Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Jun 27, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #6,226 of 6,504
I don't actually have a preference. However I'm looking for the most neutral and natural sounding combo. Much like my Crack/speedball and Hd 650 combo.

The HD800S is comparatively leaner and brighter than the HD650. Unless the Crack/speedball completely turns your 650's dark warm signature around, you might have to explore warmer upstream gear for the HD800S, if you like to replicate what you got now.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #6,227 of 6,504
I don't actually have a preference. However I'm looking for the most neutral and natural sounding combo. Much like my Crack/speedball and Hd 650 combo.

I wouldn't call the BH Crack/HD650 pairing neutral, more of the warmer side IMO, but it still does sound natural with some genres. When I tried the HD800S with a BH Crack it was a bit too warm for me where the HD800 is a better match. The Hugo is a great match for the HD800 but a bit too warm with the HD800S IMO, the HD800 seems to pair better with amps that are closer to neutral or a touch on the bright side where the HD800 pairs better with amps a touch on the warm side of neutral.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #6,228 of 6,504
The HD800S is comparatively leaner and brighter than the HD650. Unless the Crack/speedball completely turns your 650's dark warm signature around, you might have to explore warmer upstream gear for the HD800S, if you like to replicate what you got now.

I currently use Hugo with my HD 800 S and don't detect a leanness to the sound - on the contrary, bass extends well and has plenty of impact when it's there in the original recording (e.g. in electronic music, which probably makes up about 70% of my listening). I guess if you're used to a relatively warm sound signature as opposed to neutral, you might prefer a tube amp with the S. For me, I think it would be overkill. The only time I had a tube amp was back when I had a T1, which I feel is brighter than the S by a margin and benefited from the coloration.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #6,229 of 6,504
I currently use Hugo with my HD 800 S and don't detect a leanness to the sound - on the contrary, bass extends well and has plenty of impact when it's there in the original recording (e.g. in electronic music, which probably makes up about 70% of my listening). I guess if you're used to a relatively warm sound signature as opposed to neutral, you might prefer a tube amp with the S. For me, I think it would be overkill. The only time I had a tube amp was back when I had a T1, which I feel is brighter than the S by a margin and benefited from the coloration.

Agree. I only said it's lean when compared to the dark, thick and warm HD650 which @Jimbo24 was referencing. He's the one looking for an amp and seems to like something of a warm signature (his current system HD650 + BH speedball). I myself is shifting away from tube sound towards a clean neutral amp for my HD800S. Got a Jot heading my way.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,230 of 6,504
Agree. I only said it's lean when compared to the dark, thick and warm HD650 which @Jimbo24 was referencing. He's the one looking for an amp and seems to like something of a warm signature (his current system HD650 + BH speedball). I myself is shifting away from tube sound towards a clean neutral amp for my HD800S. Got a Jot heading my way.

Jotunheim is anything but neutral. I'm glad I sold mine for a good price. Ultimately the treble glare annoyed me to no end. I don't even like the pairing with Hd650 if I'm using silver cable.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #6,231 of 6,504
Windcar....could that "Treble glare" be coming from your DAC? The reason I say this is because before the Yggy, I used the DAC in with the Oppo HA-1 which uses the 9018 ESS Sabre DAC.....This DAC was also the source of Treble Glare....Subbing the Yggy in the HA-1 for the Sabre...using the exact same Amp...the Glare was totally gone!

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #6,233 of 6,504
Jotunheim is anything but neutral. I'm glad I sold mine for a good price. Ultimately the treble glare annoyed me to no end. I don't even like the pairing with Hd650 if I'm using silver cable.

Windcar....could that "Treble glare" be coming from your DAC? The reason I say this is because before the Yggy, I used the DAC in with the Oppo HA-1 which uses the 9018 ESS Sabre DAC.....This DAC was also the source of Treble Glare....Subbing the Yggy in the HA-1 for the Sabre...using the exact same Amp...the Glare was totally gone!

The Jot has 0% warmth which is what I'm after. I used it for a few days now and I can see why many people might call it harsh, but as @LarryMagoo pointed out, it comes down to pairing. I too got the Yggy upstream and through the HD800S I hear a forward and revealing SQ but nothing I would consider glaring or annoying. In fact swopping in my ATH-R70x the sound is very natural yet highly detailed. Zero glare.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6,234 of 6,504
Jul 5, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #6,235 of 6,504
I've been wondering about the HD800S so I decided to get a set from the Cable Co to demo at home on my setup. I received them Monday and have put a fair amount of listening in. I am reserving a final decision on them for a few days but just wanted to stop in and give my initial impressions. My chain is as follows.

MacBookPro running Roon > Cardas Clear USB > Ifi Iusb 3.0 > Cardas Clear USB > Ayre Codex > Cardas Clear interconnects > Violectric V281

My initial impressions is that they are a bit too overdone on the top end for my liking. The main cans that I am comparing them too are LCD-4's. The LCD-4's are much smoother and easier for me to listen too for an extended period of time without missing out on any details. I don't feel the HD800S is lacking in bass at all though. The bass is actually quite satisfying with just a touch of eq added.

I have them through the 17th so I am definitely going to be listening to them extensively during the time I have them. I really want to like these things! Ha

I have no problem with using EQ as it is already applied extensively throughout all the music we listen too so I will be setting down and trying to work out a curve that is satisfying for me with the HD800S. I'll check back in later and give a progress report.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #6,236 of 6,504
You ever try a Questyle amp? I am curious about its paring with HD650. I love it with the 800's. Find it neutral yet takes the edge of the treble off the 800

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #6,237 of 6,504
I've been wondering about the HD800S so I decided to get a set from the Cable Co to demo at home on my setup. I received them Monday and have put a fair amount of listening in. I am reserving a final decision on them for a few days but just wanted to stop in and give my initial impressions. My chain is as follows.

MacBookPro running Roon > Cardas Clear USB > Ifi Iusb 3.0 > Cardas Clear USB > Ayre Codex > Cardas Clear interconnects > Violectric V281

My initial impressions is that they are a bit too overdone on the top end for my liking. The main cans that I am comparing them too are LCD-4's. The LCD-4's are much smoother and easier for me to listen too for an extended period of time without missing out on any details. I don't feel the HD800S is lacking in bass at all though. The bass is actually quite satisfying with just a touch of eq added.

I have them through the 17th so I am definitely going to be listening to them extensively during the time I have them. I really want to like these things! Ha

I have no problem with using EQ as it is already applied extensively throughout all the music we listen too so I will be setting down and trying to work out a curve that is satisfying for me with the HD800S. I'll check back in later and give a progress report.

Man I don't see how anyone can tolerate the weight of of the '4's....Tried them on at a Can Jam this year and they start to slide off my head at the slightest look down....Before I got my new DAC I would have agreed about the top end off the 800S, but now it's smooth as silk....that change makes a huge SQ difference IMO...

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #6,238 of 6,504
Man I don't see how anyone can tolerate the weight of of the '4's....Tried them on at a Can Jam this year and they start to slide off my head at the slightest look down....Before I got my new DAC I would have agreed about the top end off the 800S, but now it's smooth as silk....that change makes a huge SQ difference IMO...

In my system HD800S top end is smooth as silk - and bottom to top is pure joy.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #6,239 of 6,504

I don't have an issue with the weight. They actually fit me fairly well. I can definitely see how it could become an issue for people with smaller heads (not a problem I have, lol). What DAC are you using? I definitely feel like my Codex is very, very revealing. Maybe too much so for the HD800S.

In my system HD800S top end is smooth as silk - and bottom to top is pure joy.

I'm not saying its not smooth. But, it's definitely not as smooth as the LCD-4's. I believe in tuning with EQ, so I will invest some time in that. I see your on a tube amp. Mine is SS, while it is a lush sounding SS amp, it still isn't as lush as tubes. It may just be that tubes are needed to tame the HD800S to the point that I would be satisfied with it.

EDIT: I don't want anyone to think i'm speaking badly about the HD800S. Its just a bit of a change. I really want to like them.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #6,240 of 6,504
You ever try a Questyle amp? I am curious about its paring with HD650. I love it with the 800's. Find it neutral yet takes the edge of the treble off the 800

Do you mean the CMA800R? That's an amp I may consider in future. So it's less edgy than the Jot while still being neutral? Any other ways that you find it superior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back