sound stage vs volume
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gunwale

100+ Head-Fier
how do we measure sound stage when at low volume is far apart and everything is closer at higher volume?

since everyone are not comparing at the same volume does that means sound stage comparison is hardly accurate?

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 6
We don’t measure sound stage.
Have you ever seen any piece of gear that can measure it 
wink.gif

Our hearing is highly unlinear, the lower the level the more it is.
This is called the Fletcher–Munson curves.
This probably explains the phenomenon you are revering to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 6
how do we measure sound stage when at low volume is far apart and everything is closer at higher volume?

since everyone are not comparing at the same volume does that means sound stage comparison is hardly accurate?

It's not exactly strictly "measured." People just give their impressions on it. If it was "measured" we'd have to standardize the material people listen to, not just the output level.

Also why there's the problem of people talking about "wide" soundstage that is actually "highly disproportionate." Drums span the width of the stage, but the cymbals are far forward if not far to the flanks, making it seem like you have King Kong on the drums with normal sized bandmates, because how else would you have arms that hit drums positioned as wide as the entire stage.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 6
as said above, we don't. soundstage is an interpretation of the brain, and as such it can be very subjective and doesn't necessarily relate to the sound. it's like asking to quantify love. sure enough we can all tell when bob is in love because some of the cues are obvious, and when you read a love story, you can often feel like you can relate to at least some cues and feelings. but you can also get a lot of confusing cues and totally misinterpret how people feel or will react to the same combination of cues.

for soundstage it's the same thing. we know how ILD and ITL work https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization ,but you can't determine the soundstage interpretation only with 1 objective cue. it's timing, loudness, signature, and variations of all of the above between left and right ear.  to add to the complexity, the shape of my skull, the distance between my ears, and the shape of my ears, are all important factors in how I will interpret the audio cues.
and of course we stop there only if we consider a person in the dark with no extra sensory cues and no preconception about the sound heard(which never happens). when I watch tv with headphones, my brain tries to put the voice of the talking dude onto his moving face. sometime that fails because there are just too many contradicting cues, but if the brain can do it, it will because brains really don't like confusion between visual and audtory cues(and BTW the brain trusts the eyes more!).

let's just say that you're part of how good the soundstage will be for you. it's not only you, obviously it's the sound too, but it's also part you. and what you feel is only that, how you specifically feel. people talking about the soundstage of a device are IMO wrongly making a transfer of their feelings onto the device. there is no certainty that someone else would agree with how they felt. they just assume that because they felt a certain way, then the device "sounds" that way.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Maybe if you listen to an open-back headphone, you'd feel a larger soundstage. Because bass decrease in an open-back. But soundstage itself is not measureale. A combination of factors influence our perception of it.

I think the thicker the notes produced, the more congested the stage feels. In other words, bass/low frequency drivers and how loud it is, can affect our perception of soundstage. The louder the low and low-mids frequency, can cause a feeling of small/congested soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back