Urgent: Should I buy the Sony MDR-1A for €99
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #17 of 26
That one is up to you. :) :)
I've got black, and genuinely think that they look better, because I've got a few Sony items and love the black with metallic red. But hey, the silver are smart too,, and are a bit less common.. :wink: I just don't like the brown (?) pads.
Not helping, am I? :wink: :wink:
Go with what you like bro.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 26
Ordered the Silver ones which are less common and was the first time they had them on lightning deal. Now I should quit this forum before I spend more money on headphones!!

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #19 of 26
You and me both pal! I won't tell you how much I've spent since visiting here.. It's shocking!
Leave now, unless you have almighty willpower..:wink:
Seriously though, the silver are a very nice choice, and I'm pretty sure that you will like the sound of these.
Good luck! Enjoy. :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #20 of 26
I'm sure this is a bit late...but if it still helps I returned the MDR-1As after lusting them for many months and researching/comparing. I too was looking for something new and these seemed and look absolutely amazing in addition tot he great price on amazon.fr. But the bass was too...blubbery. It bled into everything else and I couldn't enjoy the entirety of a track. If you really like bass, but the rest of the range as well, I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. To me, everything shines in these and bass+equalizer boost is like a subwoofer on your head. The entire headphone seems to rattle though when bass is boosted all the way.

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 26
I'm sure this is a bit late...but if it still helps I returned the MDR-1As after lusting them for many months and researching/comparing. I too was looking for something new and these seemed and look absolutely amazing in addition tot he great price on amazon.fr. But the bass was too...blubbery. It bled into everything else and I couldn't enjoy the entirety of a track. If you really like bass, but the rest of the range as well, I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. To me, everything shines in these and bass+equalizer boost is like a subwoofer on your head. The entire headphone seems to rattle though when bass is boosted all the way.

Blubbery? You calling my headphones "blubbery"? :wink:
Each to their own, I guess. I found the bass to be a bit boomy straight out of my iPod, but not excessively, and tight and deep out of my Fiio M3 and e17k. I even EQ a touch more bass out of the e17k when I feel the songs will benefit. Guess I'm a basshead :wink: I have never once felt that there is any "bleed" into the mids, but hey, we all have different opinions. :)
I'm going to try those Beyers sometime, and compare.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #22 of 26
Blubbery? You calling my headphones "blubbery"?
wink.gif

Each to their own, I guess. I found the bass to be a bit boomy straight out of my iPod, but not excessively, and tight and deep out of my Fiio M3 and e17k. I even EQ a touch more bass out of the e17k when I feel the songs will benefit. Guess I'm a basshead
wink.gif
I have never once felt that there is any "bleed" into the mids, but hey, we all have different opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to try those Beyers sometime, and compare.

Yes. Yes I did. What are you going to do about it!? 
basshead.gif

I listen to mostly classic rock, and the low end seemed to "stay" inside the headphones interfering with the rest of guitars and strong vocals like Axel Rose's. I tried A/B-ing both with neutral headphones for comparison. Deadmau5 seems to sound better in Sonys though 
smily_headphones1.gif

What kind of music do you listen to?

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 26
Hopefully you do realise that I was joking, :wink: no need to "do" anything about it. :wink::blush:
I listen to all sorts from classic electronic (Tangerine Dream) through lots of classic rock (Led Zeppelin and Zappa) with a pretty good mix of all except jazz, which I find too boring.
I think that the Sony has a very nice range of dynamics, good extension and isn't overblown in the bass. I listened to literally dozens of sets before deciding because I wanted to get the very best for *my* tastes irrespective of price. I like experimenting with IEMs but only wanted one good set of overears.
But, hey, I'm not criticizing your choice or opinions, no fighting required. :)

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 26
Hopefully you do realise that I was joking,
wink.gif
no need to "do" anything about it. :wink::blush:
I listen to all sorts from classic electronic (Tangerine Dream) through lots of classic rock (Led Zeppelin and Zappa) with a pretty good mix of all except jazz, which I find too boring.
I think that the Sony has a very nice range of dynamics, good extension and isn't overblown in the bass. I listened to literally dozens of sets before deciding because I wanted to get the very best for *my* tastes irrespective of price. I like experimenting with IEMs but only wanted one good set of overears.
But, hey, I'm not criticizing your choice or opinions, no fighting required.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, I'm just poking fun as well.
I am actually currently on that same search for over ears, and still making my way through the (way too many) sets available. Since you also listen to classic rock, would you have any recommendations as to close seconds to the MDR-1A? In particular, I am looking for good commuting headphones, and many people have recommended me the Bowers and Wilkins P7 for sound quality and isolation.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #25 of 26
Glad to hear it. :) Sometimes irony doesn't translate on the 'net...
Frankly I didn't hear any overears that were close enough for my tastes. Tried AT, nothing really impressed, same for Sennheiser just not to my tastes. I *really* like the Beyerdynamic T1 and T5, but yeah, price..:expressionless:
Have not however, heard the B&W, harder to find where I am.
And on-ears, I was impressed by the Beyer T51i, nice rich sound, and sensible price but I prefer overears for home and portable.
Basically only Sony and Beyer suit my tastes so I'll seek out the 770 and get a listen just out of interest, but I'm really happy with my 1A, took a lot of testing before I was convinced but never regretted one bit. :) Happy :ear:
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back