Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality
Aug 30, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #376 of 407
  Does the Z5s do apt-x when headphones are apt-x or they do SBC? Official site of Sony and of apt-x say nothing

It will always connect to the highest available codec supported by the device you're connected to -  LDAC->AptX->AAC->SBC.

It's also the only phone I've ever had that actually tells you that it connected to an AptX compatible device.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #377 of 407
I have Z1 compact and it also supports apt-X and a message is displayed upon connecting.
It is weird that Sony and Qualcomm apt-X does not list the Z5 phones as the ones having apt-X
Check at https://www.aptx.com/products?field_product_brand_tid=25

Althoug i see the Xperia X having LDAC as listed ...

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #378 of 407
  I have Z1 compact and it also supports apt-X and a message is displayed upon connecting.
It is weird that Sony and Qualcomm apt-X does not list the Z5 phones as the ones having apt-X
Check at https://www.aptx.com/products?field_product_brand_tid=25

Althoug i see the Xperia X having LDAC as listed ...

So you think the Z5 doesn't have apt-X ? Yet it has LDAC ? 

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #381 of 407
I use my zune hd over my sony xperia. Do you guys think I should use my phone or my zune still? 

would you say modern smartphones have suprpassed the quality of the oudated zune hd? or is it still a worthy contendor? My zune hd is pretty old now since it came out in 2009. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #382 of 407
Sold my Z5 compact as I can't bear the hissing noise.
Although it is a bit late, I would like to share my observation.

The noise is significant in high sensitivity headphones or balance armature headphones
It is horrible with ATH-IM02, but can hardly be heard with IM50 or E40

The noise severely affects quiet and single tone sounds, such as the piano track below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNbbLDy94yg

There are a lot of Z5 series devices that have the headphone jack broken within a few months, including mine
I guess it is a problem in hardware design, and I guess Sony have changed the design in the new headphone jack parts
The problem is worsen with the new headphone jack.

Finally, there are a few temporary solution.
First, turn DSEE HX on.  It reduces the noise by ~80%
But it means that you can't use other audio effect.

Second, if you have bought Poweramp, install beta version.
Go to setting > Sound > Output, turn on Hi-Res output
the noise reduction is close to DSEE, but you can still change audio effects

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #383 of 407
I've been using the Z5 for nearly a year and the headphone jack still works fine. Sometimes it will buzz with some headphones when it's spun around but re-inserting it always fixes it. I tried the IM04 at AT's showroom with my Z5 last year - there was an awful crackling distortion at maximum volume, and it still wasn't even loud enough... My IM70 sounds fine - hisses less than my HTC Butterfly s (its headphone jack broke after I dropped it on soft carpet with a headphone plugged in).

When music isn't playing on the Z5, however, there is often a crackling hiss that is more on the right side- it seems to happen if I open Spotify. This was really obvious with headphones using TRS 3.5mm plugs, when I press play (just a split-second before the song actually plays) and not as noticeable if you have a TRRS plug (any headphone with a microphone or in-line remote). It was a lot worse with earlier firmware, and the phone would sometimes play a split-second of music through the speakers if you unplugged it with music playing.

Has anyone tried rooting and changing the headphone output voltage?

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #384 of 407
  Sold my Z5 compact as I can't bear the hissing noise.
Although it is a bit late, I would like to share my observation.

The noise is significant in high sensitivity headphones or balance armature headphones

I use bluetooth / LDAC exclusively and the sound quality is very good with no hissing noise whatsoever...not to mention no wires! :)

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #385 of 407
For those still wondering the OS updates fixed the bluetooth skipping at least on my standard Z5

Today I ordered a FiiO K1 DAC for my Z5 as the headphone jack is starting to show serious wear. I hope it won't be a step down from the Fiio E11K amplifier's sound.

Today my Sony XBA-40's cord died as well. Back the XBA-3 i kept in reserve while I figure out if I can repair the others :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #386 of 407
  For those still wondering the OS updates fixed the bluetooth skipping at least on my standard Z5

Today I ordered a FiiO K1 DAC for my Z5 as the headphone jack is starting to show serious wear. I hope it won't be a step down from the Fiio E11K amplifier's sound.

Today my Sony XBA-40's cord died as well. Back the XBA-3 i kept in reserve while I figure out if I can repair the others :frowning2:

When my XBA-4 shorted out on the right side I was able to fix them, you just need to be really patient because those soldering points are really small

Where did the cable break, at the jack or at the IEM?

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #388 of 407

I believe the break is near the jack under the thingy that stops the cable from bending too much. I'll look around if I can find a tutorial or tips to do this but I'd rather have a pro do it

I do those kinds of repairs myself. It's not that hard, although you'll have to replace the jack for a new one because you can't reuse the old one. If you decide to try it yourself you'll probably spend some $20-30 USD at most in parts and tools (if you buy cheap/inexpensive tools), or a lot more if you choose to go for a high-end jack.

You should give it a try, it can be fun to learn a new skill

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #389 of 407
I do those kinds of repairs myself. It's not that hard, although you'll have to replace the jack for a new one because you can't reuse the old one. If you decide to try it yourself you'll probably spend some $20-30 USD at most in parts and tools (if you buy cheap/inexpensive tools), or a lot more if you choose to go for a high-end jack.

You should give it a try, it can be fun to learn a new skill

I should be able to do it myself I studied electronics at school. I don't have anything tho can you point me a kit I can buy on amazon for example? Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back