Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 6, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #2,282 of 8,788
Just received it yesterday.. wasn't impressed at first because of my very high expectations. Thought an HD600 was better (i still do when it comes to certain kind of music but the intensity is reducing the more i listen to hd800s) but i'm slowly starting to get addicted.

The only real problem so far is the fit,, is a bit too loose on my head. Is there any way i can tighten the grip? (Maybe thicker earpads?)

Also do you guys know of any shorter aftermarket cable that isn't too expensive? 6.5mm or 3.5mm

May 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,284 of 8,788
Replacement pads and changing the cable would alter the sound that these cans are famous for... I guess you have to solve the fit issue, but you are probably aware that these minor mods are still mods to the sound

May 6, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,285 of 8,788
Just received it yesterday.. wasn't impressed at first because of my very high expectations. Thought an HD600 was better (i still do when it comes to certain kind of music but the intensity is reducing the more i listen to hd800s) but i'm slowly starting to get addicted.

The only real problem so far is the fit,, is a bit too loose on my head. Is there any way i can tighten the grip? (Maybe thicker earpads?)

Also do you guys know of any shorter aftermarket cable that isn't too expensive? 6.5mm or 3.5mm
Wearing a hat (form-fitted baseball cap) adds just enough extra circumference for the 800S to fit snugly. Also, don't forget about break-in before comparison to other headphones.

May 8, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,287 of 8,788
Hiii, is the HD800S better than the Focal Elear?

Is the best solid state amp for the HD800S the HDVA600?

Thank you in advance!

Have a read of Tyll's review of the Elear on Innerfidelity. It seems he prefers it over the HD800S but having auditioned the Elear quite closely myself, I find it a matter of taste. The qualities that led people to own the Senn isn't what they seek in the Elear. They are quite different cans, and Tyll did describe each strengths quite accurately.

As for the SS amp, you're gonna have a lot of opinions about what's considered best. Again down to sonic tastes. No doubt the HDVA is made with their flagship cans in mind and there will be great synergy. You might want to wait and check out their coming HDV820. Should be an improvement over the current offering.

May 8, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2,288 of 8,788
Have a read of Tyll's review of the Elear on Innerfidelity. It seems he prefers it over the HD800S but having auditioned the Elear quite closely myself, I find it a matter of taste. The qualities that led people to own the Senn isn't what they seek in the Elear. They are quite different cans, and Tyll did describe each strengths quite accurately.

As for the SS amp, you're gonna have a lot of opinions about what's considered best. Again down to sonic tastes. No doubt the HDVA is made with their flagship cans in mind and there will be great synergy. You might want to wait and check out their coming HDV820. Should be an improvement over the current offering.

@roiosdona Here's the link I mentioned in the post above.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...al-elear-headphone-page-2#ExGmvGe7vQ1ZQDSm.97

May 11, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #2,290 of 8,788
Hiii, is the HD800S better than the Focal Elear?

Is the best solid state amp for the HD800S the HDVA600?

Thank you in advance!
I have compared the Elear and Utopia to the HD800S via an HDVD800. I feel that while the Utopia is a very good headphone there are certain aspects of its presentation which are not as good as the HD800S and some that are possibly better. Overall my preference remains with the HD800S as it performs better in the aspects that matter to me that is stereo imaging and neutrality. The Elear I felt sounded like it was rolled off at either end and the bass did not extend to the level of the Utopia nor even the 800S and it felt less well defined. The top end was too smooth and lacked sparkle. The stereo imaging was not as good as either the Utopia or HD800S. I also think there are better SS headphone amps than the Sennheiser for about the same money.

May 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,293 of 8,788
What tubes would people recommend for the HD 800S with the Valhalla 2? Got the stock ones currently, was just looking for "better" ones with a similar sound signature
I got some 1975 6n23p voskhod along with a pair of 6n6p-IR and really impressed

May 11, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,294 of 8,788
I have compared the Elear and Utopia to the HD800S via an HDVD800. I feel that while the Utopia is a very good headphone there are certain aspects of its presentation which are not as good as the HD800S and some that are possibly better. Overall my preference remains with the HD800S as it performs better in the aspects that matter to me that is stereo imaging and neutrality. The Elear I felt sounded like it was rolled off at either end and the bass did not extend to the level of the Utopia nor even the 800S and it felt less well defined. The top end was too smooth and lacked sparkle. The stereo imaging was not as good as either the Utopia or HD800S. I also think there are better SS headphone amps than the Sennheiser for about the same money.

Bass heft is a major reason why I'm considering the Elear as an alternative to my more linear HD800S. Was it during an A/B test that you felt the Elear's bass isn't as good as the Sennheiser? I heard the former during an audition, did notice the smooth, thick tonality in general, but unfortunately didn't do an A/B so my impression could be caused by the gear upstream.

May 12, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #2,295 of 8,788
Bass heft is a major reason why I'm considering the Elear as an alternative to my more linear HD800S. Was it during an A/B test that you felt the Elear's bass isn't as good as the Sennheiser? I heard the former during an audition, did notice the smooth, thick tonality in general, but unfortunately didn't do an A/B so my impression could be caused by the gear upstream.
I guess it depends on the aspects of each headphones presentation matter the most to you. I didn't think the Elear had a more extended bass than the HD800S just it was more emphasised and that is not something I prefer. The Utopia had more bass emphasis but it was tighter and seemed more extended than the Elear. Overall the Elear reminded me much more like a HD600 kind of sound although I didn't have one on hand to compare directly. If I wanted a warmer less neutral sound I think I'd get the HD600 and use the difference for something else like vinyl, Maybe try comparing the Elear to the HD600 and see if it fits your preferences or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back