The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 6, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #5,343 of 6,326
Is there a problem stacking the head unit directly on top of the power supply - as Headamp does at CanJam shows?

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #5,344 of 6,326
  Is there a problem stacking the head unit directly on top of the power supply - as Headamp does at CanJam shows?

I found on high gain there may be a faint hum in the black but i use medium gain at any rate which is great. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #5,345 of 6,326

I found on high gain there may be a hum in the black but i use medium gain at any rate which is great. 

Is is possible with the two units stack to detect a faint hum in the background when using high gain with very efficient headphones or IEMs. It's not audible at anything approaching a sane listening level however.

We don't officially recommend using the GS-X permanently in a directly stacked configuration, however there are times where that might be most convenient, such at meets/shows with small tables.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Apr 6, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5,346 of 6,326
Thank you

How long is the cable connecting the two units?

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #5,348 of 6,326
Hey Everybody,

First impressions here.  I am borrowing a friend's GSX-2 (w/ DACT) with the option to buy.  It's one of the first ten made.  I've only read about a 1/3rd of this thread so I'll go through it in more detail later.

I was expecting a huge amp based on pictures, but it is more reasonably sized than I had imagined.  I guess size is relative.  My Spring KTE DAC is huge.   

This must be what it's like to own a sports car.  The GSX is flexing those drivers with ease and delivering plenty of detail with clarity.  The layers unfold and the music is delivered in a forward yet not aggressive manner.  This is not a laid back amp like my Auditor.  The neutrality of this amp pairs well with my HD800S and Z1R.  Tonality and timbre are to my liking.  I thought the PS1K sounded good but not my favorite pairing this with this headphone.  I am still trying different settings though.  I used mid-level gain.  HD800S and PS1K are balanced.  Z1R was unbalanced.  Spring KTE DAC balanced.    

My previous amp was the MicroZOTL2.0-S.  Two very different amps, but I think the edge goes to tube amps in regards to the size of the soundstage, especially in regards to width.  Maybe the soundstage width isn't small and I am just not used to hearing the mids being delivered so forward even on something like the HD800S.  I'll try some classical this evening.  

More impressions to come...

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #5,349 of 6,326
Shaolin fantastic enjoy the get down with gsx mk2

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #5,350 of 6,326
  Hey Everybody,

First impressions here.  I am borrowing a friend's GSX-2 (w/ DACT) with the option to buy.  It's one of the first ten made.  I've only read about a 1/3rd of this thread so I'll go through it in more detail later.

I was expecting a huge amp based on pictures, but it is more reasonably sized than I had imagined.  I guess size is relative.  My Spring KTE DAC is huge.   

This must be what it's like to own a sports car.  The GSX is flexing those drivers with ease and delivering plenty of detail with clarity.  The layers unfold and the music is delivered in a forward yet not aggressive manner.  This is not a laid back amp like my Auditor.  The neutrality of this amp pairs well with my HD800S and Z1R.  Tonality and timbre are to my liking.  I thought the PS1K sounded good but not my favorite pairing this with this headphone.  I am still trying different settings though.  I used mid-level gain.  HD800S and PS1K are balanced.  Z1R was unbalanced.  Spring KTE DAC balanced.    

My previous amp was the MicroZOTL2.0-S.  Two very different amps, but I think the edge goes to tube amps in regards to the size of the soundstage, especially in regards to width.  Maybe the soundstage width isn't small and I am just not used to hearing the mids being delivered so forward even on something like the HD800S.  I'll try some classical this evening.  

More impressions to come...

Add a KTE SU-1 in front of your KTE Level 3 Spring DAC, and we'll basically have the same setup. 
tongue.gif
 Absolutely agreed that the GS-X Mk2 is one brilliant amplifier. It can drive IEMs (on Low Gain) all the way up to the power hungry LCD-4s and everything in-between (and all brilliantly). 

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,352 of 6,326
Could be a rookie mistake too. Like a kid on Christmas Day I listened to all my headphones through the GSX. First HD800S then PS1000. The pairing with HD800S was so good that whatever came next would be a let down. I'll give the PS1K first dibs tonight.

My PS1K are balanced as well as the rest of my chain which consists of the KTE SU-1>KTE Spring DAC>GS-X Mk2 and I feel the PS1K shines with this system. :smile:

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #5,353 of 6,326
Could be a rookie mistake too. Like a kid on Christmas Day I listened to all my headphones through the GSX. First HD800S then PS1000. The pairing with HD800S was so good that whatever came next would be a let down. I'll give the PS1K first dibs tonight.

I had borrowed the 800S from TCC and found it to pair nicely with the GS-X Mk2 myself.
Also, the GS-X should be on lo gain for the PS1K.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #5,354 of 6,326
Low gain definitely works better with PS1K.

Will have more time to listen to the GS-X this weekend.  As configured, basic power cord (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JT0DG94/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) plugged into a Emotiva CMX-6 power strip and feeding it from source with Wireworld Equinox 1M balanced XLR.  Sounds pretty good as is but always some room to tweak.

Quote:
I had borrowed the 800S from TCC and found it to pair nicely with the GS-X Mk2 myself.
Also, the GS-X should be on lo gain for the PS1K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back