Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #3,316 of 4,141
First time buyers were really lucky to get it at an amazing price- $199 now that the price will be increased to $249.
With the price increase and also now at 7,500 units, I think it'll take more than a couple of hours for it to be sold out :)

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #3,317 of 4,141
First time buyers were really lucky to get it at an amazing price- $199 now that the price will be increased to $249.
With the price increase and also now at 7,500 units, I think it'll take more than a couple of hours for it to be sold out :)
Not if they are ready for it this time. I bet if they could have handled it it would have been done in about 15 to 20 minutes as I was on for the first second of the drop and my serial number is in the 2400's.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #3,318 of 4,141
Anyone know if they charge your card when it ships or right away?
Effectively they charge right away. The way Massdrop works is that they charge when the drop "ends" (they stop taking orders). Usually a drop is open for 1-2 weeks, but it ends early if they fulfill the maximum number.

Should I buy this or the Audeze Sine?
Depends on what type of headphone you are looking for. The two are very different.

HD-6XX: open back, over-ear, dynamic driver, requires more amplification (300 ohm), really not portable

Sine: closed back, on-ear, planar driver, requires less amplification (20 ohm), much more suitable for portable use (more compact and folds flat)

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #3,319 of 4,141
Effectively they charge right away. The way Massdrop works is that they charge when the drop "ends" (they stop taking orders). Usually a drop is open for 1-2 weeks, but it ends early if they fulfill the maximum number.

Depends on what type of headphone you are looking for. The two are very different.

HD-6XX: open back, over-ear, dynamic driver, requires more amplification (300 ohm), really not portable

Sine: closed back, on-ear, planar driver, requires less amplification (20 ohm), much more suitable for portable use (more compact and folds flat)

I have the ATH-AD700 which has a similar FR and soundstage without the need for an amp. Any idea if the difference will be that big between those two headphones? Don't need portability but looking for the best sound.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #3,320 of 4,141
Not if they are ready for it this time. I bet if they could have handled it it would have been done in about 15 to 20 minutes as I was on for the first second of the drop and my serial number is in the 2400's.

I'm not that optimistic as you lol. Don't forget the delivery date this time is 6 months after the drop:
All units sold are expected to be delivered domestically by December 25th.

Many might not be that patient since BF sales could potentially bring the HD650 price down closer and ship 1-2 months faster than MD too.

Furthermore, the countries availability for this drop is now much more limited. I noticed they won't be shipping to any Asian countries.
Thank goodness I got mine in the last drop as my country is excluded in this drop this time..

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #3,321 of 4,141
Not in the least. It's a largely cosmetically customized HD650. One of the most enduring and iconic headphones of all time.

I'd have joined this drop if I hadn't just bought a new set of 650s. I like the Massdrop color better than the stock 650.

I might have, too, had I not also just literally bought a new set of 650's for $318 (+tax), which I still think is a superb price for these headphones. But, I actually prefer the HD 650 color more than the HD 6XX, though color isn't that important to me and had I not bought the 650's, I would just as easily been happy with the 6XX. But the wait, though... glad I don't have that! :)

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,323 of 4,141
This second drop makes us all first drop joiners feel pretty awesome.

Lower price. 1 or 2 extra cables for free. Dope.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,325 of 4,141
The price increase kinda suck but the real kick in the gut is the 6 month wait. I mean they knew they would sell every one of these and people have been asking for the past six months to drop them again...they could have had these ready to go. I mean at the very least as a sorry you got screwed over by our servers the first time.

This second drop makes us all first drop joiners feel pretty awesome.

Lower price. 1 or 2 extra cables for free. Dope.

Dont gloat too much..I tried probably 15 times over the course of 2 hours from the minute the drop started so it wasn't for lack of trying.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #3,326 of 4,141
I'm not that optimistic as you lol. Don't forget the delivery date this time is 6 months after the drop:

Many might not be that patient since BF sales could potentially bring the HD650 price down closer and ship 1-2 months faster than MD too.

Furthermore, the countries availability for this drop is now much more limited. I noticed they won't be shipping to any Asian countries.
Thank goodness I got mine in the last drop as my country is excluded in this drop this time..

This. The HD 650 and 600 both drop in price quite regularly on Amazon, and both were at very low prices last Black Friday season.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,327 of 4,141
Dont gloat too much..I tried probably 15 times over the course of 2 hours from the minute the drop started so it wasn't for lack of trying.

I only got in through a pure stroke of luck. I spent a good hour trying to get through the system but ended up giving in and got some more sleep instead since it was 6am or something ridiculous.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was included in the first wave of emails.

I still don't quite understand what could warrant a $50 increase though. I mean the HD 650s have been around for ages. They shouldn't be that expensive to manufacture anymore.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,328 of 4,141
The price increase kinda suck but the real kick in the gut is the 6 month wait. I mean they knew they would sell every one of these and people have been asking for the past six months to drop them again...they could have had these ready to go. I mean at the very least as a sorry you got screwed over by our servers the first time.

This is how Massdrop works though and why they're even able to do this, because they can collect the money and put in a bulk order knowing exactly how many they need to fulfill. If Massdrop started buying everything from manufacturers in anticipation of drops they basically become a normal online retailer, taking on more risk and more overhead, raising prices. They do that for some drops, but it seems to only be things they know they're gonna have repeated drops for, which is not true of the HD6XX. If you want something right away, go to Amazon and order an HD650

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,329 of 4,141
I only got in through a pure stroke of luck. I spent a good hour trying to get through the system but ended up giving in and got some more sleep instead since it was 6am or something ridiculous.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was included in the first wave of emails.

I still don't quite understand what could warrant a $50 increase though. I mean the HD 650s have been around for ages. They shouldn't be that expensive to manufacture anymore.

Sennheiser probably doesn't want to permanently depress the price for the HD650s. I'm sure they're extremely cheap to make at this point, but they're a business after all, they'll charge what the market will pay and be happy for the profits

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,330 of 4,141
Sennheiser probably doesn't want to permanently depress the price for the HD650s. I'm sure they're extremely cheap to make at this point, but they're a business after all, they'll charge what the market will pay and be happy for the profits

That's the most likely reason imo, but Massdrop's claiming that Sennheiser's suppliers increased their prices. Is that just a cover up excuse? We may never know. I'd like to give Massdrop the benefit of the doubt, but not sure about Senn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back