Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 23, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #2,236 of 8,765
I finally got a pair of the 800S. It's too soon to post any impressions, but they definitely have the most expansive soundstage I've ever heard.
Quick question to you long time owners. How long does it take for the treble to smooth out? Out of the box, it's a little cold and harsh to my ears. It's not Beyerdynamic harsh, but it's a little hot. Right now it reminds me a little of my old Grado 325's, which I had to sell because of the treble.

There is a bunch of it depends going on there

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,237 of 8,765
I finally got a pair of the 800S. It's too soon to post any impressions, but they definitely have the most expansive soundstage I've ever heard.
Quick question to you long time owners. How long does it take for the treble to smooth out? Out of the box, it's a little cold and harsh to my ears. It's not Beyerdynamic harsh, but it's a little hot. Right now it reminds me a little of my old Grado 325's, which I had to sell because of the treble.

May I suggest a colored, lush, warm tube amp?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,238 of 8,765
There is a bunch of it depends going on there

May I suggest a colored, lush, warm tube amp?

Unfortunately I don't own a tube amp and just dropped a lot of dough for these. Are you all saying that the treble out of the box isn't going to change much after the drivers burn in? I've found that most headphones, after driver diaphragms break in, gain smoother treble and a little rise in bass. Please tell me this is at least somewhat true with these :astonished:

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #2,239 of 8,765
Unfortunately I don't own a tube amp and just dropped a lot of dough for these. Are you all saying that the treble out of the box isn't going to change much after the drivers burn in? I've found that most headphones, after driver diaphragms break in, gain smoother treble and a little rise in bass. Please tell me this is at least somewhat true with these :astonished:

I wouldn't expect them to. Then again, I've never heard a single headphone "break in" before, either.

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2,240 of 8,765
Mine only have about 5 hours on them at this point so I cant help you with that question but I've always found after breaking in a speaker.. the effects are pretty mild and sometimes don't change at all. If you are that sensitive to high frequencies then maybe it's not for you.. I wouldn't rely solely on burn in.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,242 of 8,765
What i meant was the dac, source, preferences at play. I didnt feel such is an issue, but dont feel bad. Try what you like and build off that. Get used to them.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #2,243 of 8,765
I kind of agree about the 800S's being "blurry" at times, although that's not the word that comes to mind for me. Sometimes, they seem a bit diffuse or too spread out. I guess it's what some refer to as "unnatural soundstage." There are simply times when my Alpha Primes are the better, or more enjoyable, headphone.

Regardless, the detail, imaging, and overall presentation still make them the best cans I own. "Blurry" suggests to me that they lack detail, which is totally not my experience. If anything thing, they're detail monsters.

Just my thoughts...

I actually mean blurry. The Utopia is clearer. The HD 800 have details but they are washed a bit. Alteast that is on the Chord Dave listening to classical music for example.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #2,244 of 8,765
Any advice please?
Especially from someone who have listened to both HPs.

I'm about to pull the trigger and still debating between the HD 800S (not 800) and Sony MDR-Z1R.
I know all about the merits and de-merits of open and closed back HPs, so let's not debate that.
Also please no advice on getting out and listen to them; I live in the Caribbean, we don't have access to high-end audios where I can just walk in and listen.

I'm just hoping someone can give me their own opinion based on use of these headphones.
Thank you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2,245 of 8,765
Depends on what you want. The Z1R is a V-shaped headphone with subwoofer bass boost. The HD 800 S is a neutral headphone.

In terms of technical performance, thet play both at the same ballpark according to my ears so it's going to be about preferences.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,246 of 8,765
Give yourself about 2-3 days of only listening to the HD800S.  You'll note quite a few changes in that time.  Is it burn-in?  Well yes - but not the headphones.  Each time you listen, the brain stores the information, and automatically compensates - basically applies its own filter on what sounds OK.  As you get more used to a certain signature, it generally becomes easier to listen to.

And for those who scoff at the idea, here's something you can do yourself.  Take a slower warmer headphone, and a faster brighter one (eg HD600/650 vs Grado or Beyer).  Listen first to the Senns for about half an hour - sounds slightly warm, perfect tonality, great vocals.  Now switch to the Grado/Beyer with same music. If its a Grado they will sound unnaturally bright, narrow stage, bass-light, harsh.  Within about half an hour, you'll start hearing them as exciting, mid-forward, edgy, energetic.  You won't note the missing bass so much, and the staging won't seem as much narrow as just being on stage (which is pretty cool for rock).  Did the drivers change in that 1/2 hour - no, your brain compensated. Now switch back to the Senns, and they'll seem slow, overly warm, maybe a bit dull, much wider stage, a bit veiled. After another half an hour or so that will change slowly back to your original impressions.

So in short - give your brain a chance to compensate properly (and leave other headphones alone while you do it - back and forth switching does not help).  If they are still overly bright after 2-3 days, they simply aren't for you.

Quote:

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,247 of 8,765
Depends on what you want. The Z1R is a V-shaped headphone with subwoofer bass boost. The HD 800 S is a neutral headphone.

In terms of technical performance, thet play both at the same ballpark according to my ears so it's going to be about preferences.

I mean, I wouldn't call the 800s neutral per se, but I'll say this. The Z1R sounded very unengaging to my test. It sounded wonderful, just like there was a small gap between myself and it.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #2,249 of 8,765
Thank you for that insight and recommendation. That's exactly what I will do.

Agree good suggestion by Brooko.  When I first got my HD800 S the drivers sounded stiff.  There was sibilance on certain vocals that I noticed in the first hour of listening.  A few days latter that sibilance just melted away.  Not sure how many hours but would guess 30 or so.  Detail improved over time while still getting smoother and more liquid.  It is like an airbrushed photo at first then reverts back to the original image with time.  I like my photos to be minimally processed, I like women without makeup.  The same goes for the reproduction of recorded music.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #2,250 of 8,765
Agree good suggestion by Brooko.  When I first got my HD800 S the drivers sounded stiff.  There was sibilance on certain vocals that I noticed in the first hour of listening.  A few days latter that sibilance just melted away.  Not sure how many hours but would guess 30 or so.  Detail improved over time while still getting smoother and more liquid.  It is like an airbrushed photo at first then reverts back to the original image with time.  I like my photos to be minimally processed, I like women without makeup.  The same goes for the reproduction of recorded music.

Yea EQ is for the birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back