Sony MDR-1000X
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,951 of 2,709
I can't really rate how much clearer the Bose is when listening to people talk to me. Was it night and day? No. Was it noticeable to my ears? Absolutely. Now according to my wife, when listening to me speak between the two, it was night and day. Per her ears, I sounded much clearer to her using the Bose

Yeah that helps to know. Sounds like the Bose is what I want if I'll be taking a lot of calls, thank you once again.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #1,952 of 2,709
Just ordered a pair of these from Amazon after seeing many good reviews, and then I noticed some negative reviews mentioning some hairline cracks at the hinges where the headphones fold. After doing a search, I've seen some fellow Head-Fiers mention it here, but to get a more current idea of how rampant the problem is, I'd like to ask if any more of you have had that issue come up lately?

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #1,953 of 2,709
Not to be challenging mate, but I have no idea why you would say this? The Blue stuff always turns out to be quite good, but never class leading and I don't see anything listed that would suggest it will mop the floor with the 1000X. Now depending on the tuning you may prefer it, that is fine, but nobody has heard the Satellite as of yet and I think Sony has enough audio engineering history behind them to stack up against Blue so it isn't even like there is a reason to believe that Blue has more audio chops. I fully expect this to be a very nice headphone, and maybe it will be class leading, but there is no mopping of any floor just yet, although my kitchen floor does look like it could use a good scrub so perhaps a floor will get mopped :D .

Noise cancelling technology is complicated too. Bose has been class leading for what is it now, a decade? Sony now just caught up or surpassed them slightly. Sennheiser has been in the noise cancelling headphone market for several years and they haven't been able to catch up to Bose or Sony now as far as ANC technology.

I would be very surprised for a newcomer to top current tech from Bose or Sony.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #1,954 of 2,709
Amazon.de is selling these now @ 299,90 EUR! I just grabbed very good condition warehouse deal @ 270€.

It's been hell of a Sony month... Z1R, ZH1ES, WM1Z and now this.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,955 of 2,709
Just ordered a pair of these from Amazon after seeing many good reviews, and then I noticed some negative reviews mentioning some hairline cracks at the hinges where the headphones fold. After doing a search, I've seen some fellow Head-Fiers mention it here, but to get a more current idea of how rampant the problem is, I'd like to ask if any more of you have had that issue come up lately?

After having and enjoying these since November, I was surprised to see a complete split across the headband above the hinge on one side. I had no idea it was a known issue. I returned them to John Lewis yesterday and after arguing that I didn't want a repair, they agreed to an exchange. My faulty ones were black and the replacement is beige (they were out of black) - I'm not sure if the problem is linked to one finish more than the other?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,956 of 2,709
After having and enjoying these since November, I was surprised to see a complete split across the headband above the hinge on one side. I had no idea it was a known issue. I returned them to John Lewis yesterday and after arguing that I didn't want a repair, they agreed to an exchange. My faulty ones were black and the replacement is beige (they were out of black) - I'm not sure if the problem is linked to one finish more than the other?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I don't really think the color would have anything to do with the issue, as they should be made with the same type of plastic. Personally I think it's just a design oversight in which they should have used metal at that hinge area instead of plastic. I remember a similar having a similar issue with Sony's PS3 Pulse Elite Headset back in the day, where the build quality overall was amazing but the area leading down to the earcups was basically just a thin layer of plastic and susceptible to hairline cracks, that eventually completely broke off. It's a shame that Sony didn't learn from that. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #1,957 of 2,709
I'm not sure there has been enough reporting of this breakage to call it a design problem yet. A few cases isn't enough, but we will have to wait and see. There are people who have had this headphone for a long time now so if they aren't having the issue maybe it is as much bad luck as anything?

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,958 of 2,709
I got my MDR-1000x a few days ago.
They are my first serious over ear hadphones, so I have no past referense.
They sound great, but I'll need to hear some more headphones to know where to rank them.

I also have the LG V20, so I did some tests to see if there's any difference between the wired and wireless connection. or with the quad DAC switched on/off (wired of course). I have to say that I was very dissaponted with the DAC. I do hear some difference when it's on, but its a very subtle change, and it had me thinking "what was all that fuss about?". My Main reason to go with the V20 was the DAC and for now, it does not deliver. mabye other headphones will get more from the DAC. 

I tested different files (mp3, flac, dsd, 24/96) with different music players (stock player, poweramp alpha 703 without EQ, neutron & local srteaming services that streams mp3 at 192kbs). It all sounds the same to me. Not that it sounded bad, but I didn't notice any difference between regular mp3 and Hi Res files, or between wired and BT. 

The NC is pretty awesome, and now that I know that there's no sound difference between wired and BT, I will definitely use them with BT.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,959 of 2,709

The NC is pretty awesome, and now that I know that there's no sound difference between wired and BT, I will definitely use them with BT.

Indeed, sometimes you would swear the differences are night and day the way some people go on when often at best differences are fairly subtle.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,960 of 2,709

I also have the LG V20, so I did some tests to see if there's any difference between the wired and wireless connection. or with the quad DAC switched on/off (wired of course). I have to say that I was very dissaponted with the DAC. I do hear some difference when it's on, but its a very subtle change, and it had me thinking "what was all that fuss about?". My Main reason to go with the V20 was the DAC and for now, it does not deliver. mabye other headphones will get more from the DAC. 

Everything you wanted to know and much more about the quad DAC

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

"The signals from each DAC path adds together but noise does not, resulting in higher signal with less increase in noise. Each doubling of converters results in half the decimation noise – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG"

Despite the name, a Quad DAC design isn’t necessarily better than everything else on the market right now, as there are a huge range of potential designs out there, each with their own pros and cons. That said, the ES9218 certainly looks to be a very promising component.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #1,961 of 2,709
  a Quad DAC design isn’t necessarily better than everything else on the market right now.

Everything else, meaning other smartphones or other dedicated DAC's? I'm guessing that he means other DAC's.
Anyway, if this is subtle change in sound quality is all the difference between the ES9218 DAC and the snapdragon chip then it's very disappointing news.  
I was expecting a more dramatic change in sound quality. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,962 of 2,709

Everything else, meaning other smartphones or other dedicated DAC's? I'm guessing that he means other DAC's.
Anyway, if this is subtle change in sound quality is all the difference between the ES9218 DAC and the snapdragon chip then it's very disappointing news.  
I was expecting a more dramatic change in sound quality. 

The Snapdragon SoC isn't normally used as a DAC, it only performs a limited role in the audio processing and still requires a dedicated DAC chip to output to, at least in the vast majority of cases. If you look at cell phone teardowns online you will see that even when the phone has a newer Snapdragon CPU, they still use a separate DAC chip as well. I think it is just easier for the phone companies to do this rather than do all the complicated audio processing coding that would be required to make the audio on the Snapdragon SoC work as a DAC.

All capable DAC chips these days can yield pretty decent performance in reality. I'm not saying there aren't differences in the quality possible, or in the implementations of the same chip in different designs, but the differences aren't typically night and day the way people seem to suggest. There have been some blind tests done when the differences essentially are almost undetectable. Recently I was reading in the X5III thread I believe from somebody who used the Mojo I think as a DAC and compared in to his Schiit Yiggy and thought the performance was almost identical.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #1,963 of 2,709
  The Snapdragon SoC isn't normally used as a DAC, it only performs a limited role in the audio processing and still requires a dedicated DAC chip to output to, at least in the vast majority of cases. If you look at cell phone teardowns online you will see that even when the phone has a newer Snapdragon CPU, they still use a separate DAC chip as well. I think it is just easier for the phone companies to do this rather than do all the complicated audio processing coding that would be required to make the audio on the Snapdragon SoC work as a DAC.

All capable DAC chips these days can yield pretty decent performance in reality. I'm not saying there aren't differences in the quality possible, or in the implementations of the same chip in different designs, but the differences aren't typically night and day the way people seem to suggest. There have been some blind tests done when the differences essentially are almost undetectable. Recently I was reading in the X5III thread I believe from somebody who used the Mojo I think as a DAC and compared in to his Schiit Yiggy and thought the performance was almost identical.

So you're basically saying that even when I switch off the DAC option on my V20, the phone still uses the DAC?! 
blink.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #1,964 of 2,709
  So you're basically saying that even when I switch off the DAC option on my V20, the phone still uses the DAC?! 
blink.gif

I'm not sure exactly, and as I said, there could be different implementations going on, but if you research yourself I think you will find information that confirms much of what I was saying. I'm sure there are exceptions. It is also possible that LG has put the time into also programing for the SoC to act as a DAC, but that seems odd. So what does that turn off option mean anyway? Does LG say that you can defeat the audiophile DAC in favour of some onboard SoC audio? Seems odd to provide that.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,965 of 2,709
Hey guys kind of new here.. Recently bought mdr1000x .. Wasn't aware of the creaking noise issue nor the static which comes during the noise cancellation ..

I'm in no state to return the product again i left the States... What are the solutions to these problems if any? I feel like a fool spending so much on a cheap product like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back