Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jun 17, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,957 of 6,080
How do I setup AK70 with KSE1500 because I've just got the Shure today?
Congratulations!

Most likely the DA Converter in your AK70 is better than the one in the Shure so I would just use line-out from AK in to the Shure.

It takes a few hours to get used to the sound of the KSE1500. At first I was not impressed. Came from bass SE846. But after a few hours I LOVED the 1500. No fatigue, perfect fit in my ears etc.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2,960 of 6,080
Just tried KSE 1500 for the first time with my Metrum Acoustics Adagio (via line in).

Wooooooooooooooo ... absolutely unreal how much better this sounds in direct (and unfair) comparison to the built-in DAC. Width of soundstage (+++), definition of instruments (raise and decay of bass), timbre of voices, overall balance and cohesion, ...
The difference is bigger than using e.g. Shure 846 (which I still like) vs. KSE 1500.
Recommendation: Use the KSE 1500 with the best external DAC available - Hugo 2, AK SP1000, ... - the built-in KSE 1500 DAC is maybe an option when the alternative is "no sound", but in almost any other scenario I am now probably forever spoiled :wink:

FWIW, in this constellation (best available DAC), the KSE 1500 becomes a very serious competitor for TOTL full size over-ear headphones (including Focal Utopia), including bass quality (not quantity, obviously). I just plugged in the KSE 1500 as an experiment (otherwise have been using them mobile with NW-ZX2), in the last four hours have not felt any desire to switch to anything else, rather flipping through my library and listening to stuff that I hadn't touched in ages. No disappointments!

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #2,961 of 6,080
Just tried KSE 1500 for the first time with my Metrum Acoustics Adagio (via line in).

Wooooooooooooooo ... absolutely unreal how much better this sounds in direct (and unfair) comparison to the built-in DAC. Width of soundstage (+++), definition of instruments (raise and decay of bass), timbre of voices, overall balance and cohesion, ...
The difference is bigger than using e.g. Shure 846 (which I still like) vs. KSE 1500.
Recommendation: Use the KSE 1500 with the best external DAC available - Hugo 2, AK SP1000, ... - the built-in KSE 1500 DAC is maybe an option when the alternative is "no sound", but in almost any other scenario I am now probably forever spoiled :wink:

FWIW, in this constellation (best available DAC), the KSE 1500 becomes a very serious competitor for TOTL full size over-ear headphones (including Focal Utopia), including bass quality (not quantity, obviously). I just plugged in the KSE 1500 as an experiment (otherwise have been using them mobile with NW-ZX2), in the last four hours have not felt any desire to switch to anything else, rather flipping through my library and listening to stuff that I hadn't touched in ages. No disappointments!

Agree 100%. During our tests in MUNICH, SP1000 + KSE1500 sounded unreal ! uncreadible precision while remaining very musical !

IMG_3817.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,963 of 6,080
Nice~~~

Curious... how does sp1000 sound without the kse, compared to ak380 which I think I see in the picture behind the kse? Considering upgrading my ak380. Thanks in advance.

During MUNICH High-End, with the same KSE1500, we compared A/B the AK380 against and the SP1000 using our own music, and we were (we were 2 testers) booth amazed by the improvement that the SP1000 bring: much more details than the AK380 (standard version, NO SS or Cu) while remaining very very musical. We asked if we could by the SP100 immediatly but unfortunatly it was only demo units for the show.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,965 of 6,080
I can't imagine Shure redesigning the earpieces and cable of the KSE1500. But, I can imagine them redesigning the DAC/amp. Perhaps just offering the amp section in a slimmer style that can be physically attached to a cover of a smartphone or back of a DAP....

I agree 100%

Jun 20, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,966 of 6,080
Jun 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,967 of 6,080
Did he really use an Iphone as source? Not that it's a horrible idea but not the source for absolute opinions on a device like this, even dig in. All reports are that the Shure is best analog in from a top player etc. I agree about the extra amp to haul around. It's the only reason I don't own these.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,969 of 6,080
I finally got to try the Utopia today, and... I actually preferred the KSE1500. Am I crazy?

I'm not saying the KSE are better, I'm just saying that's what I preferred. And I realize that it takes time to adjust to the sound of a new headphone, so that's maybe part of it.

I think I liked the sound of the LCD-4 more than the Utopia (didn't get to A/B them, but just going from recollection), so I guess I just prefer the electrostat or planar sound over dynamic -- even amazing dynamics like the Utopia. At any rate, listening to the Utopia did make me feel better about what I spent on the KSE1500.

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,970 of 6,080
I finally got to try the Utopia today, and... I actually preferred the KSE1500. Am I crazy?

I'm not saying the KSE are better, I'm just saying that's what I preferred. And I realize that it takes time to adjust to the sound of a new headphone, so that's maybe part of it.

I think I liked the sound of the LCD-4 more than the Utopia (didn't get to A/B them, but just going from recollection), so I guess I just prefer the electrostat or planar sound over dynamic -- even amazing dynamics like the Utopia. At any rate, listening to the Utopia did make me feel better about what I spent on the KSE1500.

no, not Crazy. My friend who has a KSE1500 and a HE1000 V2 told me, that even at home, he sometime prefers to use the KSE1500 instead of his HE1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back