Sony MDR-1000X
Apr 24, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #1,966 of 2,709
Hey guys kind of new here.. Recently bought mdr1000x .. Wasn't aware of the creaking noise issue nor the static which comes during the noise cancellation ..

I'm in no state to return the product again i left the States... What are the solutions to these problems if any? I feel like a fool spending so much on a cheap product like this

I'm actually quite disappointed in quality control as well. This will be my ideal headset if it weren't for those issue. My experience goes as this.
1st unit = unbalanced channel.
2nd unit = unbalanced channel with slightly creaking noise.
3rd unit = finally sounds fine but the dam padding on the right cup and the bottom said is clearly too thin compared to left side. Issue? Slight tilt of heard to right or left create hole and noticeable semi loud noise creep in. Ruining the music and NC.

In the end. I sold it out. 3 unit of continuous issue is not ideal for the price : /

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #1,967 of 2,709
Hey guys kind of new here.. Recently bought mdr1000x .. Wasn't aware of the creaking noise issue nor the static which comes during the noise cancellation ..

I'm in no state to return the product again i left the States... What are the solutions to these problems if any? I feel like a fool spending so much on a cheap product like this

Hmm, seems like some users should gather on a separate forum thread and discuss these common issues they are facing and relay it to Sony, as I suspect there are some batches of 1000x that have certain issues. 

I own the 1000x and also a friend of mine. No creaking what soever while wearing it and listenting to music, but i've heard this before, seems to be some units out there with some drivers. Since I don't have it and never heard of it on any of this product's reviews, this must be a production line failure for a number of unlucky owners. 

Regarding the static - I don't know if you ever used a noise canceling headphone - I have, quite a few, and the 1000x has the quietest typical NC "hiss" of all the headphones I tested. The QC35 is also very quiet in this department. So unless it's an unreasonable loud hiss/static noise, and it's just a very subtle hiss that can only barely be heard when in a quiet environment when no music is playing, it might also be related to the posibly faulty drivers.

From my experience, and I've got an in-depth review a few posts back, the 1000x should have none of these issues, and has a superb sound both for wireless, and especially when using it wired.

That being said, Sony offers international warranty. So you should check where is Sony's service center in the country you currently reside, and go there (with the warranty and other acquirement documents). They should exchange it. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,968 of 2,709

Hmm, seems like some users should gather on a separate forum thread and discuss these common issues they are facing and relay it to Sony, as I suspect there are some batches of 1000x that have certain issues. 

I own the 1000x and also a friend of mine. No creaking what soever while wearing it and listenting to music, but i've heard this before, seems to be some units out there with some drivers. Since I don't have it and never heard of it on any of this product's reviews, this must be a production line failure for a number of unlucky owners. 

Regarding the static - I don't know if you ever used a noise canceling headphone - I have, quite a few, and the 1000x has the quietest typical NC "hiss" of all the headphones I tested. The QC35 is also very quiet in this department. So unless it's an unreasonable loud hiss/static noise, and it's just a very subtle hiss that can only barely be heard when in a quiet environment when no music is playing, it might also be related to the posibly faulty drivers.

From my experience, and I've got an in-depth review a few posts back, the 1000x should have none of these issues, and has a superb sound both for wireless, and especially when using it wired.

That being said, Sony offers international warranty. So you should check where is Sony's service center in the country you currently reside, and go there (with the warranty and other acquirement documents). They should exchange it. 

I've had mine a few weeks now, and no creaking symptoms/signs whatsoever.
I think the hinges that open out the ear-cups are obviously weak points structurally, but I'd imagine I'd have to be pretty ham-fisted and force them, to cause the sort of damage that has been reported.
I'm personally very happy with the build quality, and I can't relate to/understand posts that criticise this aspect of the 1000X's.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,969 of 2,709
  I've had mine a few weeks now, and no creaking symptoms/signs whatsoever.
I think the hinges that open out the ear-cups are obviously weak points structurally, but I'd imagine I'd have to be pretty ham-fisted and force them, to cause the sort of damage that has been reported.
I'm personally very happy with the build quality, and I can't relate to/understand posts that criticise this aspect of the 1000X's.

I thought that the creaking noise is related to the actual sound/drivers. If so, definitely faulty drivers. If it's from the mechanism - it should still be considered a factory defect if it's that loud. 

All headphones that have a lot of hinges and positional adjustments, like the 1000x, are bound to have SOME creaking, but in the case of my 1As and 1000Xs, it's rather minimal, and can easily be solved by spraying a bit of bicycle or door anti creaking-solution in the hinges. Even vaseline. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #1,970 of 2,709
My only issues with the Sonys are:
1. bluetooth device connectivity (Bose allowing 2 devices to be connected simultaneously was great)
2. bluetooth range (I find it to be 5m or so before it cuts out without a wall)
3. battery (4hrs charging and 20 hours listening is not ideal)
4. cheap construction and materials

Overall though these are much better to my ears than the Bose QC35s and I'm very happy with these. 

Sound and noise cancelling are superb. To my ears these are not far away from the AT M50x so they're pricy for the sound but given they're wireless it is a great deal. 

I haven't noticed the issues regarding creaking and they're not more comfortable than the Bose but at least on par. 

Had these for 3-4 months now. I am wondering what is down the pipeline for wireless NC over-ear headphones that will be better than the 1000X's? 

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #1,971 of 2,709
  My only issues with the Sonys are:
1. bluetooth device connectivity (Bose allowing 2 devices to be connected simultaneously was great)
2. bluetooth range (I find it to be 5m or so before it cuts out without a wall)
3. battery (4hrs charging and 20 hours listening is not ideal)
4. cheap construction and materials

Overall though these are much better to my ears than the Bose QC35s and I'm very happy with these. 

Sound and noise cancelling are superb. To my ears these are not far away from the AT M50x so they're pricy for the sound but given they're wireless it is a great deal. 

I haven't noticed the issues regarding creaking and they're not more comfortable than the Bose but at least on par. 

Had these for 3-4 months now. I am wondering what is down the pipeline for wireless NC over-ear headphones that will be better than the 1000X's? 

I think there will be subtle changes, like Aptx HD, which is now available only on the new (and unattainable) Audio Technica BT headphones. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #1,972 of 2,709
I recently bought these and would love to be able to get a partially coiled cable for them (similar to the one for the Marshall Monitor) for when i use them in wired mode. Any suggestions especially given their 3.5mm port on the earcup is a little recessed?

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,973 of 2,709
  I think there will be subtle changes, like Aptx HD, which is now available only on the new (and unattainable) Audio Technica BT headphones. 

Aptx HD is actually lower quality than what the 1000X has, which is LDAC. Aptx HD can receive/send up to 570 KB/s (vs about 330kb/s for standard Aptx), while LDAC is rated at up to 990 kb/s (close to CD quality). Howver you do need an LDAC /APTX HD codec on both receiving and sending devices. These will come through software updates, for example Sony has worked with Google to bring LDAC as standard (AOSP code-embedded) with the Android O update.  

As far as sound, it's subjective. A previous post compared them to ATH M50x, for me they dont' sound likethat all, far superior and different signature. But again, sound signature is VERY subjective. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,974 of 2,709
  Aptx HD is actually lower quality than what the 1000X has, which is LDAC. Aptx HD can receive/send up to 570 KB/s (vs about 330kb/s for standard Aptx), while LDAC is rated at up to 990 kb/s (close to CD quality). Howver you do need an LDAC /APTX HD codec on both receiving and sending devices. These will come through software updates, for example Sony has worked with Google to bring LDAC as standard (AOSP code-embedded) with the Android O update.  

As far as sound, it's subjective. A previous post compared them to ATH M50x, for me they dont' sound likethat all, far superior and different signature. But again, sound signature is VERY subjective. 

Well than I'll wait for the O update on my LG V20 to hear the LDAC.
For now I don't really hear any big changes in sound quality between wired vs BT or even between regular vs hi res files.
Which leads me to my question, for those who have experience with a number of headphones - Where would you rank the 1000x, based only on sound quality? 
and also, which outdoor headphones would you recommend if you want to go a step forward in sound quality? regardless of NC&BT features. 

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #1,975 of 2,709
For now I don't really hear any big changes in sound quality between wired vs BT or even between regular vs hi res files.
Which leads me to my question, for those who have experience with a number of headphones - Where would you rank the 1000x, based only on sound quality?
and also, which outdoor headphones would you recommend if you want to go a step forward in sound quality? regardless of NC&BT features.

even if google implement ldac coding for future versions of android, ldac requires actual hardware, thus, it's very unlikely existing non sony phones implement ldac, especially lg as they have rival qualcomm aptx hd, but future lg such as v30 may have ldac if they pay the licence for the hardware from sony, it's also noted that bluetooth 5.0 is another rival standard and i presume apple may release their HD wireless after acquiring beats

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,976 of 2,709
i had a listen on my friends mdr-1000x via my sony nw-zx100 in ldac and aptx mode for around 30 minutes, very noticeable difference, ldac simply don't sound compress and very close to wired, soundstage is massive and it's probably the best wireless headphones at the moment, on aptx mode still decent, but sound a bit compressed

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #1,977 of 2,709
I've had the 1000x for a few days and are my first NC cans and here are my thoughts on it:
  • NC is amazing. Cannot hear a whole crowd with these. Matches up to the QC35 pretty well
  • Slight creaking problem, but it's non-existent when I take my glasses off. In general it's bearable anyways.
  • Almost as comfortable as the QC35, ear cups just get a little bit hot.
  • Charging takes way too long. But then battery life has been longer than expected - almost 30 hours on first use
  • Touch features are great, kinda wish there was an option like with u-Jays wireless to touch lock but it's not as cumbersome as I've read online
  • Wired SQ isn't too bad, even when powered off. Have been using it wired when at home and wireless when going out
  • Wireless sound quality is great, not the best, but probably the best one with NC right now
I'm probably gonna keep these and will use as my dailies here on out and saving them for when I travel a lot later this year. I don't think I can go out without NC anymore :L3000:

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,978 of 2,709
even if google implement ldac coding for future versions of android, ldac requires actual hardware, thus, it's very unlikely existing non sony phones implement ldac, especially lg as they have rival qualcomm aptx hd, but future lg such as v30 may have ldac if they pay the licence for the hardware from sony, it's also noted that bluetooth 5.0 is another rival standard and i presume apple may release their HD wireless after acquiring beats

Uhm, I've got to correct you on that. LDAC does NOT need any kind of dedicated hardware, just like Qualcomm's AptX. It's just a codec, like any other BT codec. That's why it's even baked into Android O ASOP. The only "hardware" necessary is bt 4.0 and up.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #1,979 of 2,709

Well, I've posted a more in-depth review a few pages back with comparison, but here's my take, in short.

You should look at these headphones if you're looking for portable use. That means on-the-go headphones (wired or not) with smartphone call capabilities.

This is what I was searching for. I first proceeded in testing them against all the high end bt headphones at the headphone store I was at. ATH MSR7 bt, Momentum 2.0, PCX550s, P7 wireless, QC 35, ABN100. In short, I prefered 1000x sound over all of the above mentioned. In a bit of detail, they are clearly superior from all aspects over all of these (for example, QC35 sounds muffled, PCX550 and ATH try to kill your eardrums with the highs, Momentum 2.0 sound a bit muffled, ABN100 sound similar but not as precise or wide), except of the P7 wireless, which sounded similar, maybe a bit MORE V-shaped. But the P7s are really heavy and have no NC, for the same money.

I then proceeded in trying out a more audiophile portable setup: Sony MDR 1A (i owned a pair) + Dragonfly RED. Surprisingly, besides being 30-40% louder at max output than what the 1000x can, both wired and wireless (connected to my Xperia XZ), the gains in clarity and separation were not worth sacrificing NC, wireless, phone and music controls, and especially battery, since the Dragonfly RED drains your phone's battery quite badly. It obviously sounded better, but by a surprisingly small margin.

Wired vs Wireless - depends on the source. The XZ has great wired sound quality, but I found that when used Wireless on LDAC (which basically means all the amplification and DAC work is done by the 1000x) it sounded a bit more precise and wide, which means that the 1000X has a really good DAC inside. We already know it has an excellent hi-res amp (S-MASTER HX) and it upscales mp3 files (DSEE HX), so all of these technologies, together with the adaptive NC (which means that if you're in a more quiet envirnoment, the NC dials back to favor sound quality as much as possible, since NC tends to infringe on certain extreme low and high frequencies) made them, to my ears, after a thorough round of 3 hours of headphone-testing, the best wireless sounding headphones in terms of detail and soundstage, together with the P7.

So if you want the BEST possible quality in a headphone that ticks all the portable listening boxes, and you don't want to carry an amp or dac connected to your device and wires, get the 1000x or the P7. Test them out. Unfortunately P7 doesn't have NC.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,980 of 2,709
Uhm, I've got to correct you on that. LDAC does NOT need any kind of dedicated hardware, just like Qualcomm's AptX. It's just a codec, like any other BT codec. That's why it's even baked into Android O ASOP. The only "hardware" necessary is bt 4.0 and up.
On the receiver side (headphone or speaker), it is effectively necessary to have dedicated hardware. A manufacturer will not implement codecs but will purchase a Bluetooth chip with codecs already integrated (aptX, aptX HD, LDAC). For example, if you were building a headphone you would buy a Bluetooth chip with aptX like this or with aptX HD like this, and you will have to pay Qualcomm and/or Sony licensing fees. Qualcomm has a huge marketing advantage to promote aptX HD because so many manufacturers are already licensing aptX.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back