That's just me. I like the low end and the treble is extended adequately to make the ride and crash cymbals have impact. The crunch of guitars with EMGs or massively distorted humbuckers is there for me. But that is just my experience and YMMV, of course. Perhaps the M20x would be a better option for you??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back