V-MODA Forza Metallo Wireless Discussion with Val Kolton + Impressions, Etc.
May 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #33 of 51
For those awaiting my comparison the wired Forza sounds significantly better than the SBH80. I'll have a more in-depth review and comparison once I get more burn-in and listening time with them, but definitely not a Forza killer. For the price though, totally worth it.

May 16, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #35 of 51
I don't remember how I stumbled upon the Sony SBH80 but I was struck by its resemblance to the V-MODA Forza Metallo Wireless. Same neckband design. Same sized micro-drivers. Same dual-microphone array. Stylistically they varied a bit - the SBH80 smooth and understated with an elegant corporate sheen while the Forza is rugged, more aggressive and angular - Sony playing Bruce Wayne to V-MODA's Batman. Sonically, however, the reverse holds true.

Like the flashy cars, supermodels and bold proclamations Bruce Wayne uses to bolster his billionaire playboy facade, the Forza has a forward, exciting and upfront, yet spacious presentation. Vocals ring clear, treble shimmers and sparkles grazing the edge, but never, sibilant and harsh, bass is textured and deep but not overpowering, and everything sounds open. Put simply the Forza sounds energetic. And rich.

Conversely the SBH80 sound is more subdued and slightly hidden. It's not veiled, but certainly there is a blanket of fog from which the mids emerge. After all, the cowl has openings for the eyes and mouth, but none for the ears. Treble is smooth here, never bright, harsh, or sibilant. Bass is powerful, with some THUMP! and BOOM! And what's an encounter with Batman without a bit of a bleed? It's not heavy, remember he doesn't kill, but the midsection takes a small hit. Smooth, forgiving and punchy. How apt a description for The Dark Knight.

May 21, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #36 of 51
I've just ordered a pair (these suit my needs more than the CF2's).
I have always found silicone tips to be a bit iffy. If they fail to be any good has anyone had any experiences with the comply foam tips and forza's? Wired or otherwise.

May 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #37 of 51
I've just ordered a pair (these suit my needs more than the CF2's).
I have always found silicone tips to be a bit iffy. If they fail to be any good has anyone had any experiences with the comply foam tips and forza's? Wired or otherwise.
Comply 400 series tips fit perfectly.

May 23, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #39 of 51
Yep .... these things are amazing! No regrets. Quite neutral not bass heavy; they sound suprisingly open too.
Large silicon tips seem to do the trick although I am using the wings all the time also.

My only concern if I'm being nit-picky is they could have used a touch more reinforcement around the cable ends; this looks like a failure waiting to happen.

May 26, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #40 of 51
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #42 of 51
I just tried the Audeze iSINE10 with Lightning Connector and trust me on this, Forza Metallo Wireless sounds really close/just as good!!!! Just wow. Was expecting a wow, but from the Audeze, not from this. LOL.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #43 of 51
That's interesting, even without Bluetooth AAC support. I wonder if V-Moda's implementation of SBC is the same as with the CF2W in that it really didn't make a difference when listening via SBC or aptX (at least that I could tell). I've been looking at these more and more but I'm still satisfied with my BeatsX. I just wish they had a little more instrument and stereo separation along with bass, they're surprisingly pretty neutral especially for Beats branded earbuds. How is the wireless performance of the Metallo's? Do they cut in and out a lot? That's one thing I still like about the W1 chip that other headphone makers (except maybe Plantronics) just haven't been able to replicate.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #44 of 51
That's interesting, even without Bluetooth AAC support. I wonder if V-Moda's implementation of SBC is the same as with the CF2W in that it really didn't make a difference when listening via SBC or aptX (at least that I could tell). I've been looking at these more and more but I'm still satisfied with my BeatsX. I just wish they had a little more instrument and stereo separation along with bass, they're surprisingly pretty neutral especially for Beats branded earbuds. How is the wireless performance of the Metallo's? Do they cut in and out a lot? That's one thing I still like about the W1 chip that other headphone makers (except maybe Plantronics) just haven't been able to replicate.
I agree. I honestly couldn't tell that much difference between AptX and SBC. But even if there's a difference, maybe it's because iPhone and Mac amplifiers are obviously different.

I tried BeatsX and to be honest they are decent. Not quite as good as the FMW though. FMW has more instrument separation and soundstage. For me the wireless performance is 90% good at times. Sometimes it cuts out, but I think it's an issue with my iPhone... The earphones still show up on Bluetooth but gone from the output selection. This could be caused by my smartwatch too, as I realized since I have the smartwatch, Bluetooth speakers and headphones occasionally disconnect randomly. I'd highly recommend trying it because they come with a lengthy test drive period anyway so no sweat there. BeatsX is cheaper so if you're satisfied and not looking for more, I'd stick with it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back