The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #61 of 11,341
  I'm actually quite excited about these headphones as are the engineers, producers and artists that I've auditioned them for.  

For clarification, my system is Duntech Princess with Krell FBP300 amps in a Walters-Storyk designed room.  This system is hardly bright.  I doubt you have ever been in this room listening to music because if you have, this would not be your comment.

We have many different manufacturers and models of headphones at Battery and use them all.  Including Stax.  Please do the comparison for yourself, I think you will be impressed.

I feel you should give the Z1R's an audition before making comments like this.  What went into the design is very impressive to me and my participation was only a small part of the overall finished product.

Okay, sorry if my post was a tad harsh, I'll try to audition the headphones as soon as possible.
Hope you have a nice day!

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #63 of 11,341
  I'm actually quite excited about these headphones as are the engineers, producers and artists that I've auditioned them for.  

For clarification, my system is Duntech Princess with Krell FBP300 amps in a Walters-Storyk designed room.  This system is hardly bright.  I doubt you have ever been in this room listening to music because if you have, this would not be your comment.

We have many different manufacturers and models of headphones at Battery and use them all.  Including Stax.  Please do the comparison for yourself, I think you will be impressed.

I feel you should give the Z1R's an audition before making comments like this.  What went into the design is very impressive to me and my participation was only a small part of the overall finished product.

This makes me feel a lot better!!!

Thanks and welcome to Head-fi, Mark!  I hope we get to hear more from you!

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #65 of 11,341

Mark, can you tell us a bit about the bass on these headphones? How deep is it and what is the sound signature of the cans?

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #66 of 11,341

let's not forget that Mark was responsible for the remastering of the ENTIRE Miles Davis back catalogue for Columbia/Sony as well as the majority of the label's jazz output, he is not just any engineer

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #67 of 11,341
Not harsh.  I just wanted it to be factual.  I would agree that the Cello amps would make many systems bright, but the Krell's are very different.  In the tuning sessions, we worked hard to make the Z1R's a exceptional musical experience.  

I'm mastering a live jazz album right now and the producer and engineer are fighting over the Z1R's because they feel the depth is more impressive than my monitoring system.  The engineer uses the 1A's and I have the 1R's, 1A's and Z7's here as well.  They listened to them all and have been on the Z1R's for the past 3 hours.  I'm the only one listening on speakers right now.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #68 of 11,341
Not harsh.  I just wanted it to be factual.  I would agree that the Cello amps would make many systems bright, but the Krell's are very different.  In the tuning sessions, we worked hard to make the Z1R's a exceptional musical experience.  

I'm mastering a live jazz album right now and the producer and engineer are fighting over the Z1R's because they feel the depth is more impressive than my monitoring system.  The engineer uses the 1A's and I have the 1R's, 1A's and Z7's here as well.  They listened to them all and have been on the Z1R's for the past 3 hours.  I'm the only one listening on speakers right now.

hello mark, how would you characterise the difference between the z7 and the z1R? as you might not be aware, but the tuning of the z7 has been rather polarising in this forum, therefore any insight would be appreciated!

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #72 of 11,341
Wow, stunning design. That is the most clean looking headphone I've seen in quite some time.
Classy Sony. Not so classy price.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #74 of 11,341
This just cropped up on the Sony Asia website.
A new portable PHA-2A headphone amp with balanced out!

More details here:
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/headphone-amplifiers/pha-2A

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #75 of 11,341
Classy pricing if you followed Sony High-end. Both R10 and Q10 are in the same pricing segment with both having superb quality and performances

True. Very true.
The R10 is pretty legendary (to me), but there is just so much competition nowadays. However it looks the most refined out of all high-end headphones, or rather the most beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back