Shanling M2 DAP
May 13, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #1,291 of 1,348
Shanling suggested the same thing. Well I called Amazon about and told them that I have been having nothing but trouble with it and they suggested going to Shanling. I contacted Shanling and suggested I ship it back, but i told them that I would not spend another dime on the unit and that I was not going to pay to ship it back. They asked Where I was located and for my e-mail address and that's where we stand. That was a couple of days ago. Honestly I don't think I even have 70 hrs of actual listening with the M2. Honestly i don't see myself buying any of their products ever again. There are just too many companies willing to do right by their customers and i don't believe Shanling is one of them. By the way the Output impedance is 4.6 Ohms for the M2. They did tell me that. I suggested that they post it to the forum, but i haven't seen it yet.

Pretty sure @Shanling will have your back, bro :wink:

And the output impedance isn't a secret. It's been discussed. If I recall, you're a fan of high impedance earbuds, correct? If so, M2's output impedance shouldn't negatively impact you.

May 13, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #1,293 of 1,348
All I could find when searching for the output Impedance was 12 Ohms. I do have some Low impedance IEM's like the A83's and the KS3. Hopefully the P1 takes care of that.

I can certainly put the output impedance into the first post if that would help. That's easy.

Do you notice an appreciable difference with those IEM? I ask because I recorded frequency response curves for M2s, which has virtually the same output impedance, with a few hybrid and multi-BA IEM. The difference was negligible.

Where I've confirmed a noticeable difference was with sources with 10+ Ohm output impedance. I could easily hear the impact on frequency response, which was easily detected with comparative measurements.

May 13, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,294 of 1,348
I can certainly put the output impedance into the first post if that would help. That's easy.

Do you notice an appreciable difference with those IEM? I ask because I recorded frequency response curves for M2s, which has virtually the same output impedance, with a few hybrid and multi-BA IEM. The difference was negligible.

Where I've confirmed a noticeable difference was with sources with 10+ Ohm output impedance. I could easily hear the impact on frequency response, which was easily detected with comparative measurements.
It wouldn't be a bad idea.

The A83's don't work on the Shanling like they should, but I thought the KS3's (18Ohm 98 db sensitivity) sounded good.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,295 of 1,348
I know we all get coddled by super easy return policies with vendors like Amazon when Amazon itself is the vendor. But my experience is that once items have gone out of warranty, even Amazon does not help out when it comes to warranty service. And invariably some of my personal electronics do fail and shipping of the item for repair is required. Its just a fact of life; and also invariably the buyer not the vendor pays return shipping. That is just how it is for all vendors, not just Shanling. So if that is your issue, sorry but I can't generate much sympathy on that point.

May 13, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,296 of 1,348
I know we all get coddled by super easy return policies with vendors like Amazon when Amazon itself is the vendor. But my experience is that once items have gone out of warranty, even Amazon does not help out when it comes to warranty service. And invariably some of my personal electronics do fail and shipping of the item for repair is required. Its just a fact of life; and also invariably the buyer not the vendor pays return shipping. That is just how it is for all vendors, not just Shanling. So if that is your issue, sorry but I can't generate much sympathy on that point.
First of all I haven't even had this for a year and I'm assuming it's under warranty. Second this has been problematic from the get go and it was my second unit, the first had a crooked screen and other cosmetic issues. I stuck with it, waiting for firmware releases, in hopes for a fix. Third I'm not looking for sympathy from you, but thanks for the consideration.
:thumbsup:

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,303 of 1,348
The Rockbox placeholder indicated that it shares a firmware and design commonality with the FIIO X1 II.

My only beef that the unit seems to be end of life for firmware although there are some bugs I'd like fixed. Rockbox would likely fix those issues.

I recently went back to 1.1. One forum participant thought that firmwares 1.x had a more analog sound; and a better battery bar indicator (percentages). The album artwork is display is poor, however.

So far 1.1 ain't bad.

I think the sound signature of the original M2 is very good and also different (less glossy if that is a "thing") than the M2S and having both around is my version of comfort food.

Actually I still have the M1 as I think its really cute. The M2S is sort of the M1 on steroids, so I might change my mind on that.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,304 of 1,348
The Rockbox placeholder indicated that it shares a firmware and design commonality with the FIIO X1 II.

My only beef that the unit seems to be end of life for firmware although there are some bugs I'd like fixed. Rockbox would likely fix those issues.

I recently went back to 1.1. One forum participant thought that firmwares 1.x had a more analog sound; and a better battery bar indicator (percentages). The album artwork is display is poor, however.

So far 1.1 ain't bad.

I think the sound signature of the original M2 is very good and also different (less glossy if that is a "thing") than the M2S and having both around is my version of comfort food.

Actually I still have the M1 as I think its really cute. The M2S is sort of the M1 on steroids, so I might change my mind on that.
Most $100+ chinese players use the same SoC.
If one of them gets a port, others may too.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,305 of 1,348
I recently got myself a projector and now I am wondering whether I could use my M2 as a DAC for watching concerts. There is a SPDIF 1 and an AUX out. I guess quality-wise the former would be preferable, right? Is there any way I can connect my S2 to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back