Westone UM PRO Series Thread
Jul 1, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,326 of 3,037
went to the chemist and picked up some moldable waterproof earplugs for 5 bucks cut out some core tubes rom some tips that i am not using and moulded the plugs around them ,, I have improved isolation by 25% and comfort

Can you post the pictures?

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #2,328 of 3,037
Had Hank from Westone in the office showing us the range, the new UM Pro series are great (sound the same as the old, cosmetic differences which make them more comfortable and slimmer), and we will be selling them in the UK :D

IMG_20170718_122922.jpg

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,331 of 3,037
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #2,332 of 3,037
Just received my pair of um pro 30. I know there's a new version coming, but I like the look of the current model.

I want them because I really love the sound signature of my um pro 10: very smooth and intimate mids, crisp bass not bleeding into mids, and non-fatiguing treble but still enough make the electric guitar shine. But on um pro 30 I found the bass meaty, and the treble further recessed, and the overall sound is significantly warmer and less transparent than um pro 10.

So is this the case that different models from um pro series could have such differences in sound characters? Or is my um pro 30 brand new and needs some burn-in?

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #2,333 of 3,037
Just received my pair of um pro 30. I know there's a new version coming, but I like the look of the current model.

I want them because I really love the sound signature of my um pro 10: very smooth and intimate mids, crisp bass not bleeding into mids, and non-fatiguing treble but still enough make the electric guitar shine. But on um pro 30 I found the bass meaty, and the treble further recessed, and the overall sound is significantly warmer and less transparent than um pro 10.

So is this the case that different models from um pro series could have such differences in sound characters? Or is my um pro 30 brand new and needs some burn-in?

This is the case, I listened to them all the other day and the UM Pro30 is definitely too dark for my tastes. The UM Pro20 is a little less dark, but if you can afford it go to the 50, it has the most air up top out of the range, but still retains warm bass.

Otherwise the W series is better balanced and the W60 might suit your tastes.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,334 of 3,037

Try to play with eartips. Which one are you using? Try to go down one size to relax the seal. It will balance the sound more, less bass that will open some room for mids/treble.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,335 of 3,037
This is the case, I listened to them all the other day and the UM Pro30 is definitely too dark for my tastes. The UM Pro20 is a little less dark, but if you can afford it go to the 50, it has the most air up top out of the range, but still retains warm bass.

Otherwise the W series is better balanced and the W60 might suit your tastes.
Thanks for sharing your impressions of um pro series. I really felt the 30 too warm and dark for me in the beginning, but after a few day's listen and getting used to the sound signature ( I never had any dark headphones), I started to love the warm sound especially how vocals and piano sound so natural and full of emotion. Listening to "true love waits".. Thom Yorke never sounded so vulnerable..

But what you said about the 50 is very tempting..

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,336 of 3,037
Try to play with eartips. Which one are you using? Try to go down one size to relax the seal. It will balance the sound more, less bass that will open some room for mids/treble.
I was using comply foams, because they sound great with the 10, but I guess they're too bassy for the 30?

Just ordered a set of small size spinfit tips, hope they elevate the treble just a little bit..

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #2,337 of 3,037
I was using comply foams, because they sound great with the 10, but I guess they're too bassy for the 30?

Just ordered a set of small size spinfit tips, hope they elevate the treble just a little bit..
Try using the star tips that came with the UM 30. They are a night and day difference from the Comply Foams.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #2,338 of 3,037

Why not silicone star tips that come with Westone? At least to my ears, foam tips always lift the lows and kill energy of highs. I guess try spinfits, they should be similar to westone silicone star tips, and you will notice a sound change :wink:

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,339 of 3,037
Try using the star tips that came with the UM 30. They are a night and day difference from the Comply Foams.

hahaha! we replied the same in parallel :wink:

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,340 of 3,037
well they really are good, I switch between those and spinfits. Find the star tips don't seal as well with the 30 pro as they do with the UM1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back