Westone UM PRO Series Thread
May 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,296 of 3,037
Westone UM1 is officially released and now available on their website:

https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/universal-serieshtml/um-1

um1-fb.jpg

Per Westone comments on FB:

UMPro 10 vs UM1: The driver in the UM1 is tuned differently than the UM Pro10, to deliver a warmer sound signature. Besides the epic cable, the UM1 also comes with a zippered monitor pouch, rather than the mini monitor vault that comes with all of our other universal-fit monitors.

May 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #2,297 of 3,037
Hi, I have purchased my first IEM, the UM pro 20 but the cable is too short for me (I would use them to play drum). I just see everywhere the Westone cable but it's too short also (52 inch), and very expensive (is it normal ?)

Do you know if there are other options that would fit these UM pro 20 ? I would have something near 2 meters to be able to use them in different situations, but I don't know anything to IEM's cables and which fit with this brand.

Also, I have a jack adapter that seems to don't fit well the mini jack of the UM pro 20 (there is a bit of "move" between the 2, and it makes problem to the sound). Could youadvice me an adaptor that you know is ok ?

May 19, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #2,298 of 3,037
Hi, I have purchased my first IEM, the UM pro 20 but the cable is too short for me (I would use them to play drum). I just see everywhere the Westone cable but it's too short also (52 inch), and very expensive (is it normal ?)

Do you know if there are other options that would fit these UM pro 20 ? I would have something near 2 meters to be able to use them in different situations, but I don't know anything to IEM's cables and which fit with this brand.

Also, I have a jack adapter that seems to don't fit well the mini jack of the UM pro 20 (there is a bit of "move" between the 2, and it makes problem to the sound). Could youadvice me an adaptor that you know is ok ?

It's a standard 'universal' cable length to be either 48" or 52", with 1.2m being more common. I'm afraid you might have to go with a custom cable. Custom cables, depending on the material used, can run you anywhere from $100 to $1000. But you really don't need anything fancy, a regular OFC wire should work. What you have to be sure is that it has universal mmcx connector. This will guarantee that it will fit your UM Pro 20.

The cheapest alternative will be an extension cable, maybe try another one which could have a tighter connector socket.

May 19, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,300 of 3,037
Thanks for the answer :)

I didn't know about this standard universal cable length for IEM.

I believe 1.2m is based on the average listener with iems in his/her ears and audio player in a pocket. For studio use, many full size headphones use 3m cable as standard to give you the room to move around in your chair while connected to desktop equipment, or in some case they use spring-coiled cable.

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2,303 of 3,037
I recently had the opportunity to have swapped a pair of um pro 30's for w40's courtesy of he kind Westone rep we have here on the forums.

I went with the um pros because of comments here and other reviews where folks seem to prefer the warm sound with great midrange and intimate sound staging. I ignored the Westone description of hem being stage monitors because I thought that meant "monitors" as in Rokkit RPG6's. I could not have been more wrong. I understand now that stage monitor is meant for a musician on stage that needs to hear themselves better.

The W40 has a larger soundstage I there's a lot more space between the nstrumente. The trebles not cut off at the top either. Overall, I'm much happier with the W40's.

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #2,304 of 3,037
[QUOTE = «Jodiuh, сообщение: 13530160, член: 3378»] Я недавно имел возможность обменяли пару гм про 30-вежливости W40 о он рода Westone повторении мы имеем здесь на форумах.

Я пошел с профессионалами гм из-за комментарии здесь и других отзывов, где люди, кажется, предпочитают теплый звук с большим СЧА и интимной звуковой сценой. Я игнорировал описание Westone из подола варанов стадии, потому что я думал, что имел в виде «мониторы», как и в Rokkit RPG6 лет. Я не мог быть более неправильным. Теперь я понимаю, что монитор этап предназначен для музыканта на сцене, что нужно, чтобы услышать себя лучше.

W40 имеет большую звуковую сцену, я там намного больше пространства между nstrumente. В тройных не отрезан сверху либо. В целом, я гораздо счастливее с W40 в. [/ QUOTE]
It is good for you than umpro30?

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #2,305 of 3,037
[QUOTE = «Jodiuh, сообщение: 13530160, член: 3378»] Я недавно имел возможность обменяли пару гм про 30-вежливости W40 о он рода Westone повторении мы имеем здесь на форумах.

Я пошел с профессионалами гм из-за комментарии здесь и других отзывов, где люди, кажется, предпочитают теплый звук с большим СЧА и интимной звуковой сценой. Я игнорировал описание Westone из подола варанов стадии, потому что я думал, что имел в виде «мониторы», как и в Rokkit RPG6 лет. Я не мог быть более неправильным. Теперь я понимаю, что монитор этап предназначен для музыканта на сцене, что нужно, чтобы услышать себя лучше.

W40 имеет большую звуковую сцену, я там намного больше пространства между nstrumente. В тройных не отрезан сверху либо. В целом, я гораздо счастливее с W40 в. [/ QUOTE]
It is good for you than umpro30?

What is a point of you using Russian translator and quoting it in your reply, when you can't read or understand the translation? I put it in bold red for you where it says in Russian that "i'm much happier with W40" :wink:

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #2,306 of 3,037
I recently had the opportunity to have swapped a pair of um pro 30's for w40's courtesy of he kind Westone rep we have here on the forums.

I went with the um pros because of comments here and other reviews where folks seem to prefer the warm sound with great midrange and intimate sound staging. I ignored the Westone description of hem being stage monitors because I thought that meant "monitors" as in Rokkit RPG6's. I could not have been more wrong. I understand now that stage monitor is meant for a musician on stage that needs to hear themselves better.

The W40 has a larger soundstage I there's a lot more space between the nstrumente. The trebles not cut off at the top either. Overall, I'm much happier with the W40's.

Exactly, that is a big difference between UMPro being a performance series vs W being an audiophile/listener series. Stage performing musicians need to focus when monitoring the music, and wide soundstage creates a distraction because the imaging and the positioning of sounds is recreated from a perspective of a listener standing in front of the stage. UMPro soundstage is narrower which helps the musician on the stage to monitor the performance better. UMPro50 is a bit of an exception since staging is wider, but W-series still has a larger soundstage.

Jun 8, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,308 of 3,037
I doubt the tonality / dexterity of the 40 comes close to the umpro50

I prefer UMPro50 over W40, but it's all a matter of a personal taste :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back