Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Feb 27, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #391 of 407
Feb 27, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #392 of 407
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #393 of 407
Just got the Android 7 update on my Z5 compact and a swear the audio sounds better with my SE846's. Not detecting any significant background hiss and doesn't sound mushy/veiled now.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #394 of 407
  Just got the Android 7 update on my Z5 compact and a swear the audio sounds better with my SE846's. Not detecting any significant background hiss and doesn't sound mushy/veiled now.

I believe you, I've had a xperia Z1 update (android 5 update IIRC) that veiled the output of my jack, and another update restored it.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #395 of 407
has anyone tried measuring output voltage? PhoneArena said it is 0.35V but maybe the software update tweaked that too?

btw I'm still stuck on Marshmallow as they haven't released the update to East Asian regions like Taiwan and Hong Kong. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #397 of 407
I've had my Z5 Premium for around a year and the audio quality is pretty poor, even for a smartphone.

I wish I'd used my Fiio X1 more often but the allure of streamed music on the go tempted me away from my hi def safety. At least it introduced me to new bands :)

I'll have to revisit it with my Ath E70's and some choice FLAC files.

Also, if you aren't using Neutron on Android, you're missing out. Neutron replaced PowerAmp as my music player about 4 years ago and never once considered looking back.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #398 of 407
Hi guys, I'm new to this thread. I have one question. I understand that the Sony uses DSEE HX to upscale compression files like .mp3 to near .flac level. Does the same apply if you use a external usb-c dac&amp combo? Will the audio output through usb-c instead of audio jack receive the same DSEE HX treatment? 

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #399 of 407
My understanding is that it only works through the headphone jack. But, the PHA-3 has it built in if you're looking for it in an external DA converter/headphone amp. That said, I have not found it to be a big difference for at least the files I have and the type of music I listen to. So, I typically leave it off.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #400 of 407
Jun 16, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #401 of 407
I just got a Bluetooth reciever (Maceton WM4BE). It sounds amazing when I'm playing music through Poweramp (not the alpha version), but other apps such as Sony Music Player, Spotify and YouTube sound too loud and distorted (mainly with piano notes). I went into safe mode and they still sound bad. Anyone else have similar experience?

On HTC Butterfly s it sometimes crackles when I start playing a new song but the song itself actually sounds fine.

Jul 26, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #402 of 407
I have a question about the Sony Z5c. Maybe one of you guys have some experience with this. I started using the Dragonfly black with Z5c, and after I found out I should start the phone WITH Dragonfly connected, or go in device connection and seek after USB device, I was surpriced that the Dragonfly lighted up in the magenta color (pinkish). I talked via e mail with one of the info guys at Dragonfly, and he said that Sony seemingly upscale something so the DF read a higher conversion. When I use the DF on my computer it glows bloodred until the music start, then it goes green. I understand that, but I´m puzzled over the Experia Z5c thing. Any thoughts?I only listen to Spotify on both units.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #403 of 407
I have a question about the Sony Z5c. Maybe one of you guys have some experience with this. I started using the Dragonfly black with Z5c, and after I found out I should start the phone WITH Dragonfly connected, or go in device connection and seek after USB device, I was surpriced that the Dragonfly lighted up in the magenta color (pinkish). I talked via e mail with one of the info guys at Dragonfly, and he said that Sony seemingly upscale something so the DF read a higher conversion. When I use the DF on my computer it glows bloodred until the music start, then it goes green. I understand that, but I´m puzzled over the Experia Z5c thing. Any thoughts?I only listen to Spotify on both units.
Thank you.

All android phones (not just Sony) currently scale audio sent to USB DAC's to 24bit 192/48 irrespective of the music track quality. Only using the App UAPP will you get your own music playing in bit-perfect. Tidal can be streamed through the UAPP App to also play correctly but not Tidal Offline tracks. There is no way to currently get Spotify out of Android without upscaling but to be honest, I can't tell the difference even with my SE846 IEMS. I also used Dragonfly Red plus Mojo DAC's.

I believe Spotify mostly uses 16bit 320kbps ogg files at 44,000Hz so should be showing as Red on you PC but I think some tracks are at 48,000Hz so would show green. On PC you would need to set correctly in the Playback Devices audio config. Windows generally defaults to 48,000Hz hence showing green.

Dragonfly's also have volume issues with Android devices and are much lower max volume than they should be. If you use UAPP be carful as it will go very loud through that App.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #404 of 407
All android phones (not just Sony) currently scale audio sent to USB DAC's to 24bit 192/48 irrespective of the music track quality. Only using the App UAPP will you get your own music playing in bit-perfect. Tidal can be streamed through the UAPP App to also play correctly but not Tidal Offline tracks. There is no way to currently get Spotify out of Android without upscaling but to be honest, I can't tell the difference even with my SE846 IEMS. I also used Dragonfly Red plus Mojo DAC's.

I believe Spotify mostly uses 16bit 320kbps ogg files at 44,000Hz so should be showing as Red on you PC but I think some tracks are at 48,000Hz so would show green. On PC you would need to set correctly in the Playback Devices audio config. Windows generally defaults to 48,000Hz hence showing green.

Dragonfly's also have volume issues with Android devices and are much lower max volume than they should be. If you use UAPP be carful as it will go very loud through that App.
Not all, but some, where some Sony phones are included.
The DAC come with Qualcomm SoC is capable of translate digital audio at the rate of 192kHz, and Qualcomm included a configuration that manufacturer can fix the audio sample rate at 192kHz.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #405 of 407
Ahah. Then I understand.
I tried to change my computer settings, and the light did change in the DF according to which setting I chose. I remember when I read the manual, I am almost sure it said I should choose the 44,100 hz setting, and the result is the green color. I dont hear better sound if I choose some of the other settings.48100-88200 or 96000hz in 24 bit. If I was listening to FLAC files it would maybe give a better sound with a higher setting. I dont have problems with the volume on my Android phone.:)
Thank you for answers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back