The music that i shall use to test my Hugo 2
Mar 27, 2017 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

miketlse

Headphoneus Supremus
There have been a few posts on the Hugo 2 thread, detailing the tracks that a few people plan to use to test their new Hugo 2 dacs.
I am still compiling my list, but I will start to share it with you here - bear in mind that the list is a work in progress.

The tracks already posted on the Hugo 2 thread are generating some ideas for me, so please add your test tracks also - I am confident that they will be very interesting also, and generate additional inspiration.

I have taken inspiration from the Mojo Greatest Hits thread, so as well as just the tracks, try and include the recording, orchestra, conductor, plus which elements of the track(s) will prove most interesting.
This can apply to both rock, classical, or other tracks - there is plenty of evidence for all types of music, that not all masterings are equal.
regular_smile .gif

Medieval

Andreas Scholl - English Folksongs Lute Songs. I keep thinking that the Blu 2 and DAVE would have such fun with the building acoustics. https://www.discogs.com/Andreas-Scholl-English-Folksongs-Lute-Songs/release/1000415

Harmonia Mundi have a reputation for excellent recording quality, and these albums by the Clemencic Consort, have loads of detail plus the building acoustics (reminds me of a church). Most of the tracks have something of interest.
https://www.discogs.com/Clemencic-Consort-René-Clemencic-Troubadours/release/6821114
You can find single CD versions, or this 3 CD version - https://www.amazon.fr/Carmina-Burana/dp/B000027P26/

Rock

Dire Straights - Telegraph Road. An old favourite at HiFi shows, but as well as the good recording quality, there is always fun trying to see how early you can hear the introduction, as it slowly fades in.

Patti Smith - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Mojo makes the bass at the start of this track sound incredibly moody so I hope the Hugo 2 does the same. The video is fun as well.

Folk Rock

Joni Mitchell - Mingus. The track The wolf that lives in Lyndsey, is a Chord or RW favourite for testing, because it is so difficult to reproduce all three of the vocals, instrument plus the etherial howling of the wolves. https://www.discogs.com/Joni-Mitchell-Mingus/release/667038

Opera

Carmina Burana - Eugen Jochum conducting. There are many releases of this, but I am currently enjoying this. Can be tricky to set the volume - set it comfortable for the O Furtuna start, and you can struggle to hear the remaining quieter tracks, so this is a test of the overall system (including ears to some extent) http://www.discogs.com/Carl-Orff-Gu...-Und-Orchester-Der-Deutschen-/release/2538895

A different version, which my friend likes("version directed by M.Plasson with very good french soprano, french counter-tenor and an american barytone but the choir is not as good (some mistakes among tenors)"), but which has not grabbed me yet. https://www.discogs.com/Carl-Orff-N...ra-Orchestre-National-Du-Capi/release/7247073

My friend has also recommended the version from Wolfgang Sawallisch, in which the soloists are not as good but the choir is wonderful (good If you like more constrast in the volume (and have fine ears and a good hifi equipment)). I would hope that the Hugo 2 is ranked 'good hifi equipment'.
wink.gif

I found the first two recordings in the work mediatheque, but I have not yet spotted a copy of the last recording.

@UELong posted "
Funny enough, I was never a big crossfeed user except for hard-panned older music. But, I found it useful when listening to 'Jazz Side Of The Moon,' which I bought last night. It seemed to bring a little focus to the stage, where without, I actually heard that inside-the-head effect. So, it just depends on the recording and personal taste."

Luckily I already have a copy, so I shall be able to test the crossfeed effect. https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0012IWIMW

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 43
Heres a list im working on for Hugo 2 and need to add more.

Beyond Creation - Omnipresent Perception (transients)

Meshuggah - MonstroCity (instrument separation & texture)

Horrendous - The Vermillion (detail/ micro detail)

Machine Head - Im Your God Now [Live] (soundstage)

A Perfect Circle - The Package (bass controll)

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 43
growing up in a large cosmopolitan city urban music//old skool dance and garage//reggae//ragga type influences on the very edge of what is considered commercially mainstream were a very deep and large part of what influenced me growing up. 

i was also first violin in my city's junior orchestra and had the option to train and progress into the adult symphony had i taken that route
bigsmile_face.gif
. is there any conflict here? hell no and the sooner some people get over this the sooner the musical world will open and flourish and become that much more richer imho. i've listed 5 or so tracks with a very brief reason why. but these are a must:

1) Dire Straits Your Latest Trick from Brothers in Arms Remastered. The saxophone is mesmerising. The lyrics hit home so hard. The percussion is electric. there is no limit to the number of times i can put this on repeat. here the ability to reproduce sax in the most analogue natural way is a test for hugo2.

2) Vybz Cartel //She's Holding On//Not a Love Song// the international Jamaican reggae superstar. The immediacy of the artists voice and the ability to connect to those listening and the projection of pure raw emotion coupled again with the lyrics. it is incredible hence the status the Real King of Dancehall. here the ability to project the immediacy of voice. can i close my eyes and enter into a conversation with Adidja Azim Palmer? not to forget the bassline.

3) Andrea Bocelli Cinema. I won't explain anything here apart from La chanson de Lara (from Dr. Zhivago) moves me everytime. can hugo 2 do real justice to Andrea's voice?

4) Anything by Niccolò Paganini the violin wizard. Incredibly complex and technical. will hugo 2 remain one step ahead here at the very least? at £1800 i sure hope so.
wink_face.gif

5) I recently discovered Charles Earland the acclaimed jazz organist, especially More Today Than Yesterday. I might feel like some Jah Cure Before I Leave though. the more to do with real life's issues and diverse the music the better. will hugo 2 neutralise any hint of fatigue in listening to More Today than Yesterday on repeat?

these will get me started as its quite common for 8 hours to vanish.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 43
I like both Dire Straits choices; Telegraph Rd would have been one of my choices.
A classical work I enjoy is:
Hindemith_ Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes from Carl Maria von Weber, from the Kansas City Symphony with Michael Stern conducting.  Particularly the 1st movement, Allegro.
I used this track to compare Mojo to Hugo, finding the Mojo wanting in timbral accuracy, finding for example, that the Hugo rendered some quiet bassoon passages more bassoon-like, whereas the Mojo rendered notes without clearly identified tone.  I'm excited to see what dificult minor details the H2 will uncover from this, as well as other Classical works. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 43
  I like both Dire Straits choices; Telegraph Rd would have been one of my choices.
Hindemith_ Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes from Carl Maria von Weber, from the Kansas City Symphony with Michael Stern conducting.  Particularly the 1st movement, Allegro.
I used this track to compare Mojo to Hugo, finding the Mojo wanting in timbral accuracy, finding for example, that the Hugo rendered some quiet bassoon passages more bassoon-like, whereas the Mojo rendered notes without clearly identified tone.  I'm excited to see what dificult minor details the H2 will uncover from this, as well as other Classical works. 

Is this the recording that you are referring to? http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Reference%2BRecordings/RR132

If yes, then I shall look out for it when I next visit the mediatheque.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 43

Is this the recording that you are referring to? http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Reference%2BRecordings/RR132

If yes, then I shall look out for it when I next visit the mediatheque.

Yes it is.  I bought the 176.4kb/s version from HDTracks.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 43

Thanks,

Maybe i am a bit old fashioned, but I enjoy visiting the mediatheque once or twice a week, and trying to find the physical CDs, and reading the album details.
If that fails, then there is always plan B which is buy the CD or download the track. 
regular_smile .gif

Do you have any other classical recommendations, because the mediatheque contains thousands of discs?

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 43

Thanks,

Maybe i am a bit old fashioned, but I enjoy visiting the mediatheque once or twice a week, and trying to find the physical CDs, and reading the album details.
If that fails, then there is always plan B which is buy the CD or download the track. 
regular_smile .gif

Do you have any other classical recommendations, because the mediatheque contains thousands of discs?

Not off the top of my head, at the moment.
As for me, I live in a small lunch-bucket city with nowhere to go and lose myself in music media.  We used to have a used goods store where one could browse through unsorted CDs and find some interesting things.  Don't get out much on my own these days.  That's why it's best for me to browse online.  I enjoy our ProStudioMasters catalogue, as one can find interesting stuff that's not 'strictly commercial.'
I'll look through my collection and see what else grabs my attention.
For mood music, there's always the Hoff Ensemble's Quiet Winter's Night from 2L.  I tried the demo track from the testbench page.  I found the percussion sound of this track (and album, for that matter) to be woody and warm.
Kevin

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 43
  Not off the top of my head, at the moment.
As for me, I live in a small lunch-bucket city with nowhere to go and lose myself in music media.  We used to have a used goods store where one could browse through unsorted CDs and find some interesting things.  Don't get out much on my own these days.  That's why it's best for me to browse online.  I enjoy our ProStudioMasters catalogue, as one can find interesting stuff that's not 'strictly commercial.'
I'll look through my collection and see what else grabs my attention.
For mood music, there's always the Hoff Ensemble's Quiet Winter's Night from 2L.  I tried the demo track from the testbench page.  I found the percussion sound of this track (and album, for that matter) to be woody and warm.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Every week at the mediatheque, I try and select some CDs related to artists that I know about, plus some CDs recommended by others, plus some CDs that are new composers/artists to me but look interesting.

it all helps make an interesting journey, because some CDs turn out to be Meh... but others open up new avenues for enjoyment. 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 43
Some of my favorite albums (albums?) for testing equipment, in no particular order or genre. These just seem to be so well recorded to my ears (and on Hugo 1) that they really show what a system can do.

Johnny A - Get inside - burned from CD
Herbie Hancock - River: The Joni Letters - HDTracks
Keb Mo - Just like you - HDTracks
Manu Katche - Unstatic - HDTracks
Marcus Miller - Afrodeezia -HDTracks
Michael Hedges - Beyond Boundaries - burned from CD
Diana Krall - The girl in the other room - burned from CD (Rebecca Pidgeon and Lourde's Pure Heroine's HDTracks recordings are also great for female vocals)
Dave Matthews - Under the table and dreaming - burned from CD
Mark Knopfler - (Take your pick; Get Lucky, Kill to get crimson, Shangri-La, The ragpicker's dream), really well mixed to bring out his vocals.

I know 44.1/16 resolution from CD is almost shrugged off anymore, but some recordings, to my ears, are of equal or better sq than many higher def offerings.

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 43
Thanks for starting this thread, I’m always looking forward to new recordings.

I have to agree, personally Telegraph Read and Private Investigation are my favorite benchmark. I particularly enjoy them with my Kaiser Encore and WM1Z and I’m looking forward to test the Hugo2.

These are my other 2 cents suggestions:

- Bill Evans
Moon Beans - Amazing soundstage
Some Other Time (The Lost Session From The Black Forest) - Instruments separation and details

- And last the least famous track; Spider Suite from April's Empire by The Duke of Uke and His Novelty Orchestra. - Great track for details & separation

Other few albums that I love to listen while I’m comparing new gear.

Amber Rubarth
Sessions From The 17th Ward (Binaural)

David Watkin
J.S. Bach: The Cello Suites, BWV 1007-1012

Damien Rice
My Favourite Faded Fantasy

Said that, cannot wait to receive the new Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back