Want to buy a new pair of headphones (300$), need suggestions
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Daniel Gur

Head-Fier
I currently have m50x's but I want something better then them. I thought he-400i or the hd-6xx but I am really not sure about them cause I dont know if I will like the sound of those. I am listening 50% of the time to edm, hip-hop and rap and 50% of the time to all the other kinds of music- Pop, Electro swing, Rock, early 2000's, alternative rock and sometimes piano works. I am not sure if that is a smart idea but I thought to buy open back headphones and use them for all the non EDM, hip-hop and rap and use my m50x for the EDM, hip-hop and rap.

My Budget is 300$ but can extend a little, would prefer not spending over 250$ (for the headphones- amp/dac will buy later this year)

Hope someone can help me, my 1st choice right now is the he-400i's.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 17
I currently have m50x's but I want something better then them. I thought he-400i or the hd-6xx but I am really not sure about them cause I dont know if I will like the sound of those. I am listening 50% of the time to edm, hip-hop and rap and 50% of the time to all the other kinds of music- Pop, Electro swing, Rock, early 2000's, alternative rock and sometimes piano works. I am not sure if that is a smart idea but I thought to buy open back headphones and use them for all the non EDM, hip-hop and rap and use my m50x for the EDM, hip-hop and rap.

My Budget is 300$ but can extend a little, would prefer not spending over 250$ (for the headphones- amp/dac will buy later this year)

Hope someone can help me, my 1st choice right now is the he-400i's.

From a technical standpoint the HE400i is better save for efficiency, but ultimately it all comes down more to product support. While it's easy to get earpads for HiFiMan headphones the rest of the headphone's bits aren't easy to replace. With the HD6XX the only problem on that is getting the exact same bits as the HD6XX edition, otherwise HD600 and HD650 parts will fit.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 17
From a technical standpoint the HE400i is better save for efficiency, but ultimately it all comes down more to product support. While it's easy to get earpads for HiFiMan headphones the rest of the headphone's bits aren't easy to replace. With the HD6XX the only problem on that is getting the exact same bits as the HD6XX edition, otherwise HD600 and HD650 parts will fit.
ok, thanks. have any other headphones to suggest?

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 17
650 or 400i is the best of the best for that price really. Senn is more laid back and the 400i is quicker. 400i doesn't need as much power so I would recommend those if you won't have a DAC and amp soon

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 17
I'd recommend the Monoprice Monolith M1060 if you were getting an amp soon, (They like juice). I like them for your designated styles of music far more than the 400i, and I'm not really a fan of the HD-650/6XX.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 17
650 or 400i is the best of the best for that price really. Senn is more laid back and the 400i is quicker. 400i doesn't need as much power so I would recommend those if you won't have a DAC and amp soon

Good solid recs here. I owned the 650s (twice) and the 400s not i and enjoyed both. I am now enjoying Beyerdynamic dt-150 even more. Just a thought.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 17
Yep, HE400i or HD 650 if you want to buy new.

But (in my opinion) you can get much higher performance with used STAX, which is available in your price range on the classifieds here from time to time.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 17
One other option if you don't want to have to add an amp is the HE400S, which is really a terrific headphone. Very happy with mine. An amp may help but is not required. You might read about it and see what you think. It could work for you possibly as well.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 17
You're correct. So unless you can justify why it's worth spending 300 dollars on the 650s, then your replies are pretty much pointless.

There are any number of reasons someone would want the HD 650 instead of the HD 6XX. The main one I can think of is availability. Massdrop takes a long time to ship things out (the page currently says the next ship date is...December!?), and their sales only occur every once in awhile. Then there's aesthetics...brand loyalty...and who knows what all the other audiophiles out there are thinking...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 17
There are any number of reasons someone would want the HD 650 instead of the HD 6XX. The main one I can think of is availability. Massdrop takes a long time to ship things out (the page currently says the next ship date is...December!?), and their sales only occur every once in awhile. Then there's aesthetics...brand loyalty...and who knows what all the other audiophiles out there are thinking...

I suppose I am unconvinced, but I don't doubt that some people prefer to waste their money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back