Stax sr-40 electret amplifier issue
Jun 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sklonchpower

Head-Fier
Dear Guru's and all who know what to do in my situation.
The point is that I bought stax sr-40 but without an stax srd-4 amplifier. They are electret headphones. I tried to connect it to my quinpu amplifier but failed. Sound from them was tooooo quiet. I see that they are working but didn't turn on at its best way. And sound from the is very very very quiet.
Could you please to give me a piece of advice is everything ok with my Stax in this situation and how to drive them using another amplifier???? My answer is is it possible to drive them using another amplifier or not? And advice which specs should be present in another amplifier??????
Thank you in advance!!!!

Jun 17, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 6
HI,
The adapter units contain the necessary step-up transformers for the input signal to get the signal powerful enough to drive the headphone.
You will need one. Consider that for the time period they were used on some beefy amps with those boxes, so simply attaching to amp directly is not going to work.
You can also plug those electrets into other STAX adapter units for full-bias Stax headphones also, since the electret cable only has the 4 pins needed for the 4 wires ( missing the 5th and/or 6th pin ), and does not require a bias charge ( does not need the extra connection from the regular stax boxes) so it plugs in without attaching to anything else.
Long story short, find a cheap solo adapter unit that is Stax compatible. They are always on ebay for instance.
Driving off a regular amp without one is not going to cut it.
= I hope the quiet issue does not turn out to be the drivers themselves, as once they get a screwed up permanent charge ( and sound faint even with the actual adapter units, or channel imbalances ) there is no way to reverse that.
Only one way to find out for sure.

Best of luck.
~N

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 6
I brought an amplifier srd-4, but it will arrive to me only in Augilust.
Taking into account possible problems with charged drivers, could you please describe a little bit sound of this headphones without connecting to stax amplifier? How would you describe it? In my situation if I connect it to Quinpu amlifier I barely hear the sound. Is it normal or not? Thanx

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 6
You won't be able to hear much without the Stax adapter with it's step-up transformers .
So that is normal what you are hearing now.
Best to play it safe and not try without the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back