Westone UM PRO Series Thread
May 8, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,281 of 3,037
ab396bd92f5ef4f58da85cf88f5b8273_name-gadgetjpg-views-31-ill-get-you-next-time-gadget-meme_425-318.jpeg

...Headfi be like

May 8, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2,282 of 3,037
Hello all,
I recently sold my UMPro50 (oh, how I miss thee) and purchased the W60. Not sure if this is an upgrade but digress, what I was wondering is if anyone knows the difference between the cables supplied with these 2 IEMs. I really liked the UMPro braided cable. The EPIC cable I received has a useless volume control (I just want a clean cable) and the cable feel is OK. Anyway, what's the difference between the cables and is one better than the other?

May 8, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,283 of 3,037
Hello all,
I recently sold my UMPro50 (oh, how I miss thee) and purchased the W60. Not sure if this is an upgrade but digress, what I was wondering is if anyone knows the difference between the cables supplied with these 2 IEMs. I really liked the UMPro braided cable. The EPIC cable I received has a useless volume control (I just want a clean cable) and the cable feel is OK. Anyway, what's the difference between the cables and is one better than the other?

Where did you buy your W60 from? W60 comes with two cables, audio only braided Epic cable and another cable with in-line remote, the one you mentioned about:

7472622.jpg

There shouldn't be too much sonic difference between the cables, they both use ofc wires, but Epic audio cable is just nicer in my opinion, more pliable since it has thinner shielding. But regardless, that's why Westone includes two of these cables.

Better contact their support to request Epic audio cable. Or, if you got it used from someone else who didn't include the Epic cable, explain to them and provide serial number (either from the packaging box or printed on the nozzle of IEMs).

May 9, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #2,284 of 3,037
I'm a big fan of the um series memory wire, normally the first thing i do with a new cable is shed it of about 2/3rds the way down, i find them completly unnessisary annoying and daggy looking the um series memory "wire" should be standard everwhere.

May 9, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,285 of 3,037
I'm a big fan of the um series memory wire, normally the first thing i do with a new cable is shed it of about 2/3rds the way down, i find them completly unnessisary annoying and daggy looking the um series memory "wire" should be standard everwhere.

Yeah, um pro series has it, while w series doesn't. Um pro is intended for performing musicians so they need that flex pre shaped ear hook for more comfort. Likewise, I'm not a fan of memory wire you need to bend and reshape. I usually pull it off the cable lol! The one in um pro - i like.

May 9, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,286 of 3,037
can you actually just yank it out ?
I would also think everybody like comfort, muzo or not.
To me it doesnt make any sence to have 4 inches of plastic coated wire pushing the cable in whatever direction, pretty sure silver litz cables are the reason why gravity was invented.:L3000:

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #2,288 of 3,037
18379437_1517718141634868_84129800_o.jpg

Westone 3 so dark you cant even see them kinda like that dragon in how to train a dragon, side by side with umpro 50 also , ak jnr with massive treble adjustments, silver cable,silicone tips and dragon back light for that extra bit of brightness.

both iems ftw

May 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #2,289 of 3,037
Where did you buy your W60 from? W60 comes with two cables, audio only braided Epic cable and another cable with in-line remote, the one you mentioned about:

7472622.jpg

There shouldn't be too much sonic difference between the cables, they both use ofc wires, but Epic audio cable is just nicer in my opinion, more pliable since it has thinner shielding. But regardless, that's why Westone includes two of these cables.

Better contact their support to request Epic audio cable. Or, if you got it used from someone else who didn't include the Epic cable, explain to them and provide serial number (either from the packaging box or printed on the nozzle of IEMs).

Thanks. I purchased these brand new and they were packaged with the BT cable (useless to use with these). Looks like I am stuck with the cable I received. But it is a free country (so far) and have ordered a new aftermarket cable. Thank you for your input.

May 9, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #2,290 of 3,037
Thanks. I purchased these brand new and they were packaged with the BT cable (useless to use with these). Looks like I am stuck with the cable I received. But it is a free country (so far) and have ordered a new aftermarket cable. Thank you for your input.

Oh, that was one of the Amazon bundles with bt cable? Why do you think BT cable is useless with W60? BT cable adds a little bit of a noise floor, per my tests, but majority of iems I tried it with had a decent sound quality, actually close to wired performance, unless if it's a comfort issue? I still think it worth a shot to contact them and explain the situation, requesting Epic cable. You never know, maybe say you were under impression it would come with both cables?

May 9, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,291 of 3,037
Oh, that was one of the Amazon bundles with bt cable? Why do you think BT cable is useless with W60? BT cable adds a little bit of a noise floor, per my tests, but majority of iems I tried it with had a decent sound quality, actually close to wired performance, unless if it's a comfort issue? I still think it worth a shot to contact them and explain the situation, requesting Epic cable. You never know, maybe say you were under impression it would come with both cables?

Yes, it was a packaged bundle. I'll see if I can contact them and see about getting the braided cable. As for the BT cable, the 2 things that bothered me are the things you mentioned (except comfort). The sound quality/noise floor really drove me crazy when I am using a $1k IEM with a $600 DAP. We discuss and analyze sound quality to gnat's ass and then we have this (BT cable). A complete fail when it comes to utilizing them with these IEMs from my prospective.

On another note, I am completely baffled by my admiration for the UMPro50 over the W60. Not saying W60 is bad (its great) but I miss the UMPro 50 sound signature.

May 9, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,292 of 3,037
Hideeho
Speaking of bt adaptors...
Does anyone know if Westone is planning a bt 5.0 version? That has the potential to be a game changer if works as advertised & can get past the (well earned) bad rep bt has currently.

May 9, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,293 of 3,037
Yes, it was a packaged bundle. I'll see if I can contact them and see about getting the braided cable. As for the BT cable, the 2 things that bothered me are the things you mentioned (except comfort). The sound quality/noise floor really drove me crazy when I am using a $1k IEM with a $600 DAP. We discuss and analyze sound quality to gnat's ass and then we have this (BT cable). A complete fail when it comes to utilizing them with these IEMs from my prospective.

On another note, I am completely baffled by my admiration for the UMPro50 over the W60. Not saying W60 is bad (its great) but I miss the UMPro 50 sound signature.

Yeap, their sound sig differs. If you want stronger mid-bass impact and crisper treble - go for Pro50, if you want a more balanced lush sound - go with W60.

Maybe you can play with some EQ to tailor the sound to your liking? Cowon DAPs with JetEffect is a heaven for sound tweaking :D

May 9, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #2,294 of 3,037
Hideeho
Speaking of bt adaptors...
Does anyone know if Westone is planning a bt 5.0 version? That has the potential to be a game changer if works as advertised & can get past the (well earned) bad rep bt has currently.

BT 5.0 is too fresh out of the oven :D I thought only latest Galaxy S8 phones have it, or maybe others are implementing it now as well?

At the current moment, all these BT Cables and dongles are there for convenience. I tested a few, and they all have a noise floor, everything is too compact/small, no proper filtering, isolation, etc. If you want a true audiophile experience, go with a wired option, cables is the way to go. If you want to use your fancy iems outdoors or at the gym where you don't pay as much attention to high fidelity and noise floor blends in with outside noise - just choose whatever device will be the most comfortable for you, has better battery life, supports corresponding codecs, etc.

:beerchug:

May 10, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,295 of 3,037
BT 5.0 is too fresh out of the oven :D I thought only latest Galaxy S8 phones have it, or maybe others are implementing it now as well?

At the current moment, all these BT Cables and dongles are there for convenience. I tested a few, and they all have a noise floor, everything is too compact/small, no proper filtering, isolation, etc. If you want a true audiophile experience, go with a wired option, cables is the way to go. If you want to use your fancy iems outdoors or at the gym where you don't pay as much attention to high fidelity and noise floor blends in with outside noise - just choose whatever device will be the most comfortable for you, has better battery life, supports corresponding codecs, etc.

:beerchug:
Hideeho
You're right of course. AFAIK the S8 is currently the only thing out there w/ bt 5.0 & there are no 5.0 headphones or speakers yet.

Since Samsung put it in, you KNOW Apple will have to keep up & put it in the next iPhone. By then everyone will include it, making 5.0 the new standard. The problem w/ current BT is the data transfer rate requires a clipping of the sound (even APTX still does it, just better...). The data rate of 5.0 is approaching Wi-Fi speeds. It has the potential to offer true audiophile sound quality wirelessly at a decent distance (if the marketing hype is to be believed... :wink: ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back