Should I get a DAC?
May 16, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 19
Ok now I'm confused. You question was "Should I get a Dac" . A Dac is a Digital to Analog Converter.

Yes, at first that is what I believe I wanted. My goal was for this not to be used with my speaker system, but only my headphones.

As I should have said in the OP, I am a novice when it comes to audio, but have a strong PC background.

A USB port is also for "receiving sound"... You can use either the USB or SPDIF port as both of them uses a digital signals that need to be turned into an analog signal so your headphone can interpret it into sound. The reason we told you to use the SPDIF port is because you said you wanted to keep your DSP features. If you use the USB on your motherboard and not the SPDIF off your soundcard you lose the DSP that your soundcard provides.

USB carries digital audio and power to the Modi2. On the Modi2 Uber it only receives digital audio since its board gets its power from the AC power supply that comes with it.

I understand that now, I was just ensuring that the USB port was not the primary input for the sound. I fully expect to use the SPDIF.

Thank you to all!

May 16, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #17 of 19
Ok then do you have a budget in mind?

May 22, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 19
If you like it it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back